ooooooooooo

Transfer case shifter?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
the shift knob on the transfer case for 1, is too far away, and 2, it doesn't have threads, it just presses on.

Has anyone found an aftermarket shifter to locate the shifter closer? Looking at Dana/Spicer 18 shifters online, they don't appear to be the same.

Utah_roxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I couldn't locate a suitable aftermarket shift lever either, so ended up crawling underneath and disconnecting it entirely. Once it was out I slowly bent the whole lever in my vise, making it relatively straight. Then I connected everything back together and found it much easier to reach. The knob was now ~2" closer to my hand and didn't interfere with anything in the cab.
My (short) wife still had issues comfortably reaching the shifter, so I had to get creative and make a new shift knob. I removed the OEM knob and played around with a couple simple designs to extend the shifter. A 2x2 block of wood showed me what length worked best and how deep to drill out the hole for the shifter to slide onto. Once my wood template was satisfactory, I cut the handle off an old fiberglass sledgehammer and fashioned that into an extended knob. The tapered nature of the original shift lever keeps my custom knob on, but I'll eventually use epoxy/adhesive to permanently mount it on. In the attached photos you should be able to notice the improved angle of the shifter, as well as the extended length. Hope this helps anyone else searching the forum for a solution.
20230510_103651.jpg
20230510_103701.jpg