ooooooooooo

Need electrical opinions

Buckpasser

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic. Don’t be afraid to ask me for more information or be offended if I’m a bit slow keeping up.

Alright, here’s the issue. My battery died tonight and I had to be jumped off. Before I could make it home I lost headlights and eventually the engine died. I replaced with a new upgrade battery and limped home. I’m trickle charging that battery now.

The machine is a ‘19 but still under the 2000 mile warranty (somewhere). I know this sounds like a simple alternator issue, which apparently isn’t working. The only thing that makes me wonder is that my dash cluster is still waiting for replacement. It was dead except for the backlighting when I bought my Roxor, and the dealer is waiting on my replacement.

Do you think the cluster being out could be causing the alternator to not be cycling on? If not, am I the only alternator issue guy here or are they known to be faulty? Thanks in advance!

Buckpasser

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I recall reading here or on a Facebook group someone had cluster issues and noted that the alternator wouldn’t charge with the cluster unplugged. So yes I’d say once your cluster is fixed your alternator will work once again.

That was my fear. Thank you so much!

Buckpasser

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I ran a jumper from the post on top of the alternator (under the harness) to the positive post of battery and the alternator is now running. It’s maintaining 13 volts on my two test drives. Any good reason I can’t safely roll this way until my cluster arrives? Thanks again!

Also, if I don’t disconnect the jumper wire each time is it likely to drain my battery?

Buckpasser

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I left it plugged in all day today and had no ill effects. I’ll try it overnight and test it, but I think it’ll work without the need to unplug or install a switch on that wire. Please let me know if anyone knows something I don’t.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Buckpasser: if you have a simple, hand held meter, you can measure if there is any leakage current on the jumper you put in.

Also, you can find the electrical schematics for the Roxor on this forum. See to what the alternator connects. That way you're sure the jumper does not feed any current or voltage where its not supposed to go.

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just looked at the wiring diagram. Usually the lamp terminal (the wire running to the gauge cluster) only comes on when there is a problem. I don't see how it could affect operation. My guess would be that you burned out the fusible link in the wire going to the B+ terminal. That wire is responsible for telling the alternator when to turn on. That's why it works when you introduce a jumper wire. I would test that wire for continuity and then replace the link if it needs it. I believe the R designation means the wire is red so that should help you identify it. Good luck, we're here for you if you get stuck.
Screenshot_20210513-014501.png

Screenshot_20210513-014501.png

Buckpasser

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My cluster replacement FINALLY arrived last week. I was able to go collect it and install it this week, and FWIW, the factory exciter wire is now working again. I believe it is in fact controlled by the cluster, as txroadkill said or at least disabled by the absence of it. It is so nice to have an idea of fuel level, speed, and RPMs at a glance!