ooooooooooo

Warn/Saturn Overdrive

1930modelA

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Has anyone tested whether the 25% Warn/Saturn Overdrive fits the Roxor transfer case - in the transfer case where a PTO could otherwise be installed?

Many Willys and CJs had this option, as thus used units should be available, as well as rebuild kits. New ones are also available - Shifter Kits | Advance Adapters. If they fit the Warn/Saturn OD units Roxor transfer case, you could go to 4.88 gears or lower to improve off road power while having a 25% overdrive (4.88 becomes 3.66 ratio) for highway use. You may even want to go lower than 4.88 if available.

Mark

1930modelA

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I was on the Mahindra Roxor site and see under specs that the transfer case a Dana T-18. Not it like a T-18, it is a T-18. That is the same as used by the Willy’s and Jeep CJ5s. The overdrive should fit. Also note that the overdrive can be shifted on the fly, allowing you to split shift resulting in 10 gears (5x2). Plus you still have low range. No SxS can do that. Still it is theory until someone tests.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have a PTO laying around but the shifter will conflict without really committing to the PTO and cutting the tub. Sure looks like it'll fit.

That being said, I'd rather see a small planetary gear reduction unit between the trans and tcase than an overdrive and deeper gears. I'd like to keep the gears in the axles strong. The chassis has the wheelbase to handle it.

As is, you never use 4th gear, let alone fifth lol

1930modelA

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
You are right, the tub would need to be cut for the OD shifter. While I am ok with a transfer case OD and lower gears, it would be expensive to replace the current axle gears with new lower gears and also buy or rebuild and install the OD. If all new parts, likely $2,000 total cost with labor. More cost effective if this was a Mahindra option on a new Roxor. I also agree that going to 4.88 or lower gears would make the axles weaker, so a planetary between the transmission and the transfer case would be optimum. I just don't know of any such OD currently available. Maybe Mahindra will step up.

Another alternative would be to replace the 5-speed with a wide ratio 6-speed that has a grannie gear for 1st. Again, Mahindra step up.

Without removing the 45 mpg governor I agree that 4th and 5th gear are of little value except in low range.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We'd definitely make use of an underdrive unit. Very hot sale I bet for anyone taking these through stuff where creeping is advantageous. Something like a doubler of sorts or a Rubi Crawler box by AA. I can see AA stepping up and cashing in.

Rather than a 6-speed, I'd like to see a 4 speed truck trans. With how close this trans is to an AX5, I bet some of the swap kits for the nice old truck 4-speeds will bolt in with little mods.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Can you imagine these diesel motors creeping along with 91:1 crawl ratio on demand and a 96" WB? I sure can lol. It'd be gloriously unstoppable.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have a PTO laying around but the shifter will conflict without really committing to the PTO and cutting the tub. Sure looks like it'll fit.

That being said, I'd rather see a small planetary gear reduction unit between the trans and tcase than an overdrive and deeper gears. I'd like to keep the gears in the axles strong. The chassis has the wheelbase to handle it.

As is, you never use 4th gear, let alone fifth lol
On the flat , you do not need first or second ether.....except I tried my alternate driveway at 45 degree incline in first gear with low range transfer case.....up the hill it went, I never touched the gas pedal.