ooooooooooo

Winch selection advise needed

lost1wing

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have a few Warns and two Badlands. The first Badlands 12k I have mounted on my trailer. It is stored outside and somes under a shelter. It works perfectly. I did have to mess with it a bit. The planetary gears were not deburred and had little grease on them. After taking it apart to debur and grease the operation was very smooth. 3 years later it stopped working. I found all of the cables had turned to a greenish powder. I replaced the cables and again it is working perfectly.

The last winch I got it the new Badlands Apex 12k. I didn't have to do anything to it for it to work smoothly. No complaints with it at all.

I have 2 Warn 12k Evos and 1 M8. They work very well for my use. Now I did watch a YouTube review of a Warn, smitty and a Badlands. The Badlands got the win for price and ability. Warn seemed to draw a lot of current compared to the others.

My opinion is either are fine as long as you use it appropriately. If you're on a budget, get the Badlands Apex. I'm not sure if the regular Badland has improved the quality control of the gearbox or cables.

Hummingbird Ranch

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Best winch I ever owned or saw anyone else own was a 12K Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch. After owning this winch, I would never own anything else. This winch runs off your power steering pump and is plumbed in line between your power steering pump and power steering gearbox. You simply open a valve on the winch that diverts the hydraulic flow to the winch's bullet proof Dan Foss Hydraulic motor. This winch has a 100 percent duty cycle which means it can run as long as you can keep your engine running, unlike most electric winches which have a 10 percent duty factor. It was not fancy, no remote controls or electronics, just pure bullet proof hydraulics. I had it on a highly customized 1988 Jeep Grand Wag I made into an offroad beast and took it all over the country in numerous Jeep Jamborees many years ago. On one Jamboree 4 electric winches were burned up in one morning run. I ended up moving to the front of the line and after climbing to the top of the hill winched everyone else up the hill that could not climb it. After everyone saw it in action, they were ready to junk their electric winches.