ooooooooooo

A few Questions for On the Rox Folding Windshield

Tokarev

I should just order up the non-folding OTR piece. It would probably arrive in a couple days and take literally minutes to install. Probably the longest part of the deal is waiting for the UPS man and the glass shop.

With that said, my heart is kind of set on a folding windshield. More money and the prospect of water penetration and more road noise or a whistle. All this so I can lay the windshield down and drive around like that once or twice a year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tokarev

What about the Rock Road windshield? He has a 10g steel frame with gasket and mounting bits for $325 + shipping. And he has a folding frame in the works.

Willys

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
None as of yet ... I’ll ping them tomorrow on what they propose to do for a fix. I’ll inform you early next week ...
OTR has flat out refused to address the design flaw in a timely manner.

In fact their feedback as relayed by Dirt Legal is that if a customer who has already bought it wants to return the item, they will have to pay the very expensive return shipping, and they will charge the customer for every dent, ding, screw mark or scratch on the returned windshield and also not reimburse for any installed glass.

Customer feedback is the lifeblood of any successful product or business. Baffles me that they (OTR) would take such a decision.

I’ll let the members on this forum make their own judgment if they wish to buy this folding windshield from OTR. If I could do it again, I wouldn’t invest this much money for something that is not a fit for purpose as it leaks water big time ...

Tokarev

I'm sorry to hear OTR doesn't seem concerned with your issues. That's disappointing especially given the cost of these. It is the most expensive option on the market.

With that said I don't know if I'm too surprised by their response.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have the folding windshield. It is very secure and shows no signs of flexing or rattles. Mine does have the small gaps previously mentioned but it fits well and otherwise seems effective in blocking the wind. I haven't had it in a hard rain so I can't tell you if water comes through the piano hinge but I wanted the folding feature like my 1974 VW Thing and Jeeps. My DOT tinted glass piece was expensive at $235 but the paint shop handled it all with one drop-off and one pick-up so it saved me from running the frame around to glass shops. Overall, I'm very pleased with the windshield. It had drawn several complements and looks like it "came from the factory" that way.

View attachment 5014View attachment 5015
You didn't install the windshield hold-down clamps? Do you intend to use it without them?

Willys

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You didn't install the windshield hold-down clamps? Do you intend to use it without them?
Yes - but the design flaw (& significant water penetration & whistle) stopped me from installing them as I waited - and waited - and waited - for a fix from OTR which they have flat out refused to address in a timely manner ... what a ripoff! ... what a waste of my money!!! ... on to Plan B ...

Tokarev

Yes - but the design flaw (& significant water penetration & whistle)

Can't you glue or caulk some strips of weather stripping into the gaps? Glue them to one side so they fold away when you lay the windshield down?

Willys

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Can't you glue or caulk some strips of weather stripping into the gaps? Glue them to one side so they fold away when you lay the windshield down?

Yes - that is one of the options I may consider to fix the design flaw ...

Tokarev

I imagine OTR's official position is to buy the non-folding piece if wind and water are a main concern.

Tokarev

Ordered the OTR folder during the Black Friday sale. I've been running my rig around as much as possible and now need a windshield due to cold weather. I toyed quite a bit with the idea of ordering a Rock Road unit but the OTR folder seems to be more developed that the RR piece. Using FJ40 hold-down stuff looks good and should work fine.

The other thing I wanted to see more of is the adapter piece from Cecco Racing that allows a YJ windshield to mount up to the Roxor ROPS without cutting, chopping, etc. But that piece is apparently not available as a stand-alone unit.

Anyway, I'll probably mount the OTR as a solid windshield for a few months. Make sure it works for me and that I'll be happy with it before drilling holes in the hood, etc.

Tokarev

The folding windshield from OTR has one flaw that I am working through Dirt Legal (from whom I bought it) to help influence OTR to solve. Wait for an update from me in a week ... until then hold off on your purchase if you can ...
Is there enough clearance below the hinge to put the factory Mahindra cowl back on? Would that help seal up any gaps or air leaks?

Edit--Nope. It is close but the cowl covers too much of the hinge. The windshield won't fold all the way down with it in place.

I suppose it might still prove useful though. Maybe put the cowl back on for winter driving when the windshield will remain up until spring.

Last edited:

Tokarev

OTR windshield on and glass in. Weatherstripping stuck on. Installing is quick and easy.

Only thing I'd suggest to OTR is making a YouTube video of the install and have it linked on their product installation page.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am happy now with the OTR winshild, fixed. If I was starting out new I would have gone with Jeep CJ 7 unit. ...it is what it is, with reinforcements provided by OTR there is no longer flexing. ....it’s been over a year of install and improvement.