ooooooooooo

Mitchell's Roxor Build post

wpatter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Excuse my ignorance but did you keep Max’s long travel kit with the axle swap or did you have to go with something completely new?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Excuse my ignorance but did you keep Max’s long travel kit with the axle swap or did you have to go with something completely new?
Kept most of it. Rear axle recieved new spring perches. Springs are untouched.

Front axle fwd hanger is NOT being reused.

Built the front axle hangers with parts from Ruff Stuff and WFO Concepts.

Last edited:

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
1 step at a time. Rear shocks finally arrived. I went with Bilstein 5100's for the rear with 170/60 valving to keep the back end soft since there's not much weight back there. Front shocks will be 5165's with 255/70 valving. Still have yet to order those. Can't order them until I get the axle 100% so I can get the front end tilted out to measure what lengths I need. Can't finish the front axle until the front brake components arrive. One of the many downsides to living in Alaska, having to take the slow mail route to save money on shipping. So MAYBE next week the components will arrive.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
More rust pockets. This is the front axle, passenger side rear leaf spring hanger.
Front axle rear spring hanger rust pocket-Passenger Side.jpg

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Front axle is finally bolted in. Moved the axle forward quite a bit. 6" over stock. Wheelbase is now 101". Once I get the new drop box built, I should have an estimated 2" of tire forward of the chassis.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Pitman arm was kind of a pain in the ass. I used a Rough Country ‎6610, which is a drop arm for 6-7" Jeep XJ lifts. Grinding out the 4 blind splines took way too long, and gave me a bunch of metal splinters. But, it's installed. Need to cut the DOM tomorrow on the bansaw at work, then I will have the steering completed.

To do list:
Front:
Longer driveshaft
New brake calipers and pads
Install the brake lines
Build the front drop box. Was going to be a 1" plate steel spacer. Now it's going to be a 2x4x3/16 rectangular steel. Awaiting the shackle hanger from RuffStuff to arrive.

Rear:
Somehow come up with an E brake cable
Make the rear brake lines

Interior: Finish seat brackets
Finish cage addition
Finish battery relocation
Wire in locker switches

Estimated pull it out of the garage, if I don't have to go out of town for work, August 20th.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Front is sitting on its own now. I ran out of shielding gas. Once I get a fresh bottle, I will get the gussets and couple of other welds done. Still have to weld on the shock towers. Shocks will be here Thursday. Steering is 100% done. Drop pitman arm was a bit too long. But it's perfect. The drag link (not installed in this picture) is perfectly horizontal. I didn't plan that, it just happened. So I will have zero bump steer.

Still have a bunch of wiring to do, finish the cage tie in, build the seat mounts for the front. I don't think I am going to meet my arbitrary deadline of being done this weekend.

Front done.jpg

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
well ya wont have zero bump steer but you will have less then if it was diagonal.

How is the drag link clearance at full compression? Wrap your winch around the axle and suck it down. then steer left and right to check clearance.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Been a minute since I have posted an update. It runs and drives now. I ran out of time before winter set in to get it completed. List of to do's:

Install the PRP's in the front. Need a cross bar for the harnesses.
I installed a rear rumble seat from Best Top for my kids. Need a cross bar for the 4 point harnesses.
Wire in the rear winch.
Install brake lines for the rear axle. Build a parking brake contraption for the Cadillac El Dorado calipers in the rear.
Tie up the locker wiring harnesses.
Some other interior odds and ends for the accessories I have in the cab.

Right now the Roxor is sitting outside in the snow. Once the snow thaws out I will get it done. It's too tall for the garage now. Much taller than I had anticipated.

Last edited:

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Tires look a little small as well. In a few years after I trash these, I will get the same tire but in a 40" rather than a 37". I will end up building some flat fenders for it that stick out a few inches wider to try and catch some mud.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Major Update! Today I made the final payment on my Roxor.

I haven't yet finished the Roxor. Still have a small handful of things to finish up, but it'll have to wait. I just had shoulder surgery, so in late May hopefully I will be recovered to finish.