ooooooooooo

Rear crossmember/bumper holes (frame tie in)

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have the OTR rear bumper and get enough flex that I’m going to make a frame tie in for it. In the interest of saving time does anyone have the hole sizes and spacing for all holes in the rear crossmember? Something I can easily just start drilling in a piece of 3.5” flat bar. If not no biggie I’ll just have to take the bumper off and make a template. Trying not to take it off/on so much during the fab process. Hoping to get this piece cut drilled and painted before removing bumper and working on the frame tie in portion.

From what I can see OTR doesn’t tie into the factory crossmember tie in inside of the frame. I plan to take a piece of 3.5” flat bar and bolt in every possible hole in the crossmember. Some will be inside of the bumper and will hold it on while the bumper is mounted. Then I’m going to take what looks like is going to be about a 3.25” flat bar and bolt that on the inside of the crossmember that is just outside of the frame rails. Then weld another flat bar to it to make an angle piece that will either weld to the frame or drill the frame and bolt it on. Not sure which yet. Will Also add a gusset support from the frame to the crossmember piecework further add strength. The exhaust bracket will have to be modified as it is in the way. Hopefully this explanation makes since, I can visualize it but describing it is a little harder.

B

Bister

Too bad you spent the money on the hitch and you have to modify it not to flex. I assume this is a receiver type hitch?

I would send an email to OTR and at least let them know that the hitch is flexing and before modifying it. I think they are reputable company, they might make things right.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The bumper has a receiver built in to it. I bought it when it was essentially the only receiver option available other than the ones that bolt on the middle section only. Advertising said off road only which I took to mean it wasn’t properly rated for towing purposes, think liability purposes. The flex isn’t huge but it is clearly visible and putting a receiver rack on the back adds leverage and then factor in the weight of the load which for me is often 200 pounds. It gets worse if I’m standing on the rack dragging the deer on it. It’s plenty strong just needs to be mounted up to the Roxor better.

I’ve brought the flex up to OTR and requested them make a frame tie bracket and was told they would tell their boss but they were busy designing something (I forgot what part). I haven’t heard anything back from them so I figure if I’m going to get one on I’ll have to do it myself.

B

Bister

The bumper I have seen looks strong, as you mention, just needs better mounting I guess. Sometimes the only way these places find out is if we let them know there is an issue in the real world, most places do want to send out a quality product. Any issues I had with stuff, like the single speed heater from Roxor, I brought up with my rep and sent a video of how loud it was. They agreed and it is now a dual speed heater I see. I showed an issue with my plow mount also, it's been changed also. At least you let them know before posting and they had a chance to respond. I think that is best. Let the supplier try to make things right first.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I reached out to OTR again and probably should have before I posted here. They do have some prototypes built but nothing ready for sale yet. They mentioned they have had more requests for it which helps them to put it into production. At this point I’ll probably still build my own but it’s nice to see the aftermarket respond to the needs and wants of owners.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There is only one way to install any bumper front or rear, and that is to mount the irons directly to the frame ends. I made my own out of aluminum. I bought two large blocks of composite rubber that are used as dock bumpers. Thru bolted the rubber provided a cushion effect . I later bought the Roxor trailer hitch which mounts to a heavy steel plate. I discarded the pintle part, didsome grinding on the casting and remounting the bumper. I am very satisfied with the outcome. There is a pic of my install elsewhere on this Forum.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I don’t have any measurements of the bolt holes to pass along but I did complete the tie in. Used some flat bar and some old brackets off a 5th wheel hitch from a F250 that my son bought. The flex is now gone with the exception of slight flex in the middle of the bumper by the receiver mount. Now keep in mind this was measured by standing/pushing on a rack so there is a leverage element involved. Came out nice. And FYI yesterday OTR reached out to me and let me know they had a prototype tie in installed on a customers roxor and wanted to know if I had made mine yet. Told them I was doing it today. From the brief exchange it sounds similar to what I did. So for those of you wanting a bought version I suspect it will be available soon. In the meantime here’s some pics of my finished product.

e752801c409b20da71f3749a4a109d07.jpg
ce2dedbe239fc8e4097c1291484dac76.jpg

68705dc80854f61022440ed5e62cc910.jpg
747301883df5f5d095c0ea6022262729.jpg