ooooooooooo

MAXXIS TIRES: RAZR-MT VS BUCKSHOT MUDDER II

Wesmertz

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hey all! The Maxxis Razr-MT tires have been the overwhelming recommendation. I was looking at the Maxxis lineup and the Buckshot Mudder II tires look more aggressive in pictures. Both are E rated. Both are 10 ply. Both have aggressive sidewall protection. The Buckshot has 1/32" less tread depth. Sounds like the Razr-MT is rated to last longer. Both are comparable in price, and almost sixes in ratings for all conditions (the buckshot is .1-.2 less on a 1-10 scale). Buck shot is 4lbs lighter, but .2" taller. Anyone out there with experience with either tire? My application is dry desert/mountain roads (rough, sharp), snowy/muddy mountain roads during certain times of the year (mostly winter/spring). Also its HOT in the summer (like 110-115 every summer beginning in July) so that is something to take into account.

Screenshot 2024-07-29 162920.png Screenshot 2024-07-29 171025.png

elkaholic

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am running the Buckshot IIs in 265/75R16 on my 24. Love them so far.

USMC

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I was trying to keep my costs down and be able to lower my RPMs while on the street so I went with the Pro Armor Crawler XG tire. I wanted to keep my stock rims and I put the 35 x 10 x R16 XG tires on. I paid $1700.00 for 5 tires and a new spare rim. The tires were $299.95 each with no shipping. I found them for $245.00 each but you had to wait for them and pay shipping. They are 40 lbs and come right out at 35 inches high. These tires have a 50 MPH speed rating.

With the tread spacing I thought they would be quite noisy but they only put out a high pitched hum the faster you go on pavement. I have not been off road with them yet because I am still doing work on the Roxor.

Pro Armor does offer a XR version which is more for rocks and they are lighter and a softer tread compound with less tread depth.

Pro Armor Crawler XG.jpg

4Low

Hey all! The Maxxis Razr-MT tires have been the overwhelming recommendation. I was looking at the Maxxis lineup and the Buckshot Mudder II tires look more aggressive in pictures. Both are E rated. Both are 10 ply. Both have aggressive sidewall protection. The Buckshot has 1/32" less tread depth. Sounds like the Razr-MT is rated to last longer. Both are comparable in price, and almost sixes in ratings for all conditions (the buckshot is .1-.2 less on a 1-10 scale). Buck shot is 4lbs lighter, but .2" taller. Anyone out there with experience with either tire? My application is dry desert/mountain roads (rough, sharp), snowy/muddy mountain roads during certain times of the year (mostly winter/spring). Also its HOT in the summer (like 110-115 every summer beginning in July) so that is something to take into account.

View attachment 13935 View attachment 13936
I don’t have a Roxor yet, but…..
Ive been running Maxxis mud tires for 30 plus years in Arkansas. I have extra wheels with all terrain for the summer and switch to mud for hunting season. My previous truck was a Nissan frontier non daily driver with 30x9.5x15. Previous was a jeep Cherokee with same size. I completed 2 full sets of the buckshot 2’s over the course of 10 years on the frontier, 3
sets of earlier Maxxis mudders on the jeep. The frontier with the 2’s got around 5 years and 30k miles. It’s 100 miles 1 way to camp, and then it’s off road, so a lot of the miles are on asphalt.
I like the 2’s but I’m a bigger fan of the previous buckshot mudders. I just liked the tread pattern better. But anyway, the 2’s are really good tires for off road. For starters, they balance well. Awesome in the gumbo mud. Great in loose sand and clay on dry river roads. Perform well on wet roads in driving rain. We don’t get a lot of snow here, but when we get it, I simply drop air to 20 and they do just fine.
Those are the pros; here are the cons
From half tread to end of life, they are LOUD. But…anyone with knowledge of mud tires can look at the offset lugs and side bite claws and know this will happen. The tread life is not so good, but I assume that’s what the Maxxis Razr accomodates for with a different rubber compound, 40k mileage rating and heftier price tag. I thought about the Razrs for my new truck but again purchased the 2’s. They should be here in 2 days. That’s how much I like them. I drive my truck off road, launch boats on muddy river banks and blast thru mud holes that give others pause. All because these tires have never let me down.
In 30 plus years with Maxxis mud tires, I’ve only had to plug one tire, and that’s a good run. And again, every set I’ve owned balanced well. That is almost unheard of with mud tires.
Can’t wait to mount the new ones!