ooooooooooo

Wheel Width

Desertwndrr

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Anybody have an idea of how wide and what offset the stock wheels are? Looking at what tire options are available and if needed, what offset would be required for aftermarket wheels. Thanks.

visbeenk

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I was wondering the same thing since the width and offset are not listed anywhere on the roxor offroad website or in the owners manual. I'm surprised they didn't put this under the specs.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
This is only a guess, but considering its a solid axle machine and not independent suspension, the wheel backspacing is probably around 3.75" or 4" and the offset is probably slightly negative or 0. That's the going rate for MOST solid axle rigs.

Desertwndrr

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I was more concerned with the wheel width. I'm hoping that its 8", but realistically its probably going to be 7". 7" is a bit narrow for a 275 wide tire. Just exploring options. The stock size tires are a bit too small.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
your probably right on that, I'd bet its a 7" wheel. Speaking as someone who does wheel fullsize rigs and having broke many axle shafts. I'd bet you wouldn't want to go any bigger then a 33" max on the roxor. Being its fairly under powered and someone having a softer foot you might be able to make 35's survive but I highly doubt it. Throw in lockers and a spirited driver and running 33's might be suicidal. I believe the tire on the roxor now is 29" tall so to be totally safe and keeping the stock 3.73's in mind, I'd go with a skinny 32" maybe a 235/85R16. Cheap size and lots of options. With all this being said I'm assuming the axles are just as strong as the early cj Dana 27 axles. The one down side with 235/85's is that most of them are heavier LT tires so it adds weight but the plus side to that is it will stop alot of tire punctures. Or maybe even a better idea would be to goto a 15" wheel where tires are even cheaper and with less wheel, comes more sidewall which is even better.

Desertwndrr

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I’m thinking of switching out for 31-10.50 or 32-11.50 tires. Not looking to get too rowdy. Just need a little more clearance for trails. I’d like to switch to limited slips and 4.88 gears. Lockers are just so harsh on the slick rocks and I hate having to kick in and out of locked. The gears would be a bit tall, however there is enough headroom in the transmission and with the reduced speed of these things I may as well use the fifth gear and tighten up the ratios a bit. Once I take delivery I’ll calculate where the engine rpms are at and if I can gear higher I will.

Just thinking aloud. I may wire in a switch to the VSS. It may cut out my speedometer and odometer but it would allow speeds over 45. Easy enough work around. It’d save me from having to eat the cost of an aftermarket tuner and keep me from having to crawl under the rig each time I wanted to exceed a 45mph limit.

My goal is for a good little trail rig as there are so many areas here that still need to be explored. I’ve have had many Jeeps over the years. The new ones are getting as big as a Tahoe and are *hit for trails. Besides, old school style will always be attractive.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
With 4.88's, 32" tires and in 5th gear (0.789) at 50mph, you'd be turning right at 2000rpm. It'd be super torquey with 4.88's. If the roxor gets even 10% of the aftermarket support that the normal jeep gets, you'll see these things in crazy forms before long.