ooooooooooo

A few Questions for On the Rox Folding Windshield

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hello I want to install a windshield but only want to consider those that fold down. The only one I can find that seems to fit the bill is from On The Rox Folding Windshield Frame – On The Rox Does anyone have this model and what you think about it? A few things - was it hard to install? how good is the windshield secured when folded down? Also, its just the frame....did your local windshield shop cut your glass? I am pretty sure they don't do that kind of work right since all they do is install premade windshields.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
No one has the On the Rox fold down windshield?

B

Bister

All glass shops can cut and install the glass. If your place just does windshields, you'll have to find a full glass shop. They will be able to handle it.

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am contemplating the On the Rox folding windshield, a local glass shop quoted me $100 to cut and install DOT windshield glass (your prices may vary)!
Warren

Wazzu

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
We have installed many on the rox folding windshields. fairly easy, great windshield. We have a local glass shop install the DOT rated glass. Costs us $125. On the Rox is great to work with.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I received information indicating a CJ7 folding windshield fits the Roxor so am looking at that option also....this is a alot less expensive - less than $300 and it seems to look better.

B

Bister

I received information indicating a CJ7 folding windshield fits the Roxor so am looking at that option also....this is a alot less expensive - less than $300 and it seems to look better.
I think you have to remove the front roll bar and if you are tall, you will find the windshield quite low.

Tokarev

Looking for info on the OTR folder as well. From pics these seem to look good and "fit" the overall vehicle.

Is the assembly worth the $$$?

Willys

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The folding windshield from OTR has one flaw that I am working through Dirt Legal (from whom I bought it) to help influence OTR to solve. Wait for an update from me in a week ... until then hold off on your purchase if you can ...

Tokarev

Can you share what you've found? What is the problem?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Willys

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, there is a at least 1” by 1 1/2” gap between folding windshield hinge and the OEM structural frame. This causes significant water penetration and an irritating whistle. The hinges are also not the kind that are water “proof” (sealed), so if you drizzle water over it, it seeps through to the cabin and if by chance you drive in the rain, you will have water penetration as it happens with me.

I am very hopeful that this design flaw will be fixed by OTR as it is an expensive product and one expects it to work properly but of course value is in the “eye of the beholder”...

Stay tuned!

Tokarev

The hinge looks like what I believe is called a piano hinge. I imagine it'd be hard to waterproof without a different hinge.

Disappointed to hear about the fit and the whistle as this is the frame I'm most interested in.

Plan B is maybe the windshield Nash sells. It is about $600 with the glass installed. No folding or anything though.

Last edited:

Wazzu

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have a OTR windshield and it does not whistle. I have weather stripping all the way around the windshield. Have not had it out in a rainstorm, so I cant testify on the water intrusion. I believe the weather stripping will help. BTW the fj40 "latches" are very nice. Folding the windshield down requires no tools. Make sure they are snug. I was on some rough roads this weekend and had to snug them up a little to keep things tight.

Willys

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, there is a at least 1” by 1 1/2” gap between folding windshield hinge and the OEM structural frame. This causes significant water penetration and an irritating whistle. The hinges are also not the kind that are water “proof” (sealed), so if you drizzle water over it, it seeps through to the cabin and if by chance you drive in the rain, you will have water penetration as it happens with me.

I am very hopeful that this design flaw will be fixed by OTR as it is an expensive product and one expects it to work properly but of course value is in the “eye of the beholder”...

Stay tuned!

Folding Windshield Gaps.PNG

Tokarev

I have a OTR windshield and it does not whistle. I have weather stripping all the way around the windshield.

I wonder how much variation there is from rig to rig. Could the gaps at the sides be related to year model or possibly the nature of the manufacturing process? I've read/heard elsewhere that there is some variation from rig to rig as far as overall fit and finish.

Tokarev

The folding windshield from OTR has one flaw that I am working through Dirt Legal (from whom I bought it) to help influence OTR to solve. Wait for an update from me in a week ... until then hold off on your purchase if you can ...

Any updates from Dirt Legal and/or On The Rox?

Thanks!

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have the OTR fixed windshield , it was very flexible at speed, kinda scary. Since last year they have added extra bolts, it helped a lot. This year I added their aluminum top , that really buttoned up the assembly, which included extra weatherstrip also. If I had to do over from the start I would have gone with the CJ 7 unit ,if for no other reason ,defroster duct channel built in.

Tokarev

I assume a few extra clamps around the OTR windshield would help with flexing? It looks like it only comes with two clamps per side? This is the case with folding and non-folding.

I guess neither is designed for highway use...

How's the Fortress version at speed? Not looking to run at highway speeds all the time but I do plan to use my Roxor as a daily driver rather than an occasional offroad/weekend rig.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The OTR winshild is now fine at 70 mph. The two extra bolts thru the base along with the new weatherstrip did the trick. The alum roof made everything all the more rigid as well. There is no flex at 70.