ooooooooooo

My beef with Mahindra

Djrmt406

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I thought about it but backed off when I saw that several mentioned clearance issues and damage to the shocks.
Is there enough wiggle room for a small adjustment without risk or is not enough to make a difference?
I was able to adjust mine about two turns before worrying about clearance or brake issues.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I basically disabled the stops lol. I’m just careful driver I guess.

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have had a couple of sxs and an ace 570 all are on a different page than my roxor. I will stay with the roxor. Let me know if many high reving machines will do a 100,000 plus miles without a rebuild.

B

Bister

I have had a couple of sxs and an ace 570 all are on a different page than my roxor. I will stay with the roxor. Let me know if many high reving machines will do a 100,000 plus miles without a rebuild.
I got 30,000 kilometers out of my Rhino, but I wouldn't have done it if I had to pay full price for replacement parts from Yamaha and if I had to have a shop do the work. It now has parts on it from China and I was able to do it myself. I was looking at what to replace it with 2 years ago when I came across the Roxor release on line with in a day or 2 of the original release. My mind was made up in 5 minutes. I got a hold of Roxor and they lined me up with the rep and he lined me up with a dealer and I bought it sight unseen. It took a while for them to get the dealers set up in Canada and get the units here, but I got it Oct 2018 and now have 9600 kilometers on it and I will never go back to the plastic stuff. I had to drive 1400 kilometers round trip to get, but since then a local dealer came and test drove mine and took on the Roxor line, now I'm only 40 kilometers from my (new) dealer. I have even done a trade show for him that he couldn't make it to & willing to help with more and have done short videos for his dealership for his Facebook page.

oldgreybull

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I've been through a Mule and two Rangers and they are a far cry from the all steel Roxor with boxed frame and automotive components - no comparison.
But bear in mind that my use is strictly as a utility vehicle on my property moving trailers or launching boats from my sandy lake beach, and short jaunts within a few miles of my house. For me peed is not an issue and rock climbing or mud bogs are something to avoid. Most of the time it's me and my Rottweiler and the biggest hill to climb is whatever the gophers made overnight.
I had a CJ2A completely restored that suited me just fine, but in a moment of madness I let it go. I guess it's true that everything is for sale at a price :).
Anyway, besides being a little bigger than I would prefer (the CJ2A was just right), the stock Roxor is perfect - heck luxurious. And if in time it turns out that I can make it street legal, so much the better; I've already added the required accessories signals, windshield etc.

Roxor rgt front 1.jpg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've been through a Mule and two Rangers and they are a far cry from the all steel Roxor with boxed frame and automotive components - no comparison.
But bear in mind that my use is strictly as a utility vehicle on my property moving trailers or launching boats from my sandy lake beach, and short jaunts within a few miles of my house. For me peed is not an issue and rock climbing or mud bogs are something to avoid. Most of the time it's me and my Rottweiler and the biggest hill to climb is whatever the gophers made overnight.
I had a CJ2A completely restored that suited me just fine, but in a moment of madness I let it go. I guess it's true that everything is for sale at a price :).
Anyway, besides being a little bigger than I would prefer (the CJ2A was just right), the stock Roxor is perfect - heck luxurious. And if in time it turns out that I can make it street legal, so much the better; I've already added the required accessories signals, windshield etc.

View attachment 6050

Great feedback. You wouldn't be the first guy on FL roads legally.

928dennis

Just thought I would check back in with you guys, we are putting on a Rough Country front end lift kit on and this is what we found, The rear spring hanger bracket has major wear on one side' this is the pass side. The pictures don't show how bad it is, this is a scary thought if that bracket broke off. This is only after a few hundred miles of off roading. Not what you would expect from any UTV, I was told by the guys over at Sherwood tractor they have seen these brackets bending and I can see why now. I am sure in time it will wear on the Rough Country bracket as well. As I said these things are not up to moderate off roading, and to excuse it dose not fix it. I understand most of you will not off road to the level I do but this is B.S .I have owned several 4 wheel drive suv's, Xterra offroad package, 2001 Ford Explore Sport and drove them harder off road then I could ever drive the Roxor since it will beat the crap out of you. I question if I should sale the dam thing, without a major rework of the frontend this thing will be a problem if you enjoy moderate off roading, If I were most of guys I would check this bracket every so often. Just a note I don't jump this thing, I use it in rocky areas that work the susupension and certainly don't drive it fast since it rides so rough. I would welcome anyone to follow me around and see for yourself that I am not abusing it, for the most part I think they are built well, but?

20200308_151600.jpg 20200308_151612 (1).jpg

oldgreybull

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sounds to me like you've reached the right conclusion and the Roxor doesn't suit your needs.
You mentioned earlier that, "I am in a very small percentage who really enjoy rough 4 wheeling", and several times have expressed the opinion that, "these things (Roxors) are not up to moderate off roading". Spending money rebuilding something not suited for what you need is a recipe for frustration.
I had to chuckle about your reference that your lawn mower had a better ride"; I know what you mean, those big springy seats are comfy!
And I know a little about Dodge Power Wagons you mentioned - but the oldies. I used to drive one in the 60's when I was a teenager in the Andes Mountains of Bolivia. It could be real thrill loaded with 6 drums of fuel in the back when you come around a curve at night and find a heard of donkeys laying there soaking up the heat from the blacktop. Humm, shear rock on one side, 500' drop off on the other, bunch of donkeys in front, 300 gallons of diesel behind - well. I'm still here :)!
I'd find a home for that Roxor with someone who doesn't mind putzing along nice and easy and then maybe replace it whith - who knows - maybe a shiny new Power Wagon with a lawn mower seat?! Life's too short - cut your losses and have fun!

928dennis

You know Mahindra brings these things out west here to show case them at the bigger off road events, such as Easter Jeep Safari in Moab UT, King of the Hammers in Calif,. these are very hard core events if you have never been. So if they are out there giving the impression these things are that tough shame on them. This is just a Dog and Pony show for them, I don't use mine anywhere near as hard as those levels. I am going to forward the pictures to Mahindra and the Dealer I bought it from, you know what they will do or say? "0" I have already down that road with Mahindra. Yes I will go away and shut up and let you guys enjoy them but I know there are guys on this forum who use them like I do and welcome the info, I would.

oldgreybull

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As you said earlier, "Boy you guys are sensitive" - now who's in a dither?
Come on amigo, I'm generally agreeing with you - "I question if I should sale the dam thing, without a major rework of the frontend this thing will be a problem".
If your Roxor can't handle what you dish out then best find something that can. Like the old doc said to the patient that complained his eye hurt when he rubbed it, "don't rub it".
I understand you're unhappy, that doesn't mean I have to be unhappy too.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Am I reading this right?

Buys stock Willys in 2020. Not happy with stock wheeling capability though most are.. Cries on forum to mostly deaf ears. Insinuates no one is as cool as he is.

Normally when shops demo their ride wheeling, and hit a weak point, they mod it to fit their need instead of complain.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I don't mean to pile on.. but just in case anyone hasn't heard:

Yes, that says stock class. That doesn't mean stock stock, but notice how the Roxor beat the other "stock class" vehicles. So I'd say it's comparatively pretty darn good.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just thought I would check back in with you guys, we are putting on a Rough Country front end lift kit on and this is what we found, The rear spring hanger bracket has major wear on one side' this is the pass side. The pictures don't show how bad it is, this is a scary thought if that bracket broke off. This is only after a few hundred miles of off roading. Not what you would expect from any UTV, I was told by the guys over at Sherwood tractor they have seen these brackets bending and I can see why now. I am sure in time it will wear on the Rough Country bracket as well. As I said these things are not up to moderate off roading, and to excuse it dose not fix it. I understand most of you will not off road to the level I do but this is B.S .I have owned several 4 wheel drive suv's, Xterra offroad package, 2001 Ford Explore Sport and drove them harder off road then I could ever drive the Roxor since it will beat the crap out of you. I question if I should sale the dam thing, without a major rework of the frontend this thing will be a problem if you enjoy moderate off roading, If I were most of guys I would check this bracket every so often. Just a note I don't jump this thing, I use it in rocky areas that work the susupension and certainly don't drive it fast since it rides so rough. I would welcome anyone to follow me around and see for yourself that I am not abusing it, for the most part I think they are built well, but?

View attachment 6063 View attachment 6064
That is disturbing...I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

sandyx

Founding Member
Ned bacon did the norra and came out unscathed in a stock stock roxor, atleast mechanically. His shackles wore out and that's it. I believe he did another rally after that without any further issues. Wen they say keep pumping grease into leaves often, they ain't kidding. Do it.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I posted about this last week on my build thread. Leafs haven’t evolved much over the years but on thing that has is how they mount.

The Roxor uses the big 7/8 to 5/8 shouldered bolt. You pinching the nut up against the shoulder and hanger and creating a bar for the spring to pivot on.

Old Willys used this same method. No poly bushing just a spring width steel or bronze sleeve pressed into the spring eye.

ee02e80734607bffd103c4ea48902f1d.jpg

Newer leafs use a poly or rubber bushing with a shoulder and a sleeve. When you tighten the hanger bolt the sleeve is being pinched and the bushing rides on that sleeve. The bushing shoulders keeping the spring center , giving the spring a wider range of motion and a smoother ride.

54e8d6e32b22b4c66785f355b029244a.jpg

There is not much you can do about this on the roxor. The hanger is not wide enough to fit a modern 2.5 spring with a bushing. I am removing the hangers and welding in a 3 inch wide hanger for the YJ springs. But my use is a bit harder then most.

The other problem is the shackle side. There is a rubber bushing to allow some flex but the sleeve is bonded to the rubber not allowing it to rotate as the suspension compresses. This will eat away at the shackle with hard use. Once again, leafs with a newer style bushing, the sleeve rotates inside the poly bushing eliminating this. It’s best to put 5/8 grade 8 washers inside the shackles so the ware item is a cheap washer not the shackle.

These are all reasons why I decided to come up with a YJ conversion kit. Better ride. More travel. And increased life of parts. It fixes all of the problems. Jeeps have evolved, the Roxor is modeled after a Jeep with suspension that is now obsolete.

Keep them greased. A lot of grease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Time to pull out the ol grease gun, I am afraid to look as I drive in a wet and gritty environment. Are the shackles hard to replace if they are getting worn out?

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Max A. at least you are solving what you perceived as a 4 wheeling off road enthusiast problem and making your Roxor fit your needs. You didn't come on here trashing Mahindra and say they won't fix it. The OP came on here crying about its not up to par, who's par his, not the rest of us. Then he wants to throw people under the bus for speaking up! You came on here and said hey I'm going to do this build b/c I don't think the stock version is up to the stds I need to truly off road the way I want to and now you have a good bit of Roxor enthusiast following your build and are making some extra cash along the way to help pay for your adventure. You had a problem and solved it, the OP had a problem and complained about it. Good job Max A.