Mahindra Lawsuit Update

WillysJeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
B

Bister

Mahindra Prevails in FCA Trade Dress Ruling

AUBURN HILLS, MICHIGAN (DECEMBER 23, 2020) – International Trade Commission (ITC) has issued its final ruling and determined that the redesigned 2021 ROXOR does not infringe on the “Jeep Trade Dress” claimed by FCA. This follows on the heels of earlier ITC and Federal District Court rulings that Mahindra did not infringe on any of FCA’s registered trademarks. The ruling comes after a long-running trade dress dispute between FCA and Mahindra.

The ruling validates Mahindra’s redesign of the highly popular ROXOR off-road vehicle which remains true to its spirit for hard work and adventure. Mahindra is now permitted to manufacture and distribute the redesigned 2021 ROXOR. “ROXOR was a success from the beginning with off-road enthusiasts and people with active outdoor lifestyles,” stated Rick Haas, President and CEO of Mahindra Automotive North America. “The vehicle has also proved extremely popular with people who want to work with it – they like that it can withstand the rigors of rugged everyday use. This ‘ruggedness’ was at the heart of the redesign as we wanted an aggressive look that reflected just how tough and capable ROXOR is.”

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So glad the Roxor got some classic ones on the road before this ruling. Fiat/Jeep anymore is a joke for the kind of vehicles they put out. Always wanted a CJ again and thanks to Mahindra I got mine.

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Mahindra already HAD the rights to build their Jeep in 1947 ,Fiat BOUGHT the rights after the fact in 2014 . Sad.... a Judge would rule the way the he did .The trick would be to use readily available after market cj parts and make adapters so they fit roxor .... cheap fix to get rid of the alien look ...

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This is great news. I hope Mahindra is still interested in selling the Roxor here. It is a fantastic value for many applications.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Very good news!! Looking forward to continued dealer support and product innovation.

In process of moving to Utah so my machine will become my daily driver and thrill seeker.

Awesome!!

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Very good news!! Looking forward to continued dealer support and product innovation.

In process of moving to Utah so my machine will become my daily driver and thrill seeker.

Awesome!!
Where about in Utah?

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
F47C9244-B6FE-4111-9512-954C65C3227D.jpeg
6E72EA61-D99F-4E8C-A7CC-CE6EE764CE8A.jpeg

F47C9244-B6FE-4111-9512-954C65C3227D.jpeg 6E72EA61-D99F-4E8C-A7CC-CE6EE764CE8A.jpeg

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The design looks unfinished. Kind of like you take a great design and remove everything that made it a great design (e.g. the Grand Canyon without the canyon).

Seriuously though, I am glad Mahindra is not letting this go and is willing to restart the Roxor with the modified design. For anyone who looks for a great platform, this is still the one to get.

On the upside also, if everything other than the front-end sheet metal remains the same, this will help the aftermarket companies. They have put their own money and time into tooling, designs, and marketing of their products.

Tokarev

The design looks unfinished. Kind of like you take a great design and remove everything that made it a great design (e.g. the Grand Canyon without the canyon.

Yep. There are other things I think MANA could have fairly easily done to change the look to satisfy FCA. As I've mentioned I think an M151 Mutt front end and shape would have worked to keep Jeep and most consumers happy. I think another possible solution might have been to leave the fenders more or less the same and just widen the hood to meet the outside of the fenders. The extra space inside the underside of the hood could have been made into storage compartments.

Anyway, we are still assuming that MANA is going to roll out the concept from earlier. But they have had a good six or eight months to come up with something. Fingers crossed that the pics we have all seen are artistic proof of concept and not much more....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey, how about a row of dingle balls across the bottom of the 2021 grill, it would be a nice touch ....no... wait i'm sure that Fiat would say that copied something they make ... Yes,... Fiat the famous car found along european roads ....with the hood open ..

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The design looks unfinished. Kind of like you take a great design and remove everything that made it a great design (e.g. the Grand Canyon without the canyon).

Seriuously though, I am glad Mahindra is not letting this go and is willing to restart the Roxor with the modified design. For anyone who looks for a great platform, this is still the one to get.

On the upside also, if everything other than the front-end sheet metal remains the same, this will help the aftermarket companies. They have put their own money and time into tooling, designs, and marketing of their products.
My guess is that mahindra had already begun to produce the 2021 models when they had to stop production. This design change had to be the best thing they could come up with on short notice and still be able to use the majority of the parts they had already manufactured.

I can see an aftermarket “retro” kit to fix the front end. Will probably cost 10 grand though.

The nostalgia of the CJ similarities have been enough for many to overlook other areas that fall short. Sadly if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t spend that kind of cash on this new design. I think the 2018-2020 models just got a little more valuable.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Glad the Roxor didn't get turned into one of these.

...Flip the hood upside down. Hinge it in the front. Put a set of hydraulic cylinders under it...

There is no fixin' that with any number of after market parts.
20201225_203431.jpg

20201225_203431.jpg

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Front end clip probably is a bolt on swap for the 18-20 models. Get with those Indian guys shipping product to the US and you could swap it out fairly affordable I bet. Get a retailer interested and ship a container of it and will surely get affordable.

B

Bister

My guess is that mahindra had already begun to produce the 2021 models when they had to stop production. This design change had to be the best thing they could come up with on short notice and still be able to use the majority of the parts they had already manufactured.

I can see an aftermarket “retro” kit to fix the front end. Will probably cost 10 grand though.

The nostalgia of the CJ similarities have been enough for many to overlook other areas that fall short. Sadly if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t spend that kind of cash on this new design. I think the 2018-2020 models just got a little more valuable.
They are not building anything right now. There has been no production of 2021 models yet.

Hopefully now with the actual ruling they will get things up and running soon and we see the actual new model on the lots by spring.