ooooooooooo

Fate of Roxor in Maine

Maineah

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Governor’s Task Force on All-Terrain Vehicle Trail Initiatives: Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/ATV Task Force Meeting Summary 11-21- 2019.pdf
Task force recommends restricting size of ATVs on Maine trails

I wanted to throw this out there and get opinions or suggestions from any members on this forum. The State of Maine created a Governor's ATV task force last year to study a variety of topics. One of those topics was a recommended size/weight limit of ATVs for use on Maine's trails. The TF submitted their recommendations at the beginning of January 2020 and suggested the Governor limit the size of ATV's not to exceed 65" wide or 2,000LBS. The Roxor is 62" wide however shows a curb weight of 3,035LBS. IF this is passed into law the Roxor for trail ridding in Maine will be no more.

I guess they discussed grandfathering those ATV's currently registered and are in access of the width and weight restrictions however their meeting minutes from their final meeting in November showed this:

• Objective #1 discussion on grandfathering ATVs over 65 inches wide and/or a weight over 2000 lbs; there was mixed feelings on grandfathering currently registered ATVs wider than the proposed Task Force recommendation to limit registration to 65 "maximum width and 2000 lbs. maximum weight.

• Task Force agreed to further consider (3) options:

1) Grandfather Maine residents with previously registered ATVs over 65" they will not be allowed on the state trail system but could ride off the trail system with landowner permission. "Why the heck would I registered my Roxor as an ATV if I can't use it on the Maine trail system and only on private property? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm the landowner or have landowner permission and I use it on private property why would I bother registering it?"

2) Grandfather Maine residents with previously registered ATVs over 65" for as long as they own it they will not be allowed on the state trail system but could ride off the trail system with landowner permission. "Again, Why would I register it when I don't need to?"

3) Not allow ATVs over 65 inches wide and/or a weight over 2000 lbs. to be registered and only allow use on the ATV owners property or frozen public waters. "And once again, I won't be registering it and anyone from out of State with a Roxor looking to spend money in Maine won't be allowed on the trail. Looks like lost revenue to me"

Sounds to me like they didn't further consider anything that would benefit a Roxor owner. They buried any consideration right there.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Wisconsin also has a 2,000 lb trail limit but they are in the process of removing that. They also require Atv registration and I agree none of that makes sense to me. It’s all about big brother wanting to produce revenue and prying into our freedom.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wisconsin also has a 2,000 lb trail limit but they are in the process of removing that. They also require Atv registration and I agree none of that makes sense to me. It’s all about big brother wanting to produce revenue and prying into our freedom.

Mostly wrong. It’s about funding. Wisconsin funds trail maintenance from Madison mostly, so allowing heavy af ATVs on trails, and more importantly the bridges, requires even more $.

Now if they allowed a tiered trail pass, one for ATVs and one for various weight classes of UTVs, that’d make sense.

Your perfectly free to use this on your land. WI also has ways to use Roxors on road. You’re not free to beat the *hit out of the trails and have others pick up the tab.