ooooooooooo

2.7L Oil Type

King358

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The manual lists only 5W-40. I run Valvoline Blue 15W-40 already in my Cummins, tractor and wood splitter. Does anyone think it would be an issue using the 15W-40 for these engines? Not to save costs, just for the convenience of only using one type of diesel oil across the board.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
No dispute that 5W-40 would be better if you ever ran in a very cold climate over a 15W-40. It would definitely have an advantage of being able to pump, flow and lubricate faster and better than 15W40 in cold climates. New manufactures are changing recommendations to 5W-40 on new diesel engines with turbos that have run for decades and millions of miles on 15W-40 simply because it is better over a wider temperature range and is becoming more readily available. That said, the most critical component would be the turbo charger, which has been running on 15W-40, since 15W-40 became commonly available. As always it is good advice to let the engine and oil warm a bit before stomping on the throttle and pushing the turbo charger, as it is good advice to let the engine idle a bit after high load use to cool off a bit before shutting down the engine.

It is no dispute that a synthetic will last longer at higher temperatures than a conventional motor oil, as it resists coking better. I am not certain but I suspect that 5W-40 is only available as a synthetic while 15W-40 is available both as a synthetic and conventional.

If you want the best protection that money can buy, or maybe you have a high power tune and/or you only run with the pedal to the metal, and/or you mostly drive in cold or very cold climates, and you want to extend oil change intervals farther, the synthetic 5W-40 will be your choice over a conventional 15W-40. However, if like me, where I only drive my Roxor in temperatures above freezing and in temperatures most often above 100 deg F, do not have a high power tune, and never drive it pedal to the metal, I can get along just fine with conventional 15W-40, changing the oil at the recommended intervals.

RPD-Nick

Vendor
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's a Great Price! Keep in mind that Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 only holds the CJ-4 API rating which is what the 2018-2022 Roxors calls for but the 2023-2024 2.7L calls for the CK-4 API rating which is higher than the CJ-4.
Roxor Fluid Specs
The Mahindra 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil calls out the CK-4 and the CJ-4 which covers all the Roxors from 2018-2024

CRP

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Below are the specs for Rotella T-6 5W-40 from their web site. Looks like it covers both CJ-4 and CK-4 applications.

OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS 5W-40 API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's a Great Price! Keep in mind that Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 only holds the CJ-4 API rating which is what the 2018-2022 Roxors calls for but the 2023-2024 2.7L calls for the CK-4 API rating which is higher than the CJ-4.
Roxor Fluid Specs
The Mahindra 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil calls out the CK-4 and the CJ-4 which covers all the Roxors from 2018-2024

I read that and kind of got worried, so I went and checked a couple of gallon jugs of the shell rotella and just as CRO says, it’s right on the container that it’s CK-4 as well as CJ-4

RPD-Nick

Vendor
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thank you for looking! They must be behind on updating their website and spec sheets. In my opinion the brand isn’t critical as long it meets the correct API rating so at that price while they’re running the current discount it’s a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk