ooooooooooo

Fuel filter housing.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anyone run into this issue? I went to start the Roxor today and diesel went leaking out of the fuel filter housing. Apparently, where my finger is pointing the one screw backed out a little and the other is stripped out?

I really don't like this guy Murphy that claims to be my friend! Lol

20240122_153115.jpg 20240122_153111.jpg

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anyone run into this issue? I went to start the Roxor today and diesel went leaking out of the fuel filter housing. Apparently, where my finger is pointing the one screw backed out a little and the other is stripped out?

I really don't like this guy Murphy that claims to be my friend! Lol

View attachment 13196 View attachment 13197
Im sorry man, but I will go check mine shortly, because I’m sure it’ll happen to me too

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I had one loose and two more that I tightened a l. I was afraid to really snug them up, because of the plastic and you had one stripped out. If you would, post on here how you fix it, if you do. Thanks

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I can't wait to find this guy Murphy everyone talk about and really give him a piece of my mind. Lol

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You could ream up the hole and re-tap the hole to accommodate the next nominal fastener size which would be a good option. However, you could also use a threaded insert (Helicoil) to allow you to use the original fastener, thus maintaining your Interchangeability. Threaded inserts are available in metric sizes and with self-locking threads. You would choose the insert with the same ID and thread as your factory fastener and then ream up and tap the hole to match the threaded insert's OD. Threaded inserts are a good solution for stripped threads. Both of these options assume that you have enough material left such that the hole does not tear out. Typically you would like at least a 1.5 diameter e/D ratio. (e/D=distance from center of hole to edge of part/diameter of hole). It would take greater edge distance to accommodate a threaded insert than going to next nominal size fastener, and based on the photos, it appears your edge distance is very minimal, so your best bet would be next nominal fastener. This whole discussion assumes the fastener is a machine thread and not just a simple screw thread. If screw thread, just screw in next size with a bit of medium thread locker and call it done.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
After trying to come up with different solutions, it is apparent there is no salvaging this. The screw location is too close the edge of the canister. Thanks to all who had input with ideas (one of the many reasons I love this forum!!!) Good news is I found it on EBAY relatively inexpensive about $85.00, not dirt cheap, but not crazy either. Anyone who needs parts, there is a ton on there.

I went to the local dealer, nice folks, I figured worst case scenario order one. The new ones look different (don't know if they would match up or not.)

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The new ones have a pump on top so you can prime it, and a replaceable bowl/filter assembly in one. However, I have not had the opportunity to compare the two filter housing assemblies to see if the new one (2023 HDUV) would be a direct bolt on replacement for the 2018 thru 2022. At this point I don't know enough about either one to say that one is preferred over the other, as there are always trade offs with every design, such as flow rate, pressure drop, filter life, ease of maintenance and cost of filters, etc. Maybe some one who owns both a 2023 HDUV with the 2.7L and one of the earlier 2018 thru 2022 2.5L models might be able to look at the fittings and see how easy or painful it would be to replace one with the other, both forward and backward compatibility.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I looked at a new one, not sure either, I would assume the hoses would be the same. The only other thing would be the electrical connection. The mounting bracket would be simple to fabricate it if need be.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I believe that electrical fuel filter thing a ma jig doesn’t throw a code but will put the Roxor in a bit of a derate if it’s bad. So you would need that to be compatible between the two. Be nice if someone made an adapter so the Roxor is happy with it not plugged in. Maybe some sort of resistor wired in to plug into the harness would do the trick. Then take a universal filter base and put the correct fittings for the hoses to plug into. Maybe some adapter hoses to make it fit proper I’d like a larger fuel/water filter that spins on, something like the semis and tractors use. you know something easily obtainable most anywhere with a variety of filters that will spin on and work. And because the filters larger it lasts much longer.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I believe that electrical fuel filter thing a ma jig doesn’t throw a code but will put the Roxor in a bit of a derate if it’s bad. So you would need that to be compatible between the two. Be nice if someone made an adapter so the Roxor is happy with it not plugged in. Maybe some sort of resistor wired in to plug into the harness would do the trick. Then take a universal filter base and put the correct fittings for the hoses to plug into. Maybe some adapter hoses to make it fit proper I’d like a larger fuel/water filter that spins on, something like the semis and tractors use. you know something easily obtainable most anywhere with a variety of filters that will spin on and work. And because the filters larger it lasts much longer.
Agree100%

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well a battery later and a fuel filter and she is back in her glory! It is so nice to be able to work on a vehicle without needing a degree in engineering just to pop the hood. It was quicker and easier(5 minutes total to change to fuel filter housing and battery) then to try and clear an air filter code on my 21 GMC. Lol

Now just gotta read through these threads and fix the gauge cluster.🤔