Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Pros and cons on different heater kit.

OEM $400
OTR $550

Is there others?
Yep:https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=cab+he...efix=cab+he,automotive,287&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6

I'm not sure which one I'm going with yet...I need to grab a tape measure and get under the dash and get an idea the dimensions and mounting options I can figure out. I'm thinking if I get one like This and adapting one of the outlets to a vacuum hose, or some kind of flex hose to use as a defroster when you need it and you can take it off and store it under the seat when it's warmer. Or maybe tuck it up under the dash somewhere whe I'm not using it, I haven't looked to see if it's possible. I'm picturing either just zip-tying it to the grab handle and aim it at the windshield, or using tape or velcro...I don't know, I'll have to think about it...maybe I can think of a better looking setup. It probably won't be pretty, but I don't think the one Roxor sells looks all that great either.

Randy Burns

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
We have installed both. The OTR kit- defrost vents have to be cut into the top of the dash which is double layered steel, the defrost duct trim is way to small and leaves absolutely no room for error when cutting. Otherwise it's an ok kit but after installing several we have switched to all the factory heaters and defrost kits. The factory kits are better but the negative is the defrost duct over the dash. We continue to watch for someone to introduce something better and it will come.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It’s simple , just pull up JEGS site and order the 36,000 btu ducted unit. It’s 2 speed , hides perfectly under the dash , all you see are the multi directional ducts in the flat dash. (2) . The defroster outlet I ducted towards my feet waiting a future need. ( I only use my Rox till Dec 1 when we pack up and head south. I leave the plow mounted and ready should I need it before we leave.)

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
OEM all the way with the defrost kit. Roxor is prewired for it also and simple DYI install. Just mt 2 cents. No cutting your dash either for the defrost.

FYI: It is now a 2 speed heater, the one in the video is a single speed.

https://manaroxitdocuments.s3.us-ea...on+Instructions/Cabin+Heater+Kit+(4+Hole).pdf

As far as cutting holes in the dash , seems to me that is what it’s for ! Think about it , Jeep heratige is a flat dash for mounting anything you want. ....I figure if in the future if I do not like what I have done with my selection of hole saws , I just get a 1/8 “ sheet of aluminum or stainless and start over......simple as that.

B

Bister

As far as cutting holes in the dash , seems to me that is what it’s for ! Think about it , Jeep heratige is a flat dash for mounting anything you want. ....I figure if in the future if I do not like what I have done with my selection of hole saws , I just get a 1/8 “ sheet of aluminum or stainless and start over......simple as that.
Yep, that’s the nice thing about the dash, lots of room to mount the stuff you like.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yep, that’s the nice thing about the dash, lots of room to mount the stuff you like.

A little story about the flat dash.......Last year,thinking I would make the Rox look more Jeep like , I bought one of the Jeep retro padded dash bars. ( I also thought it could have been helpful for hiding the defroster kit.): I played with it a few days , then returned it. No matter how I tried,just did not look right! My first mistake was buying the OTR windshield.and wiper set up. I should have went with the CJ 7 folding windshield install from the start , then the padded assembly and defroster would have looked right. ( Cheaper too ).

B

Bister

Also, the holes you have to cut for the defrost are not in the flat panel but the painted piece it mounts to. I’m in Canada and usually have a dog it 2 with me. The vents from the heater you have to cut into the Roxor wouldn’t even come close to keep my windshield clear. I even cut and extra holes in the OEM plastic kit to open it up more. Made it even better. I have a video on that also.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If I was starting over I would have moved the OTR Winshild forward about 2 inches. Would fill in the gap with 2” sq tube ( aluminum) . There would be room for defroster kit ( from Jegs) . Rollbar would stay as is. ....on
The other hand a 12 volt dash fan ( NAPA or other ) May do just as well or better. Guess it depends where you are, SK. Ya , plenty cold, humid too .? .....JD has the best set up in the new Gator. , AC and heat inagreated with the glass cab. I had a German made JD loader built the same way sort of with the condenser combo behind driver seat, duct work all over the place.

B

Bister

If I was starting over I would have moved the OTR Winshild forward about 2 inches. Would fill in the gap with 2” sq tube ( aluminum) . There would be room for defroster kit ( from Jegs) . Rollbar would stay as is. ....on
The other hand a 12 volt dash fan ( NAPA or other ) May do just as well or better. Guess it depends where you are, SK. Ya , plenty cold, humid too .? .....JD has the best set up in the new Gator. , AC and heat inagreated with the glass cab. I had a German made JD loader built the same way sort of with the condenser combo behind driver seat, duct work all over the place.
Nice thing about people that come after us is they find out from us what works, what doesn’t and, in your case, what you would have done differently. ?

I tried the fan thing before I got my defrost kit, it sucked. Plus took up too much room vs an actual defrost set up and was never pointing the right way. The OEM covers the full windshield nicely.

I really like the simplicity of the OEM kit myself and the prewiring was awesome, just plug and play. The defrost running up the front doesn’t bother me. I’m function over fashion on this one. The OEM supplies a good amount of defrost and still keeps my feet warm at the same time.

There is an install video of a heater from Dirt Legal, I think it is the On The Rox heater. I’ll find it later and post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bister

This is a heater from Dirt Legal. I think it is the OTR on, but I’m not 100% sure on that. This is why I used the OEM one. I’m sure the heater itself is fine, but the install isn’t as quick as the OEM for the wiring or defrost function.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I am using the OTR set-up. Works well for me. I have a radio receiver(XM) and a glove box already in the dash--so no room for the OEM heater/defroster. I like having the dash not covered up with an OEM defroster. Install of the OTR heater is a little time consuming but not that difficult.

B

Bister

Pros and cons on different heater kit.

OEM $400
OTR $550

Is there others?
I just noticed you are in Canada also, shipping on the OTR might get expensive, not sure. OEM ships free to your dealer.

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Here is the one I installed. Pretty easy to install, puts out good heat.

A0B71B7B-2A9C-4E48-B954-32AA71BE9EBA.png

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The Jegs heater gives a lot more value than any other from whit I see. First it has 2 full size motors , 2 speed fan operation. Second it remains under the dash and is hardly visible ., no floor space needed. Third by using the directional duct vents you can have better heat distribution. Fourth , more for less 200.00 gets 32000 btu, half the price of the other units.

5DF55EF7-472D-434F-A9B1-D96EAA079C51.jpeg D3230D5F-E5DA-4897-98FE-5514A206C35D.jpeg

B

Bister

The Jegs heater gives a lot more value than any other from whit I see. First it has 2 full size motors , 2 speed fan operation. Second it remains under the dash and is hardly visible ., no floor space needed. Third by using the directional duct vents you can have better heat distribution. Fourth , more for less 200.00 gets 32000 btu, half the price of the other units.

View attachment 4518View attachment 4519

That only has one motor. The motor is in the middle and the 2 on the outside are the squirrel cage fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
sorry , bad choice of words. In a lesser way the Jegs heater has 3 speeds ( that’s stop,low , and high ) also 300 CFM and 40,000 btu which is overkill for that little diesel. The cfm works well with the ducted 3 outlets, and the duel cage fans.

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Trying a slightly different way of mounting the jegs 300CFM marine heater. I cannot wait to get rid of my single speed loud ass fan. I’ll have to come in with heater hoses in a new spot
894651F6-FA6C-4321-BA77-B5AC0708FAE1.jpeg
2BB3769B-94B3-4D1F-8307-B9CB47188CD4.jpeg
AF7482FD-9EDB-4326-B9BC-6AABFC494F52.jpeg

AF7482FD-9EDB-4326-B9BC-6AABFC494F52.jpeg 2BB3769B-94B3-4D1F-8307-B9CB47188CD4.jpeg 894651F6-FA6C-4321-BA77-B5AC0708FAE1.jpeg