ooooooooooo

Never expected to incur my first bits of damage while on the road

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I got sideswiped while taking the Roxor to pick up my son from school on Friday. With my tires being wide and having wheel spacers the tires (and therefore suspension) took the brunt of the hit. The body damage is minor and doesn't really bother me as I expect rack up a few dings and dents along the way.

But the front leaf springs are obviously shot and the rear's look like they may have flattened a little too. Insurance inspector is supposed to be contacting me today or tomorrow, and after that I'll have a local dealer or shop look at it, but I'm kind of anxious to get parts sorted.

Anybody got OEM springs leftover from doing a lift? If not it looks like leadersrpmshop has the best price for new springs.

I'm worried about the shocks too. Anyone got any recommendations on stock size shock replacements? Bilstien? KYB? Also any other suggestions on anything else I should make sure gets inspected?

BackDriverSideDamage3.jpg

RearBumperDamage1.jpg

FrontDriversSideLeafSpringDamage2.jpg

FrontPassengerSideLeafSpringDamage2.jpg

RearDriverSideLeafSpringDamage1.jpg

RearPassengerSideLeafSpringDamage2.jpg

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Alot of your problem was that spring over kit. They’re notorious for bending leafs Just too much leverage on them. Glad it’s a fairly easy fix for you. Good luck with the insurance getting things sorted out.

I have a set of good fronts and some sagging rears. Also have stock shocks. Don’t really care to deal with packaging and shipping them. I can throw them in truck and get them to Gallup, NM on my way to/from Moab.

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yeah, the BMF lift was on there when I bought it. It's left a bit to be desired for sure. Long term I'd like to do the the climax off-road long travel/yj conversation kit but it's not in the cards right now. I need to bolt some things in and get it back in service.

I appreciate the insights on the leafs. For shocks I think I'll go ahead and order the KYBs. The price is good and reviews seem good too.

For the leafs, my wife has family in Moab so I might be able to arrange a pick up. I'll talk to her and see if it's feasible. Otherwise I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get new ones.

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm so tempted. We scheduled my son's birthday party for 4/9 and invited his whole class and our family. The wife might not forgive me for backtracking on that.

I expect it will be loads of fun though.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I won’t be there that day. His party is safe. I’ll be there the last weekend of EJS and part of the next week.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That socks man, hope no one was hurt. Any other damage to the underside?

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That socks man, hope no one was hurt. Any other damage to the underside?
Luckily no one was hurt. I was going straight through a greenlight when an older gentleman turned left on front of me. I think he confused the greenlight for a green arrow. I was able to slam on the brakes and crank the wheel and take the hit in the side instead of head on. It could have been a lot worse. And his car certainly had a lot more damage than the Roxor.

I can't see any other visible damage underneath. And I might just be paranoid about the stuff I can't see.

The half door did take a hit but it wasn't too bad. Just bent at the bracket where the top hinge is. A few light hits with a sledge and it was as good as new. I was actually considering losing the half doors for summertime but fate has caused me to reconsider.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@BookBarbarian: Adding to your options, checkout spring manufacturers in downtown Phoenix.
- Dunbar Springs
- VSS Valley Springs

For a price, they will custom fab just about any leaf spring.... (pricey, but if one goes that route, may as well be with a local company).

I called Dunbar after I bought my Roxor in 2019 to get an opinion on what options I had for a mild 2" lift. Back then there was not much other than the add-a-leaf (in the front). They explained to me what they can do as far as lift, harder / softer ride and suggested that I drive the machine for some time to know what exactly I wanted. Great advise altogether.

...I went with the add-a-leaf for about $140 done at a shop 10 mins from home....

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Quick update. My insurance ruled the other party 100% at fault (no surprise) so there may be a chance the other party's insurance covers the whole thing and I'm not out my deductible. My insurance inspector should have his repair estimate done tomorrow. Finger's crossed they just cut me a check for that amount without too much hassle.

It's been a pain but altogether things are going as smoothly as can be expected. I've made short trips (3-5 miles at a time) with it on the shot springs and it's no fun that's for sure.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Glad you are getting it taken care of. I hope they do the right thing and pay you.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That’s good news. Hope it works out for ya.

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I too got sideswiped and he ran off. I made a set of rails that saved me. We barely traded paint but those side rails made from catwalk with 2x3/8th ends put a good trough down the side of his car.

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I too got sideswiped and he ran off. I made a set of rails that saved me. We barely traded paint but those side rails made from catwalk with 2x3/8th ends put a good trough down the side of his car.
I need to put some proper rock sliders on mine, but the side step sure left a impression on the other car.

Wrench

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have a set of Fronts, removed new off a 2020. I'm from Utah and do alot of work at Mesa Gateway airport, I could throw them in the airplane and bring them down on April 17th.

Wrench

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have lots of other parts, I'm sure i have the bumper caps too. Let me know what else you might need.