ooooooooooo

CJ conversion to Roxor engine and running gear.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Things gets sketchy in the 80" and 81" Jeeps due to transmission length.

The transmission in the Roxor is akin to a AX15 in length, and those are generally deemed too long for Jeeps CJ5 or shorter. It has been done however.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
A super neat idea would be to mate the Roxor engine to a T90. It's not a high prio for me right now, but def a setup I wanna explore down the road.

Roxor/T90 would fit perfectly into a 3B/5. You might have to get cute with charge pipes for a low hood 2A/3B.

mopar93

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If someone wants to put a Roxor engine and transmission into an early CJ5, the easiest way to get what you need would be to find someone who wants to take a Roxor and put a V8 engine in it. The two of you buy a complete brand new Roxor. One guy gets the engine, trans, and transfer case, and the other guy gets everything else.

tecknomage

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was in the same spot, except my '57 is rough, so the Roxor is actually a cheaper route to get me where I wanted to be (body cleanup, diesel, yj springs, swing pedals, overdrive, saginaw, etc). Sadly, I had already cut up my '57 a little, but it was not a great restore candidate anyway.

A killer mod for the Roxor will be a gear-reducer/underdrive that bolts to the PTO cover on the "Spicer18" like the WARN overdrive does. Even if 1.5:1, it will be awesome. That said, with the diesel, 4LO is already rather hilarious.

& the 2020's will COME stock with 5.38's Flash the ECU, & I bet it'd be sooooo perfect

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m perfectly fine with my 3.73s. For my mixed use that is perfect. There is always LO if I need to crawl.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Keep in mind the 5.38s were chosen due to need, given the T90 gear spread and the ~50 or ~60 HP of that era. Those engines did not reliably spin much higher than our diesel.

Last edited:

tecknomage

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Mih has the specs for the 2020, "FJ40" type grill,(still think it looks more like 60's vintage japanese toy robot eyes') & 5:38's are standard now.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That Mahindra front axle sucks, way too short and the spring perches won’t fit anything

Except every SWB Jeep made from 1941 to 1981. Mahindra has a goldmine in that front axle.

YJ springs are a highly sought after swap on any thick spring Willys and early AMC era Jeep, and the Roxor front axle comes ready to rock, perfect width, and hub matched.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It even comes prepped for a sway bar, soemthing you might want if you go YJ sprung. The old spring packs, specially the HD packs, were so rigid, they didn't require any kinda of sway bar control.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Except every SWB Jeep made from 1941 to 1981. Mahindra has a goldmine in that front axle.

YJ springs are a highly sought after swap on any thick spring Willys and early AMC era Jeep, and the Roxor front axle comes ready to rock, perfect width, and hub matched.
You seem to be missing the fact that the springs are different widths, and won’t bolt on the Roxor. If yj springs would fit in the Roxor a candy ass lift wouldn’t cost $1600, and there have been a ton of yj/cj7 swaps into cj5’s, nobody ever swaps a cj 5 axle into anything because they are so narrow. So a I’ll reiterate again, the factory axles are too narrow, they are offset in the rear, they have weak ass 19 spline axles, and they suck for building on. You can buy a set of built axles as cheap as you can outfit a set of Roxor axles. Mahindra did well in their design process, there’s just not much to work with as far as axle upgrades go without spending a ton of money.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This thread is about putting Roxor parts on a CJ, and that's exactly what I'm talking about here. Putting YJ springs on any Narrow track CJ is a very large improvement, and already done VERY frequently. The allure in the Roxor axles is that they ARE narrow and simplify that process significantly. They are the same width as the narrow track Jeeps up through ~1981 (including the CJ7s). So when you use Roxor axles on a narrow track Jeep, it simplifies the swap to YJ springs (specially on the 76-80). I don't overly care about putting these axles in anything else, but YES, they are a gold mine for Jeeps older than 1981 and people are already catching on to this.

Offset rear is a good thing for many reasons - specially for wheeling.

The AMC20 is a bit of a turd, so our axle could be seen as an upgrade.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This thread is about putting Roxor parts on a CJ, and that's exactly what I'm talking about here. Putting YJ springs on any Narrow track CJ is a very large improvement, and already done VERY frequently. The allure in the Roxor axles is that they ARE narrow and simplify that process significantly. They are the same width as the narrow track Jeeps up through ~1981 (including the CJ7s). So when you use Roxor axles on a narrow track Jeep, it simplifies the swap to YJ springs (specially on the 76-80). I don't overly care about putting these axles in anything else, but YES, they are a gold mine for Jeeps older than 1981 and people are already catching on to this.

Offset rear is a good thing for many reasons - specially for wheeling.

The AMC20 is a bit of a turd, so our axle could be seen as an upgrade.
I see what you are saying now, and that makes sense. Are they not narrow enough that they cause spacing issues when you put bigger tires on them even in a cj?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The front axle is almost the same size as the NT D30, which is slightly wider than the Dana25/27. All the 71- front fenders are high clearance stock, so there is a good amount of room.