ooooooooooo

Smacked and repaired my Roxor Fender

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I wacked a gate on the farm with the fender of my Roxor....was surprised at the damage given the relatively low impact speed and the sturdiness of the steel fender. Here are a few pics of the repair. Am pleased with it - it is not visible. The first pic is after I removed the wheel and got underneath and carefully hammered the dents out with a few different body hammers and then sanded it to bare metal where the paint had cracked. Most of the masked area was impacted though and the dent disrupted the body line along the bottom edge. This hammered out fairly easy as long as gentle repetitive taps were used rather than hard blows. Pic 2 is after priming. Pic 3 is after a few coats of paint and a little coarse sanding. Pic 4 is after wet sanding and blending. Matching the paint was not easy but successful in the end. The Roxor codes did not work.

Roxor 1.jpg Roxor 2.jpg Roxor 3.jpg Roxor 4.jpg

Roxor 1.jpg Roxor 2.jpg Roxor 3.jpg Roxor 4.jpg

B

Bister

Looks good, now come fix mine. I bumped a tree while playing with my cameras making a trail video. It pushed it in a bit and easily pulled out, but the cracked paint is the worst part now. I touched it up with some blue that is real close just so I don't have bare metal, but its not a nice as your repair.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thank you. Saskatchewan is a bit far but if you were close by I would be glad to help. In case you ever want to re-attempt it there are a few keys to making the repair, the foremost of which is patience...when I found myself about to settle for something less than perfect I walked away. This stupid little body shop tool kit I bought at Harbor Freight (maybe similar to Princess Auto up there?) was a key. It was inexpensive and has several hammers and body shaping blocks/punches that work in just about any kind of situation. With this type of tool set (maybe $20) I have found it possible to take care of this kind of thing, like a similar but worse dent in a boat trailer fender, with some patience and gentleness. Even after I thought it was good to go though and removed all the paint in the area, when it was carefully examined it was clear that it was not nearly perfect. So back to the tapping here and there over and over again until I could use sand paper to smooth out any irregularities on the outward facing side. After it was primed though, like magic the primer revealed some more uneveness and so back to step 1. Really after this though it is straightforward if you get the right color. Roxor has a list of paint codes but unfortunately the one they provide for the Sand color is not accurate. It is way too dark. But I imagine it may be accurate for the blue. Take the code to a paint store and have them run a sample for you or better yet, take a piece that is colored and take it along with the code. Here is another key: Ask the paint shop is they can put the paint in spray bomb for you or not. Some will and some wont. After you paint the area the edges whereever you masked it will need to be blended in with a few successively finer grades of wet sand paper. This is where the magic happens. All of a sudden boom it looks great.

B

Bister

Oh, I'm not worried it. It'll probably get bent again. I found a blue that is close enough for me. I think of it more as a battle scar and the tree won. lol Mine was right on the front corner and it pushed out by the light, so the integrity is kind of buggered up vs. just a dent on the side. I just don't want it rusting. A new black fender is just over $200 next time I do it, then I could get it painted.