ooooooooooo

Roxor re gearing questions

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Fixing to re gear and run 37” tires, what gear ratio will work the best as far as off-road and highway use, and still utilize the right rpm range on the little 2.5 diesel? I do t want to be too low, but I don’t want to be high either. Was thinking 4:88 but I’m open to suggestions.

JoeMc

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You can find axle ratios with different tires sizes charts on line. The only problem is that l don't think the stock axles on the Roxor can handle 37" tires. You have to up grade axle shafts and axle tubes. I would do a lot of research before I did that. I have a jeep with Dana 44 axles and I think 37" tires are to large for them axles with out some types of upgrades.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve ran 37” tires on a 44 with no issue, I found the gear I g charts but what I’m not sure of is where the sweet spot will be as far as rpm’s go at about 60 mph in 5th gear on that little diesel.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I plan to run 5.13s and 33s. You need to max out your gear for 37s. 5.38s or lower of available.

Here’s the gears for the trans and t case
What brand of transmission will it have? - Team ROXOR Forum - Unofficial Mahindra ROXOR Off-road Community!

7ceaa351d5ab1125e5198589c628f961.jpg

Use those numbers and plug it into this gear calculator. http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Put it on both sides and leave one stock with 29” tires and make the other 37”. Then change the gear ratios in the axle to see where you’ll be. Keep in mind with the added weight and rolling resistance of the larger tires you’ll want the overall gear ratio to be a little lower than stock at any given speed otherwise you’ll feel a little sluggish.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Keep in mind the gear mesh gets weaker the higher you go..

Luke

Will 4.27 ring and pinion gears fit in a stock roxor carrier?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
With the spacer, any Dana44 gear combo should work.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve changed directions on this about 5 times now, and I’m way way smarter than I was when I started. So Roxor axles are essentially Dana 44’s however the tubes are thin, and they use 19 spline 2 piece axles. In order to use 44 gears you need to go to a 30 spline axle, you can plan on shucking out $1200 cash for the rear full float conversion, then you need a carrier, and a locker so there’s another $450 minimum, plus new gears, add another $350 for that so in order to convert, gear, and lock you are looking at $2000 for the rear axle. The front is already full float so a set of conversion axles to 30 spline are $1000 (roughly) $450 for gears and a new carrier, then another $350 for a locker, that’s another $1800. At this point you have $3800 in a set of Dana 44 axles, before you pay someone $400 per axle to set the shins and backlash, you are now in them $4600. I finally decided to cut a set of 35 spline Dana 60 Chevy axles down, leave them 4 inches wider on each side, and just go that route, when I figures out all I had to do was gear and lock them it was way cheaper.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You don't need to convert the rear to 30 spline. You may chose to do this, but you do not have to.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You don't need to convert the rear to 30 spline. You may chose to do this, but you do not have to.
Correct, you don’t have to, but they are extremely sub par for Dana 44’s, might as well carry a spare set of axles around with you if you run 35” tires. I know a couple guys on the forum and the Facebook page have broken the weak 2 piece 19 spline axles already... it’s honestly a waste of time in my option of you are going to wheel it or use it and put bigger tires on, and not upgrade axles.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I plan on running 33s. They will be fine for my use.

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I changed from 3:73 to 5:38 ( from 2020 roxor) and would like to go bigger with the tires now. What's the best size option? I don't beat on mine or do anything extreme. How big should I go?

plumbstraight

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
End the end of stronger axles, bigger tires and all of that the last thing to take all that on is the universal in the hub.

I watch some of the videos with folks making submarines and mud boggers out of a perfectly nice Roxor, makes me sick to see the abuse of a nice machine. To each his own I guess.

What I notice is them dropping the clutch instead of feathering it taking off. Puts a terrible shock load to the axles especially with those large tractor tires with super grips, no give. Great way to break anything from the flywheel to the lugnuts.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Will 4.27 ring and pinion gears fit in a stock roxor carrier?
The stock carrier is a Mahindra special. You have to replace the carrier to run after market gears. Also it is a 19 spline. Most after market axles are 30+ spline which are better. If you plan on heavy 4 wheeling, larger tires, or more power you are going to want to upgrade the ring and pinion and axles. It is pricy but needed.

Nathan/Roxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
what company makes 3.73 gear sets that will replace my stock 5.38's??
I plan on keeping my stock axels and carrier.

Thanks Nathan

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Best bet would be to find someone who has swapped out their carrier and axels to 30 spline. The stock gears on a 18 /19' were 3.73 19spline.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yeah someone might swap you whole axle units. Unless you have the tools and know-how, that might be easier.

BackwoodsBoggers

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
what company makes 3.73 gear sets that will replace my stock 5.38's??
I plan on keeping my stock axels and carrier.

Thanks Nathan
i have a 2018 with stock axles/gears, would like to go with a lower ratio! would you be willing to swap out for set of 3.73

Nathan/Roxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
i have a 2018 with stock axles/gears, would like to go with a lower ratio! would you be willing to swap out for set of 3.73
Hay, thanks for the offer, I just picked up a set with carrier and axels from another member here

I will offer the 5.38's for sale..