ooooooooooo

Primer on locking hubs v. lockers

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I have no experience or knowledge on the subject. I've seen several posts recommending replacing the OEM locking hubs. Most recently, in another thread:

@CJ2Rox

"So mine I use as a daily driver as well as a off road rig. I live in Utah and have it licensed as a SxS so no freeways. My desired top speed is 55 but I can go faster. The Roxor is built far better than modern Jeeps. Built to last, many things you can do to make it better by deleting emissions and tuning. Install hubs on front to prevent excess drag on front in when in 2x4. In India I've heard of them getting many more miles on their rigs then any modern car you buy here. It's a tractor. Buy one and make it fit your personality"

I have a rough grasp of lockers are in the differential ((I think?) and switched electronically or pneumatically)) and hubs are at the ends of the front axle and manually engaged/disengaged. But I am even uncertain of that.

So, my questions are:

What is OEM on 18-20 Roxors?

Why would one want to replace them with a different locking hub?

Is it true that unless I'm going to be doing extreme 4 wheeling [mud, rock climbing, sand] that lockers aren't really needed? My expectation is to be using my '18 to drive on back roads, fire roads, trails, across fields. Nothing above 55 mph and no extreme 4 wheeling.

Hope this can help others, as well as me, as the 2022s seem to be coming and more become interested in Roxors.

Thanks

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I've been reading, and 3 most helpful articles were

4x4 and getting torque to all 4 wheels

4x4 & getting torque to all 4 wheels answers - JeepForum.com

And this on why lockers are needed

and this on lock out hubs

These gave me a better understanding of the fundamentals but doesn't answer the questions:

Are lock out hubs 'adequate' for light 4 wheeling?

Is there an inherent weakness to the oem Roxor lock out hub?

thepartyhound

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
I don't have a Roxor, so I am not sure if they come with locking hubs from the factory. Likely not if guys are installing locking hubs in them. For the sake of keeping the price down, there is a good chance they just use drive flanges from the factory in place of a hub that can be manually locked or unlocked, but again, I don't have a Roxor so I don't know. The benefit of being able to unlock the front hubs is that on the highway there is less rolling resistance as you are not turning all the gears in the front axle and front drive shaft, and also less unnessary wear and tear on these parts being turned when not in use. There is no downside to locking hubs from a strength standpoint at least at the power output and tire size likely to be seen under a Roxor. Maybe in a more extreme build, but even then you'll find plenty of opinions both ways.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So from the factory and when traveling in 2wd your and you need 4wd all you have to do is shift it into 4wd and go. But in 2wd your front axle and drive shaft are spinning due to them making contact with the road. Once you install the front Hubs not lockers it disengages so when the wheels are spinning on the road it the only thing spinning are just the wheels. All the hubs do is decrease all the extra drag on your front axle. Less wear and tear if you never use the 4wd. So once installed if you were to shift into 4wd with the hubs unlocked you will also have to turn the hubs so the wheels are engaged. Otherwise no 4wd. It's all just about less wear and tear between needing to engage the front wheels.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Deuskid: just want ro comment on your Roxor use case. Your post:
"My expectation is to be using my '18 to drive on back roads, fire roads, trails, across fields. Nothing above 55 mph and no extreme 4 wheeling."

Lockout hubs (e.g. Warn or Mile Marker) will fulfill your need.
If you plan to stay in situations where all four wheels have traction (e.g. all 4 wheel on the ground.... unlike crawling on rocks or playing in mud), lockout hubs are all you need to have 4WD when needed and low drag when needed.

- When disengaged, the lockout hubs will reduce wear and tear as previous posters mentioned.
- when engaged, you can run around in 4WD.... again all four wheels getting traction. And your use case sounds just like that.

mrdkoch

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Deuskid: just want ro comment on your Roxor use case. Your post:
"My expectation is to be using my '18 to drive on back roads, fire roads, trails, across fields. Nothing above 55 mph and no extreme 4 wheeling."

Lockout hubs (e.g. Warn or Mile Marker) will fulfill your need.
If you plan to stay in situations where all four wheels have traction (e.g. all 4 wheel on the ground.... unlike crawling on rocks or playing in mud), lockout hubs are all you need to have 4WD when needed and low drag when needed.

- When disengaged, the lockout hubs will reduce wear and tear as previous posters mentioned.
- when engaged, you can run around in 4WD.... again all four wheels getting traction. And your use case sounds just like that.