ooooooooooo

Changing rear end gear to 3.73

Gypsyjon

I have a 2020 Roxor with the 5 something rear end gear and on OxLocker.
How hard would it be to switch the rear end gear out the the 3.73 that the earlier models used?

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It is not real hard if you have done it before or understand the back lash and spacing issues of reinstalling the new higher gears. There are a few youtube vids on installing gears. I don't trust my luck with it so I am going to hire it out to have lockers and 4.88's installed.

DesertRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If you have the ox locker installed it should be slightly easier to change your gears. The problem is pulling those rear axles. Watching it online looks ridiculous!!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
problem with ox lockers was I thought they didn’t offer them factory with 5.13s cause of the carrier break. If you can verify that the factory 3.73 will fit and work on your ox carriers I’ll give you my gears, just pay the shipping.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The factory carrier is a different size from aftermarket gear sets.
problem with ox lockers was I thought they didn’t offer them factory with 5.13s cause of the carrier break. If you can verify that the factory 3.73 will fit and work on your ox carriers I’ll give you my gears, just pay the shipping.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would like to see Novak or Advance Adapters or some one else make a lower transfer case gear set. That way we wouldn't have to mess with the axel gears to get some better crawler. I contacted both of the above and they said, currently they do not offer anything for the Roxor transfer case. The case is just different enough from a Dana 18 their parts will not fit.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The problem is the way are main drive gear is part of the input shaft. In a Dana 18 case the main drive gear fits on the splines of the transmission output shaft. For a lower gear set, Tera low 3.15 ratio, we would need a different input shaft. When installing a lower gear set, the gear on the input shaft is a different size, less teeth if i remember right. We need someone to make a shaft with the appropriate gear. Other than that the internals appear to be the same as a Dana 18. This shaft is the same reason we cannot install the Saturn over drive. I don't have the resources to take this one on. However Advanced Adaptors, who still makes the Saturn overdrive does, might be able to help us out. If we could install the overdrive at 25% reduction we could install 4.88, 5.13 etc, gears for a better crawl ratio but still be good on the road.

In a dana 44 axle the break point is 3.73 and down, 3.92 and up. the difference is about 1/4" on the carrier, closer to pinion gear for 3.92 and up. What Mahindra did was to add about 1/8" to the carrier. So for example when i installed my front RCV axles i bought the 3.73, 30 spline carrier and added the ring gear spacer to get back to what Mahindra did and it works fine with the stock gears. This is what the OX locker does as well.