ooooooooooo

My review/opinion of the Mahindra Roxor.

B

Bister

October 2018

This is my review of the Mahindra ROXOR off road side x side. This might get a little long. To not keep you in suspense till the end, I love this thing.

A little back ground. We grew up with a couple old Willy’s on the farm when I was a kid. We used them around the farm for utility vehicles and for fun. When I came across these in the spring of 2018, a lot of memories came back. I got in touch using the contact information I could find online and was quickly contacted from Mahindra’s Canadian division, who passed my information on to the western Canadian rep, Gerry Picard. Gerry quickly contacted me, and we exchanged numbers and have been in contact over the summer via text and phone calls. Gerry has tried to answer any questions I had. I understand this is all new to everyone, but things went well. It took a bit longer to get them to Canada than expected, but it got here.

Now for what I had and what I use it for. I currently have a 2007 side x side with 30,000 kilometres on it, I am sure I am one of the higher mileage units out there. It has been good, but it is literally worn out. It has been used, but not abused. Numerous wheel bearings, belts, brakes, axles, cv boots, tires, steering components, clutch servicing and repairs later, it is still running, but I don’t go far with it and I keep a pretty close eye on the oil level. I have used it for everything from doing ATV rally’s, towing trailers, hauling wood out of the valley and using it as a daily driver to take the dogs out and go to my cabin seven kilometres away in the Cutarm Valley in Saskatchewan. I no longer do rally’s, I had my fill, just not my thing any more. I still cut wood and have to haul it home and to the cabin. With my old side x side, the loads are getting pretty small, she’s having a tough time in the hills. With the ROXOR, I will be able to use my bigger trailer and I’m sure I won’t even notice that it is back there. I was always concerned in the hills with the other unit, scared of being pushed down the hill. So, I kept the loads pretty small and they kept getting smaller with age. I won’t have to do that now. This ROXOR is going to be a dream for hauling and towing, verses my old unit, for many years to come. As for the dogs, the extra room is a huge bonus. I have closed in my old unit and installed a heater, but it is still cold and dusty. Having enclosures and a heater available is nice.

I have only had my unit for a short time and a few friends have been out for rides. The first thing they notice is how quiet it is verses the SXS’s currently on the market. You can sneak up on people with the ROXOR, almost like an electric car. It is nice not having that engine screaming between the seats and the dust coming into the unit. The next is the low-end torque. Unbelievable. And third, is that it is a bit rougher, but we know that is from the old school suspension. I always have said “I don’t go far, and I don’t go fast”; although the ROXOR is very capable of both.

If you’re looking for an off-road utility vehicle for racing and jumping ditches, this probably isn’t the best choice for you. But if your looking for a unit for work, hunting or around a farm or acreage, this is definitely the unit you want. It is also more than a capable fun vehicle for playing and doing the 4x4 thing. The options of what you can do with this unit are amazing. Already there are guys building big off-road units, lift kits, big tires, lockers, etc. There are aftermarket parts and accessories showing up and this is only the beginning the way I see it. I feel this unit will be around for a long time in this configuration, so more and more stuff is going to show up over time that will fit your unit even in years from now, giving you the option of personalizing the ROXOR to your needs. There are even track kits available for it. I have been told things like a hard cab and snow plow are on the way. I am sure they have lots of ideas and things they can do with the ROXOR.

As mentioned at the beginning, I have had my current unit for 11 years and 30,000 kilometres and it is done. I feel that in 11 years and 30,000 kilometres on the ROXOR, I’ll be doing a few oil changes and standard maintenance, not rebuilding it and worrying if it’s going to make another season of hauling wood and taking the dogs out.

In closing, this is what sold me on the ROXOR and I can’t say it any better than Mahindra did:

Mahindra’s more than 70-year automotive history has been forged by making authentic, rugged, purpose-driven vehicles. Unlike its plastic-bodied, tubular-framed, belt-driven Side x Side competitors, ROXOR features a steel body on a boxed steel frame, comes with a turbo-diesel 4 cylinder engine, 5-speed automotive manual transmission and wheels, tires, and brakes far larger than conventional Side x Sides.

Like I said at the beginning, I love this thing. Can’t wait to get some more seat time in it.

Les Salkeld
Gerald, Saskatchewan
Canada

1540348080804.png

B

Bister

Well said!

There are points I even left out to not get too long, I could have wrote another page I'm sure. Like washing the ROXOR vs old one. A 5 minute rinse with a pressure washer and your good to go. 3 hours on my old one and I still can't get the mud out of places that is been for 3 years. Then there is working on it. I always hate fixing my old one, and I've done it lots, just no room, everything is packed in so tight....or filled with mud.lol. Even checking/changing the oil and air filter, you have to dismantle the inside, everything is under a plastic cover held together with those stupid plastic push clip screw things. I'm keeping the old one, not worth anything anymore, I'll fix what is wrong again and keep it around if someone else wants to come for a ride or something. Instead of 3000 kilometres per year, it might get 300, if that much. I'll let them compare them. lol

Then I'm sure there are thing you guys can add.

B

Bister

And I didn’t even mention the mileage difference. 14-15 tops on the old one.

Shortbus

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Awesome write up, I could not have said it better myself. Again 30,000 km is like 7 1/2 miles right ? Stay away from the wildwood weed,I heard that it’s legal through the whole Frigid north now. If it was not so damn cold I might move up there when I retire. Then again maybe not when 60° is chili for me .