ooooooooooo

Roxor front axle info (for CJ5 swap)

T.M.

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
I'm new to this forum, and I'm currently here with the express purpose of learning about the Mahindra Roxor front axles and their options, variations, and usability in early CJ5s.

I have a '66 Jeep CJ5A with a Dana 27 front axle, and I've learned that a Roxor D44 front axle should be a bolt-in swap for my Jeep, which is why I'm here to learn. ‘59 Cj W/ Roxor Front Axle & Steering Linkage Upgrade

I'll look into these questions on my own, but:
What gear ratios can I order a Roxor D44 with?
Will 15" wheels fit over the Roxor disk brakes?
What standard Dana 44 parts interchange with Roxor D44 parts?
How is parts availability for these axles?
If there are any, what are the weak points of these axles?
What other factors and options should I be aware of when considering ordering a Roxor axle?

I'm building my Jeep in the hopes of doing the Rubicon trail, so strength and parts availability are of utmost importance to me.

Thank you.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
15s fit fine over the brakes. I run them on mine. All Dana 44 carriers will bolt right in so any gear for a Dana 44 on a Dana 44 carrier will work. The carriers for the 3.73s need a spacer if you’re gonna regear and use that carrier. Unsure on the 5.38 models. Most just put a locker when they regear. shaft upgrades are available from on the Rox fabrication. Mahindra ROXOR Parts & Accessories - On The Rox
also you can get all sorts of drivetrain parts from torqueking 4x4. 4x4 Truck Parts | Shop 4x4 Parts & Tools for Offroad & Pickup Trucks - Torque King 4x4. Jesse has imported lots of parts. He might be able to help you import the complete axle assembly. i haven’t had any issue with my axles geared to 4.88 with ox lockers and chrome Molly’s and full floater kit in the rear. I’m on 33s right now with mine.

T.M.

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
15s fit fine over the brakes. I run them on mine. All Dana 44 carriers will bolt right in so any gear for a Dana 44 on a Dana 44 carrier will work. The carriers for the 3.73s need a spacer if you’re gonna regear and use that carrier. Unsure on the 5.38 models. Most just put a locker when they regear. shaft upgrades are available from on the Rox fabrication. Mahindra ROXOR Parts & Accessories - On The Rox
also you can get all sorts of drivetrain parts from torqueking 4x4. 4x4 Truck Parts | Shop 4x4 Parts & Tools for Offroad & Pickup Trucks - Torque King 4x4. Jesse has imported lots of parts. He might be able to help you import the complete axle assembly. i haven’t had any issue with my axles geared to 4.88 with ox lockers and chrome Molly’s and full floater kit in the rear. I’m on 33s right now with mine.
Thank you.

I'll probably throw a locker or another Powr Lok (if compatible) in it with a regear.

Would there be any cost benefit to buying parts and building the axle myself (not paying for a gearset and open carrier that I don't need) and going directly to a locker, 4.88s, lockout hubs, and possibly better axle shafts? Since this is a long-term upgrade, I'm not opposed to "doing it right the first time" and buying expensive, good quality parts to stuff in the axle from the get go. My idea is to swap this axle in and leave it as is for the life of the Jeep, and I don't want to be pulling it apart for upgrades or repairs often.

Does Mahindra sell axle assemblies and parts, or do I need to contact other carriers?

I assume Jesse is affiliated with Torque Kind 4x4?

Last edited:
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I prefer to exchange cores, but probably have enough used stuff to put together a housing and leave out shafts and gear stuff, or I can put whatever you want in there.

OTR is down the road from me and can supply RCVs, which is the best shaft for these currently. I've got just about every factory part for these axles except bearings and seals, which I only sell the good stuff. If you want a good ring and pinion I have Spicer gear sets, but the imported Yukon varieties seem to hold up ok and are cheaper.

The worst thing in the entire vehicle is factory bearings and seals. Gears and shafts hold up pretty good when they don't have a poo bearing throwing them out of whack. Components doctored up with my stuff last significantly longer.

T.M.

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
I prefer to exchange cores, but probably have enough used stuff to put together a housing and leave out shafts and gear stuff, or I can put whatever you want in there.

OTR is down the road from me and can supply RCVs, which is the best shaft for these currently. I've got just about every factory part for these axles except bearings and seals, which I only sell the good stuff. If you want a good ring and pinion I have Spicer gear sets, but the imported Yukon varieties seem to hold up ok and are cheaper.

The worst thing in the entire vehicle is factory bearings and seals. Gears and shafts hold up pretty good when they don't have a poo bearing throwing them out of whack. Components doctored up with my stuff last significantly longer.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd probably be looking at buying these parts next summer at the earliest, but I'll definitely keep you in mind and do some research of my own, pitting these axles vs the popular and also bolt-in D30 swap from a later CJ.

If you could, can you give me a ballpark cost on the price of a complete axle and a "fully built" one. "Fully built" being more or less what you would build; with good parts where necessary bar the carrier and gears (I'll figure those out on my own). I'd probably build it myself and order parts only.

Again, I just want a ballpark, so don't go out too of your way here. I'm just trying to get a starting point here and figure out if a Roxor 44 is comparably priced to a later CJ's D30. I'll do the part-by-part research and pricing on my own time.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the reply.

I'd probably be looking at buying these parts next summer at the earliest, but I'll definitely keep you in mind and do some research of my own, pitting these axles vs the popular and also bolt-in D30 swap from a later CJ.

If you could, can you give me a ballpark cost on the price of a complete axle and a "fully built" one. "Fully built" being more or less what you would build; with good parts where necessary bar the carrier and gears (I'll figure those out on my own). I'd probably build it myself and order parts only.

Again, I just want a ballpark, so don't go out too of your way here. I'm just trying to get a starting point here and figure out if a Roxor 44 is comparably priced to a later CJ's D30. I'll do the part-by-part research and pricing on my own time.
complete factory one with new wear items I'd say maybe a couple thousand, a bult one with better parts less gears and carrier would be about the same.

there is some wiggle room either way. what I would do is RCVs, Spicer gearset, and name brand (eaton, detroit, arb) if it was mine. good joints in factory axle shafts and USA standard gearsets work OK though.

T.M.

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
complete factory one with new wear items I'd say maybe a couple thousand, a bult one with better parts less gears and carrier would be about the same.

there is some wiggle room either way. what I would do is RCVs, Spicer gearset, and name brand (eaton, detroit, arb) if it was mine. good joints in factory axle shafts and USA standard gearsets work OK though.
Thank you. That seems competitively priced with a D30 swap from what I've heard. You'll likely hear from me if I go with a Roxor axle in my build.