ooooooooooo

Louisiana street legal conversion?

Scatman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Has anyone successfully licensed and recieved a plate in Louisiana?

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have had my Roxor for 2 years. I’ve researched the topic and don’t think it is possible. Hope someone knows differently. The motorcycle cycle thing just isn’t going to hold up with an accident. Mini truck could work if you could get a certificate of origin without the off road only phrase on it. Both the state and Mahindra are actively working against you.

Last edited:

Scatman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Togo thanks . Do you have a title with yours? I bought mine used and it has no title.

Scatman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I decided to report mine as a farm vehicle as per the Louisiana RS . Good enough for now

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well some folks have pulled the body off the frame and installed a tub for a CJ. They've titled the rig as a custom vehicle. Probably a nightmare to insure under those circumstances. Beyond that know others have thrown a license plate on for a CJ, but you're asking for an impound if a patrol officer notices it's not a normal looking jeep.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
No need to title as a custom vehicle if you have a CJ vin AND also swapped tubs. The tub carry’s the vin. Now not having a vin and title to use complicates things If your throwing on an aftermarket tub. But even with an aftermarket tub, as long as you. Have the original vin plate and title you should be good.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The Louisiana owners are the best ones to provide information.

Every state is different (examples below) and has a completely different rule book. And it will depend on the DMV's willingmess to even look into what is possible.
Then there is the "we've always done it like this, we've never done it like this, and who are you to ask me to change it" factor.

- In Idaho, I had a number of calls all the way up to the one person who decides what goes and what does not. After contradicting statements from the state's DMV headquarter, I was litterally told "a Roxor is a Roxor".
- I spoke to someone in Utah who mounted a CJ windshild with a CJ Vin plate. After a DMV inspection, the Roxor is now a CJ. I spoke to another Utah owner who just took the Roxor to a DMV after installing blinkers, mirrors, and a windshield. That Roxor has now a new state issued Vin.
- In Arizona, a DMV will need a certificate of origin that states the vehicle is whatever it resembles and of a certain year (e.g. a 1963 CJ). A level III DMV inspection is needed. The state can then issue a new Vin.
- Some folks on this forum from Michigan had their Roxors inspected at a DMV and the state issued a new Vin.

Good luck and keep us posted if you ever get big plates.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have researched this quite a bit and from what I can find, the Mini Truck classification is the only option in Louisiana. Though I have not completed the process yet, the lady at the Colfax DMV told me that I have to bring the title to the DMV and pay the fees to have it re-titled and registered as a 906 class code (mini truck). It currently has a 902 (Off Road) class code.You also need a notarized statement saying it meets all of the safety requirements. The attached PDF should help.
There are a couple of drawbacks to this route. One, you will not receive a license plate, it will retain the off road sticker but other than attracting law enforcement attention, this shouldn't be an issue. Also, you can only operate the vehicle on roads posted for 55MPH or less.
For what it's worth, a friend at work had his registered this way and had no issues.

Attachments

• MINI TRUCK.pdf
    227.2 KB · Views: 284

Scatman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks grumpfish, I might pursue the mini truck route later. I’ll have to get turn indicator lights. How did you get the first title? Was it issued by the state? I bought mine used in another state. The guy said he had no title. It was just like buying a farm tractor.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Scatman, I financed my Roxor new so the dealer submitted the paperwork for the title. I think a title is only required if it is financed but Im not 100% certain. If you have the MSO, you should be able to follow the same Mini Truck course. Take a look at the pdf I attached in my last post, it talks about using the MSO to get it registered that way.

Scatman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Scatman, I financed my Roxor new so the dealer submitted the paperwork for the title. I think a title is only required if it is financed but Im not 100% certain. If you have the MSO, you should be able to follow the same Mini Truck course. Take a look at the pdf I attached in my last post, it talks about using the MSO to get it registered that way.
Thanks gumpfish. I’ll print that form and go that route. I have to get the certificate of origin.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I know this is an old thread, but I finally got my Roxor street legal in Louisiana today!!
I paid it off and got the title over a year ago, but haven't thought too much about it since then with everything going on in life. Over the last few weeks, Ive been transferred to one of our plants that is only 8 miles from my house, so I started thinking it would be great to drive the Roxor instead of my F250 or Jeep Gladiator.
Anyway, enough with my personal stuff. The process was very simple, bring the title, registration, proof of insurance, and the statement saying you have all of the required items identified in the Louisiana Mini Truck Policy to the DMV or private title agent and they can take care of it. They have to reissue the title and registration since the Body, Class, Spec, and Use codes all change. They gave me the new registration and a new Off-Road sticker and the re-issued title should be here in a few days.
The lady at the title agent office said the system process was essentially like I was transferring the vehicle from me to me to re-title and register it. I only had to pay the tile and registration fees ($147).
The only downside in Louisiana is you cant get a regular plate even if you pay extra; yes I asked and the system would not allow it. I thought maybe the Mini Truck Policy was set up to do and charge the minimum, but might allow a plate for additional fees.
Anyway, its done and I look forward to some brisk Fall morning drives to the plant!

Vinny

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Congrats! Hey, if the only bad thing was the size of the plate, you did great!👍

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I know this is an old thread, but I finally got my Roxor street legal in Louisiana today!!
I paid it off and got the title over a year ago, but haven't thought too much about it since then with everything going on in life. Over the last few weeks, Ive been transferred to one of our plants that is only 8 miles from my house, so I started thinking it would be great to drive the Roxor instead of my F250 or Jeep Gladiator.
Anyway, enough with my personal stuff. The process was very simple, bring the title, registration, proof of insurance, and the statement saying you have all of the required items identified in the Louisiana Mini Truck Policy to the DMV or private title agent and they can take care of it. They have to reissue the title and registration since the Body, Class, Spec, and Use codes all change. They gave me the new registration and a new Off-Road sticker and the re-issued title should be here in a few days.
The lady at the title agent office said the system process was essentially like I was transferring the vehicle from me to me to re-title and register it. I only had to pay the tile and registration fees ($147).
The only downside in Louisiana is you cant get a regular plate even if you pay extra; yes I asked and the system would not allow it. I thought maybe the Mini Truck Policy was set up to do and charge the minimum, but might allow a plate for additional fees.
Anyway, its done and I look forward to some brisk Fall morning drives to the plant!
Thanks for the information.
Will try again.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the information.
Will try again.
I was hoping you were still active on here since it seemed like we were in a similar spot. It was way easier than I expected considering my experience with the DMV person last year. Actually, what she was telling me was accurate, she just didnt give me any details so I could understand and she did it in a very rude way!
If you have your title, it should be easy. I definitely recommend going to a private title agent. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited: