ooooooooooo

2 meter/70 cm Ham Radio

Gypsyjon

I found a mobile antenna that does not require a ground plane, so I am going to install it on the roll bar of a 2020 Roxor.
The only water proof VHF/UHF radio I can find is the
TYT TH-8600
I called HRO to see if ICOM, Yeasu or Kenwood had a water proof dual band radio, but they said no. I would prefer to have a high power radio but the TYT puts out 25 watts on 2 meters and 20 watts on 70 cm. The area that I will be riding in has a really tall 70cm repeater that I should have no trouble hitting with 20 watts and a good Diamond antenna mounted on the roll cage.
My plan is to have this radio as a safety measure since there is no cell service up in the piney woods.

Any thoughts from other Hams would be appreciated!

KM4UJP

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am looking at the same radio, however, I have been reading mixed reviews of this particular radio. Nothing against TYT in general, but this thing seems to have a reputation for lots of spurious emissions and kind of crappy front end. Also, keep in mind there are two versions of this radio, 1. IP 67 compliant (dust and waterproof) for around $170, and 2. a non IP67 rated version for around $80-100. I am still up in the air as to what way I am going to go with my roxor. I have even contemplated a variant of a military style mount (my 2019 is olive drab), thinking maybe a larger ammo can mounted in back on its side, with radios inside (go box style) and a remote mike up front. I'm kind of a yaesu fan, so thinking about an older FT 857D and a nice rugged dual band. What dual band antenna are you thinking about? I am looking at maybe a windshield frame mount if I can find one or fab one up.

Warren
N3PJG

Last edited:

Gypsyjon

I am glad you pointed out the two versions!! Come to find out I had ordered the wrong one, thanks. I called R&L and they were happy to fix me up with the waterproof version. Price is $125 free shipping.
The antenna I am going to use is a Diamond NR770HAB, which does not require a ground plane so I can mount it on the roll cage to gain some antenna height.

That antenna has a PL-259 connector on the base, so I bought some SO-239 to SO-239 bulkhead adapters to use to mount the antenna on. It also will fold down when you ask it nicely, which is handy, since I will be parking the Roxor under my house which is up on pilings. Now if I can just remember to fold it down prior to pulling in!!

Rugged Radio has a couple of antenna mounts that I can use to mount the antenna to the ROPs.

I am not too concerned about spurious emissions with this radio since I will be out in the middle of over 600,000 acres which is close to 1000 square miles! ;-)

I was surprised that none of the big names make a water proof 2M/70cm radio.

Let us know what you decide to do in regard to your VHF/UHF radio solution.

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
that's a pretty good price for the IP 67 version, I may have to consider that! Yeah, the big three do make several IP67 compliant radios on the commercial side of the house, only found one dual band that was a Kenwood meant for EMS/Fire that had two separate units that both plugged into a common remote control head, and not inexpensive! This looks to be the only amateur mobile transceiver that is IP 67, tons of handhelds though.
Warren

txfarmboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sounds like you fellows have the right idea. I just usually carry a cheap handheld with me as I have one repeater that is in range that I can hit consistently from our farm when I'm out. There are several repeaters in a 50 mile radius but part of our farm is in a creek bottom so it gets a little hard to reach them, and there's usually not much activity on them anyway. Interesting to see some ham's on here. I've had my Roxor since 2018 and have really enjoyed it. Hope you fellows enjoy yours as much as I have.

Jeff
WD5HKV

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sounds like you fellows have the right idea. I just usually carry a cheap handheld with me as I have one repeater that is in range that I can hit consistently from our farm when I'm out. There are several repeaters in a 50 mile radius but part of our farm is in a creek bottom so it gets a little hard to reach them, and there's usually not much activity on them anyway. Interesting to see some ham's on here. I've had my Roxor since 2018 and have really enjoyed it. Hope you fellows enjoy yours as much as I have.

Jeff
WD5HKV
I’m hunting for an antenna mount that would bolt on to the low part of the ROPS, where that fastex buckle is

image.jpg image.jpg

txfarmboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’m hunting for an antenna mount that would bolt on to the low part of the ROPS, where that fastex buckle is

View attachment 6807 View attachment 6808
You might could fabricate a mount with some aluminium angle and put a NMO antenna mount thru that. Not sure how the roll bar would affect the antenna though as it would be right beside it. Not as likely to get knocked off there as opposed to up high on the top roll bar, if your trails are in wooded areas. I live in wooded east texas, an antenna on top of the ROPS wouldn't last long around here. Seems like that area where the buckle bolts are, would be a good location as far as protection is concerned.