ooooooooooo

285/75/r16

Mauvais

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey guys, anyone tried running a 285/75/r16 on the factory wheel yet? Stock rims are 16x7 which is about half inch out of spec for this size of tire. I used to run this setup on my Tacoma for several years without any issue.

I put the 2.5 leveling kit on this last weekend from dirt legal and am now looking at tires.

If someone has ran this setup did you see rubbing without any spacers?

If you went with different wheels did you go with any offset? (Assuming spacers being used)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey guys, anyone tried running a 285/75/r16 on the factory wheel yet? Stock rims are 16x7 which is about half inch out of spec for this size of tire. I used to run this setup on my Tacoma for several years without any issue.

I put the 2.5 leveling kit on this last weekend from dirt legal and am now looking at tires.

If someone has ran this setup did you see rubbing without any spacer?

If you did see rubbing what size of spacer?

If you went with different wheels did you go with any offset? (Assuming spacers being used)

Thanks!
Still have my stock BFG's. However, I do run 315/75R16's on a 1997 F-350 SRW. Those wheels are 7" wide I do believe. I've put 35,000 miles on them so far. I have slung the wheel weights off, so I would suggest using balancing bags. The tires I run are Cooper ST Maxx 10 ply. At any rate, when I change out tires, it will be for soome 285's, don't plan on changing wheels...

Gheath8sudd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

If someone has ran this setup did you see rubbing without any spacers?

Thanks!
I just put 285/75R/16 on my factory aluminum wheels. They look great. My tires are 11.3 wide. I’m definitely going to have to do a lift for sure in the rear and or spacers. There’s a body mount bracket that sticks out and this size tire you only have a little room if you were to hit some really bad bumps or put in a bind it would definitely hit tire.

Attachments

• 6BE6D7FF-5F0C-48A9-B924-17CE62997510.jpeg
    6BE6D7FF-5F0C-48A9-B924-17CE62997510.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 394
  • 894EDDFB-8C9B-418D-B3F3-FF83C2657435.jpeg
    894EDDFB-8C9B-418D-B3F3-FF83C2657435.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 403

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just put 285/75R/16 on my factory aluminum wheels. They look great. My tires are 11.3 wide. I’m definitely going to have to do a lift for sure in the rear and or spacers. There’s a body mount bracket that sticks out and this size tire you only have a little room if you were to hit some really bad bumps or put in a bind it would definitely hit tire.
Can you show me the picture showing why you need a lift and or spacer please. It looks like you have plenty of space. I'm wanting to go with the same exact tire, but I REALLY don't want to add a lift or spacers

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have 285-65-17 on one of my Roxors and 255-85- 16 on another. The first does have a lift (On the Rox shacle reversal), the latter the-add-leaf. Both have 1.5" spacers.
My use case: road only - paved or gravel. No need for big axle articulation.

When I wanted to figure out tire sizes, I went to the local shop and asked if they were Ok if I would order and try different sizes. As long as I would buy one set of tires, they were Ok with my plan. I ordered 235 85 16 and 255 85 16. I decided for 255-85-16 with spacers.
The 285-65-17 came on a Roxor I bought later.

Lift:
The lift helps with clearance in the wheel wells. Anything above a 235 85 16 (in my opinion) make the wheel well look "stuffed" ... but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just to drive around town I don't think you need a lift - even with 33 tires - for clearance.

Spacers:
I did not have spacers on the Roxor with 285-65-17 until recently. The wide tires 100% rub on the springs when I made a full turn. The turning radius was really poor (my full size, crew cab pickup has a tighter turning radius). The turning radius stock is bad and just a bit worse with the 285 tires.
After adding 1.5" spacers and reducing the turning radius by turning the adjustment bolts (search the form), the Roxor is easier to maneuver (about like my full size pickup).

Search some of my posts to learn about On the Rox shackle reversal vs add a leaf (first posted by Haerterich), different shocks etc.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
One more thing on adjusting the bolts that limit the turn radius: adjust gradually and make full turns left and right to check the clearance around the tire and other moving components.

A very early poster on this form learned that the knuckles could crush the shocks if the adjustment bolts are turned in to far..

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
These are the spacers (1.5") I installed on both my Roxors: GDSMOTU 4pc Wheel Spacers for 5 Lug Ram 500 F150, 1.5" Wheel Spacers 5x5.5 with 1/2" Studs for 1994-2001 Dodge Ram 1500,1991-1996 Ford F150,Jeep CJ5 CJ6 CJ7...
You can find others that fit as long as they have the same specs.

The bore on the spacers fits right over the Warn hubs. The bolt pattern fits the Roxor hubs. The Roxor lug nuts fit the spacers. Nice and easy.
The spacers will give you the room to turn your wheels.

If you just use your Roxor to cruise on roads and don't need the articulation of the axle (vertical) to offroad, then you should not need a lift or add-a-leaf. Again, depends on what you want to do with your Roxor