ooooooooooo

In Retrospect - List Of Things To Do

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I bought my Rox August 4th. I'm determined to make it a daily use vehicle, something we can do in Arizona.

The Rox is new and there's a learning curve. But it's cool. The Jeep that Jeep wouldn't build us. Diesel with a 5 speed. I couldn't be happier.

So, onto lesson learned.

Lesson #1, windshield.

A CJ windshield will bolt on. Avoid used ones. Avoid the older ones with the older hinges. Because that's exactly what I got. I'm having to buy new hinges. Oh well.

eBay had the complete windshield for the 76 to 86 windshield with glass installed. Get that one! But wait! there's more!

Going to CJ windshield now you will have to redo that ROPS system. So either go with a CJ roll bar or you are going to have to spend more to get a new cage/roll bar in now..

Oh, and windshield wipers, yeah. It adds up,

So now maybe that On The Rox $400 to $800 windshield isn't such a bad idea.

I'm already commited to this path. More explained below.

Lesson #2 Turn signals

I brewed my own. I had amber and red Rigid A series lights. A LED capable flasher ($13) and simple, until I get the real turn signal switch, on-off-on switch ($7) and my wire, it was easy. There are unused bulbs right above the brake/tail light bulbs already in the tail light assembly, with wires going to I'm not sure. For one, it's too hot in AZ to mess around in the garage to figure this out and I had to do some work out of the US so I'm out of pocket for a month as it cooled down.

My opinion, $300 for turn signal kit that claims plug-and-play is too much. My home brewed is about as labor intensive either way. And not hard to do.

Lesson #3 Tune

Do it. I don't know what stage does what. I rather keep mine simple and just eliminate the speed limiter. That's it. Whatever horse power it cranks from that point is OK. Maybe later do the other stages.

Unplugging speedo or cutting wires, ehhh, nope. There is some drama going on between DF and VR I won't participate in. Either one will do the job. But don't cut the wires, ok?

Unfortunately when I get back I have other financial commitments. But here are the planned taskings:

1. Finish windshield install (need new upper hinges and do dads)
2. Real turn signal column mounted switch. Not hard to do at all.
3. Figure out what to do about ROPS, Maybe come up with rear to middle bar bolt on/keep middle as is. It's not rocket science dammit
4. Front end lift/level
5. Winch. In retrospect the factory option wasn't bad, I went back and forth on it, Not hard to do.
6. Factory hitch mount.
7. Rear then front lockers - looking hard at the Ox
8. Repaint OD green or flat tan - I want military look and use, I've done this before and want it done completely. I'll do it myself and tub is coming off
9. Temp/oil pres./voltmeter/fuel gauges. Saw how someone already did this. Nota fan of idiot lights and that fuel indicator sucks.
10. Steel wheels. Old school steelies that is. Maybe a tire size up or maybe old school original..lish. CJ6 era that is.

On the horizon is what do I want:

50 state legal plate. It'll happen. And no shenannigans. Even if I use dirt legal and reg it in South Dakota.

I has shooting for the CJ look but rethinking maybe staying Mahindra as in original MM550 look, which is like the Thar. So that means doors, B pillar, W/S again, and canvas top. What can I say? I'm a sucker for goofy military vehicles. And I kinda like the original look.

So if a MM550/Thar parts source can't be found maybe I'll make a trail for one. Indians sort of speak English.

If anyone else is game feel free to reach out and join forces. Or comment if you are thinking likewise.

Image 9-16-18 at 6.20 PM.jpg Image 9-16-18 at 6.39 PM.jpg

Last edited:

IppoJ

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I bought my Rox August 4th. ...
even though I've been lurking around on here for a long time, I just picked mine up last night.

Drove it around the 'hood and had a stupid grin the entire time.

First things I've noticed.
1. If you are going to make it street legal, replace the headlights. The ones installed have a European cutoff pattern so you'll get flashed from other drivers. The headlights' pattern is shaped like: \_ \_ But in the left drive world they should be shaped like _/ _/
Hella makes a very, very nice 7" retrofit.

2. Mahindra is now selling steel wheels, $42 each! that's it, cheap. They aren't the really retro looking type but rather similar to the alloy, but steel. I ordered a set and will probably powder coat them white.

3. Ordering a CJ windshield and will probably just pull the cross bars off and leave the rear roll bar in place. Bestop makes a bikini top in tan that will fit.

4. Need to find or make a set of floor mats. Coco mats would be cool.

5. Don't shift into reverse with the parking brake pulled. Ouch.

hi4JGhrzRJy6fB1Dbcgj0g.jpg

B

Bister

even though I've been lurking around on here for a long time, I just picked mine up last night.

Drove it around the 'hood and had a stupid grin the entire time.

First things I've noticed.
1. If you are going to make it street legal, replace the headlights. The ones installed have a European cutoff pattern so you'll get flashed from other drivers. The headlights' pattern is shaped like: \_ \_ But in the left drive world they should be shaped like _/ _/
Hella makes a very, very nice 7" retrofit.

2. Mahindra is now selling steel wheels, $42 each! that's it, cheap. They aren't the really retro looking type but rather similar to the alloy, but steel. I ordered a set and will probably powder coat them white.

3. Ordering a CJ windshield and will probably just pull the cross bars off and leave the rear roll bar in place. Bestop makes a bikini top in tan that will fit.

4. Need to find or make a set of floor mats. Coco mats would be cool.

5. Don't shift into reverse with the parking brake pulled. Ouch.

View attachment 3938
RE: Number 1. People laugh at me when I tell them there is such a thing as 'right hand drive' and 'left hand drive' headlights. Someone finally gets me. I noticed it right away when I pulled up to my shop one night in the dark. I lowered them a bit and pointed them a bit more to the right. lol

Number 2: I'm hoping my dealer ends up with an extra set of steel wheels I can snag from him cheap. He is selling Roxor's to a potash mine and we have to change the rims and tires to get it lower to meet the height restrictions of 72". He might end up with lots of rims and tires if all goes well. lol

Number 4: If you want a mat for the back, any 3'x4' door mat fits perfect. I have a carpet one in mine, some used a rubber one from a farm store. They fit perfect.

Number 5: Yep and when you put the parking brake on, put it on good so you notice it is on when you go to drive away. What's that smell?

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Probts

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I303 would you tell me a little more about the Speedo wire issues if cut? What did it do? What is a df,and vr?
I was thinking about putting the speed sensor on a toggle switch. Just flip it off when needed,and use tach for speed estimate.