ooooooooooo

My Egt experiment

Karl Probts

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok, a little bit on how I got my numbers.
I used type k thermocouple wire,attached with a thermocouple attachment unit directly to the exhaust system.No insulation over the T/c's.
Downloaded a type k thermocouple chart from NIST. Measuring voltage with a Fluke 87 multimeter.Compensated for the cold junction by adding the ambient value to the hot junction reading.
Roxor is stone stock.
Test run above 5600' elevation.
This is the location of the pre turbo tc. It is on the cast section just above the turbo inlet flange.

IMG_20190530_142722.jpg

This is the location of the post turbo T/c. It is just below the turbo on the exhaust pipe.
IMG_20190530_142931.jpg

This is a T/c attached right below the exhaust filter.
IMG_20190530_142841.jpg

Drove the roxor three times floor boarded up a paved grade near my home that is a bit longer than a mile, and requires a down shift to 3rd to climb.Takes longer than a minute to ascend

Pre turbo max 755 and climbing slowly.

Post turbo. max 649 and rising slowly.

After exhaust filter max 570 steady,but stays hot for awhile after governor kicks back in at the top.

Observed 106 degree f drop across turbo inlet to outlet t/c locations.
Temp stays low if engine pulled down (between 1800 to 1400 rpm),so does seat of the pants power.
Temp rises much more when between 2200- 3000. When engine sounds like a electric weedeater.

I also tacked a thermocouple on the air inlet before the grid heater
IMG_20190530_142639.jpg
Saw 140f ,but only watched it once.

Next I plan to temporarily put a stainless thermocouple probe on a block off plate where the Egr gets its exhaust. Hope to get the most accurate pre turbo reading from that location. I have seen others use that setup.
Hope to see the difference between it and my external T/c's for future reference.
I will post results if any interest in data.

Last edited:

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
amazing data, thank you for taking the time and effort to do this research!

Kickinrox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
755 is an awsome number for bone stock! Leaves a little bit of room for temp increases with a tune. Ive already added a diesel freaks stage two but dont have an egt guage, so ive been running light footed and not keeping the rpms above 2200 for very long. Still debating a banks i8 guage or just go bomber with a standard sweep dial guage. Thanks for your time and effort on the research!!! I feel alot better about driving my rox without proper guages for awhile.

arupp

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hello, My roxor is currently stock. I have ordered a tune from vivid, a larger turbo valve and a cold air intake. Should I remove the EGR and put a plate over it? I am not a motor guy and this is my first off road project. Thank you for your thoughts