ooooooooooo

Locking Hubs R. Locking Diff?

bengoshi

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I'm looking at a 2019, for use on a Vineyard. We have some steep sections, not crazy steep, but will be pulling 1 ton of a grapes 6 times a day during harvest, up and down the hills -- fine wine grapes we cannot loose. The dealer insisted we need to get Front Locking Hubs and the R. Locking Diff. Is he right? Best

MAGAHAWK

If by front locking hubs your dealer is referring to a Warn style hubs they are not correct regarding pulling power and traction in 4wd. In a brief nutshell: Warn hubs are actually "unlocking hubs" in that they are actually meant to disengage the front 4wd system. This eliminates excessive wear on the front 4wd components and makes steering easier especially on pavement. Using Warn hubs "unlocked" you will be in 2wd. Easier steering, less wear and tear on components and a little better fuel mileage. Warn hubs will do absolutely nothing to improve traction or pulling power on a stock 4wd differential. Won't go into more details here but you can research for more info. The hubs are great however if you plan on much pavement driving. Rear locking diff will increase traction by directing power to both rear wheels. (without locking diffs you are technically a 2wd vehicle. I am going to say that your stock ROXOR will pull the load you described with no problem at all. Just make sure you use a frame mount hitch and not a bumper mount. Your dealer is either misinformed or trying to get into your pocket. If money is no object and you want the best of both worlds and enjoy absolute maximum traction in all severe off road conditions then install lockers both ends (lot's of options brands, prices, and opinions on the best) and also Warn hubs on the front for the above mentioned reasons Hope this helps.

B

Bister

What are you using now to pull them around?

I don't think you will need anything extra. All 4 of your wheels will be on about the same type of ground/traction. Lockers are more important when wheels are on different surfaces or mudding/rock climbing or not on the ground at all. I drag around trailer that holds about 2/3 - 3/4 of a cord of green aspen (about 3900-4500 pounds for a full cord according to various sites via Google) in 2 wheel drive and I have no problem. Once in awhile I do have to go to 4 lo and I do have the warn front hubs plus front and rear lockers, but the lockers are not really needed for that situation.

IMG_6328.JPGIMG_6331.JPGIMG_6336.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Agreed. I have the Warn Front Locking hubs. I do a lot of road travel and the ability to access low range transmission when needed without being in 4WD is great. 3rd gear low range is great for tooling around

bengoshi

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
If by front locking hubs your dealer is referring to a Warn style hubs they are not correct regarding pulling power and traction in 4wd. In a brief nutshell: Warn hubs are actually "unlocking hubs" in that they are actually meant to disengage the front 4wd system. This eliminates excessive wear on the front 4wd components and makes steering easier especially on pavement. Using Warn hubs "unlocked" you will be in 2wd. Easier steering, less wear and tear on components and a little better fuel mileage. Warn hubs will do absolutely nothing to improve traction or pulling power on a stock 4wd differential. Won't go into more details here but you can research for more info. The hubs are great however if you plan on much pavement driving. Rear locking diff will increase traction by directing power to both rear wheels. (without locking diffs you are technically a 2wd vehicle. I am going to say that your stock ROXOR will pull the load you described with no problem at all. Just make sure you use a frame mount hitch and not a bumper mount. Your dealer is either misinformed or trying to get into your pocket. If money is no object and you want the best of both worlds and enjoy absolute maximum traction in all severe off road conditions then install lockers both ends (lot's of options brands, prices, and opinions on the best) and also Warn hubs on the front for the above mentioned reasons Hope this helps.

Some good advice. Yeah, I am getting my pocket picked. The vineyard is all dirt, generally dry at harvest (fingers crossed). We do have some steeper trails but its not like an off-road track. So I think your suggesting the stock configuration is fine for my needs, at least as far as locking etc. BTW, the dude also told me no need to upgrade to frame mount hitch! (And his price keeps changing). Thanks again

bengoshi

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
What are you using now to pull them around?

I don't think you will need anything extra. All 4 of your wheels will be on about the same type of ground/traction. Lockers are more important when wheels are on different surfaces or mudding/rock climbing or not on the ground at all. I drag around trailer that holds about 2/3 - 3/4 of a cord of green aspen (about 3900-4500 pounds for a full cord according to various sites via Google) in 2 wheel drive and I have no problem. Once in awhile I do have to go to 4 lo and I do have the warn front hubs plus front and rear lockers, but the lockers are not really needed for that situation.

View attachment 4269View attachment 4270View attachment 4271
Good shots. We are using an ancient Chevy pickup, ancient. Never a problem. I’m sensing a theme here. This truck is going to be stuck on this California Vineyard, I’m not going crazy, I don’t think I need anything extra. Btw what type hitch do you have?

B

Bister

Good shots. We are using an ancient Chevy pickup, ancient. Never a problem. I’m sensing a theme here. This truck is going to be stuck on this California Vineyard, I’m not going crazy, I don’t think I need anything extra. Btw what type hitch do you have?
If that truck handles it with ease, so will the Roxor.

I have the factory pintle combo, its all that was available when I bought mine and I'm in Canada, so shipping anything else here cost a fortune if it's not from Roxor (shipped free to the dealer). Lots of hitches showing up. No matter what you buy, it has to go right from one frame rail to the next or you will twist that back cross member. It doesn't necessarily have to mount to the frame, but that back piece can twist easy. StrongMade hitches just bolt in the center and that happens.

bengoshi

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

So does this mean I should opt for the ROXOR 2” receiver, a $519 extra? I am ok with that if its necessary for me to haul our Zinfandel; I dont want anything cracking. The dealer told me I was fine with just the pintle ball hitch. Particularly if I will be saving $$ by not going for the locking hubs or diff

B

Bister

So does this mean I should opt for the ROXOR 2” receiver, a $519 extra? I am ok with that if its necessary for me to haul our Zinfandel; I dont want anything cracking. The dealer told me I was fine with just the pintle ball hitch. Particularly if I will be saving $$ by not going for the locking hubs or diff
Pintle will be fine as long as it is the OEM one and if you don't need a receiver. Just don't buy one of those receivers that bolt to the centre of the rear crossmember. The pintle combo from Roxor comes with a 19 pound 3/8' plate for backing, you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

bengoshi

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Pintle will be fine as long as it is the OEM one and if you don't need a receiver. Just don't buy one of thugs receivers that bolt to the centre of the rear crossmember. The pintle combo from Roxor comes with a 19 pound 3/8' plate for backing, you're good to go.
You da best. Just saved me $500!

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
We have both the OTR rear bumper and the OEM Mahindra pintle hitch. Both haul flawlessly. I'm sure the aftermarket Mahindra rear bumper also works well. Unless you need the vertical adjustability of a receiver hitch, however, the pintle hitch offers a far less expensive option and has thus far proven tough as nails. For vineyard driving on mostly dry ground without a lot of steep terrain you should be just fine with minimal modifications beyond a decent hitch. Locking hubs are convenient add-ons, but as noted elsewhere have nothing to do with towing, per se. For periodic encounters with muddy conditions, it'll rapidly become obvious that the treads on the BFG KO2s quickly fill with dirt and that can feel like a viscous hydroplaning situation. In the spirit of lipstick on a pig, 4WD and lockers are of marginal help to racing slicks. For 95 percent of Roxor use on our mountain farm, the OEM tires are okay, but when things turn prolonged wet in the winter, more aggressive treads would certainly help. This is a main reason why there is a lot of forum discussion about aftermarket tire sizes and treads in combination with gearing devices for those seeking optimal traction/pulling power. -- Lots of solid advice from those folks.

bengoshi

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
We have both the OTR rear bumper and the OEM Mahindra pintle hitch. Both haul flawlessly. I'm sure the aftermarket Mahindra rear bumper also works well. Unless you need the vertical adjustability of a receiver hitch, however, the pintle hitch offers a far less expensive option and has thus far proven tough as nails. For vineyard driving on mostly dry ground without a lot of steep terrain you should be just fine with minimal modifications beyond a decent hitch. Locking hubs are convenient add-ons, but as noted elsewhere have nothing to do with towing, per se. For periodic encounters with muddy conditions, it'll rapidly become obvious that the treads on the BFG KO2s quickly fill with dirt and that can feel like a viscous hydroplaning situation. In the spirit of lipstick on a pig, 4WD and lockers are of marginal help to racing slicks. For 95 percent of Roxor use on our mountain farm, the OEM tires are okay, but when things turn prolonged wet in the winter, more aggressive treads would certainly help. This is a main reason why there is a lot of forum discussion about aftermarket tire sizes and treads in combination with gearing devices for those seeking optimal traction/pulling power. -- Lots of solid advice from those folks.

Love it I think I’m finally going to pull the trigger — so glad I came here rather than just listen to the dealer. I first encountered a Mehindra in India two years ago. I was like “what is this? I want one!” Now our Vineyard will have a great new truck. ??

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I agree, the Factory BFG KO2 are about worthless for me on the cattle farm . I dreaded going anywhere in wet conditions with them. Now I have a more aggressive tire in the MUD STAR and it will now go in 2 WD most places I was dreading with the BFG. ( I bought them at Simple tire and sold the BFG KO2 with 200 miles to bil for his hay wagon . Actually had one wheel fall into a36" deep hole in the pasture and crawled out with the mud stars.Love those tires.

MAGAHAWK

Love it I think I’m finally going to pull the trigger — so glad I came here rather than just listen to the dealer. I first encountered a Mehindra in India two years ago. I was like “what is this? I want one!” Now our Vineyard will have a great new truck. ??
I think you’re going to be surprised with the performance of your new ROXOR. You won’t have any reason to “WINE” about it ?