ooooooooooo

Lockers

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Going to do spartan lockers this winter. are the same parts used for both front and rear differential? I’ve looked at several videos ets and all seem to do the install with the axels out. Can the install be done with the axels in the vehicle? I have a lift so it’s not an issue to remove the axels, but with the lift access to the diff while installed should be doable?

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
They're both the same.

I don't recommend a front spartan. I don't know from experience, but from what I have read, guys with front spartan lockers hate it. Makes it difficult to turn.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Axles have to come out cause you have to remove the carrier to install the Spartans. I believe the ring gear also has to come off the carrier as well. Left hand thread bolts so don’t try and go counter clockwise to remove them otherwise you’ll snap them like Has been done by others in the past.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I’m seeing a lot of variation in pricing for dana44 lockers. Amazon has powertrax 2410 lock right sir 249
An Aussie locker for 269. Both look identical to the spartan. Any reason not to save a few bucks (I can but for,both axels and be at the same price for a single spartan

B

Bister

Btw by axels,out I meant dropping the pumpkin. I know I have to pull the actual axel out
You do them right on the Roxor. Don't forget to put the spacer back in or you will be doing them again. I had a lunchbox locker in the front. I had it removed and had an OX put in.

B

Bister

Any problems that caused you to change the front out
I hated the steering when in 4x4. I don't need full lock all the time, but I do need to have the front end engaged for putting around my trails. Since I changed out to the OX locker, I have engaged it once this summer. I like the Spartan in the rereads axle though. Knowing it is locked up when I need a bit more traction when I am in 2 wheel drive is nice and saves me from even engaging 4x4 lots. I do drive around in low range lots so the steering sucked big time, all the time.

I probably don't event need the locker in the front for the way I use my Roxor, but it's nice to have and this is the last SxS I am buying.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Interesting. I think I will start with the rear. On my gladiator (which does not see any Offroad other than in a field). I’ve only used the rear locker in the winter, and that was only 2 times. I think I will go with the rear to start, particularly since I just finished installing a winch.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BTW this also will be the last SxS that I buy. I wanted a Roxor since they came out, I’m glad I was cheap and waited, I was able to get my 2019 for a huge discount (4K about) from MSRP). Today was a big day, winch came yesterday, today my new ecu came. Now if I could just get a damn radiator I’d be back on the trail (I hate usin my wife’s SxS after running the Roxo, so much quieter and better in more ways I can count)

B

Bister

BTW this also will be the last SxS that I buy. I wanted a Roxor since they came out, I’m glad I was cheap and waited, I was able to get my 2019 for a huge discount (4K about) from MSRP). Today was a big day, winch came yesterday, today my new ecu came. Now if I could just get a damn radiator I’d be back on the trail (I hate usin my wife’s SxS after running the Roxo, so much quieter and better in more ways I can count)
What is your other SxS? And does it have a selectable locking front diff?

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The other SxS is a Mahindra XTV 750. It does have an electric locking diff, and I have used it when fetching deer carcasses in the winter. Both really could use chains in this task, I’ll probably get some for the Roxor since it’s my go to. No need for a plow on it, I have a Mahindra tractor with heated cab and front snowblower to clear my 1/4 mile driveway. Yes I’m kind of a Mahindra fan, a long time friend (50 years) owns the local dealership and he does great by me

B

Bister

Ok, I was just wondering. If you put a Lunchbox locker in the front of the Roxor, it will act just like your other UTV when you have the diff locked up....all the time when you have it in 4x4 especially if you lock up the back also cause it will want to push you straight, just like the other one unless it has turf mode. That's why I was wondering.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You do them right on the Roxor. Don't forget to put the spacer back in or you will be doing them again. I had a lunchbox locker in the front. I had it removed and had an OX put in.
Could you not install manual hubs on the front with a lunchbox locker and unlock a single hub to simulate an open diff when needed? Then Pop it in 2wd when you don't need 4x4 to reduce wear on the front diff...

B

Bister

Could you not install manual hubs on the front with a lunchbox locker and unlock a single hub to simulate an open diff when needed? Then Pop it in 2wd when you don't need 4x4 to reduce wear on the front diff...
I tried that, I don't know if it worked good or not. It pulled to the side that was engaged, again screwing up my steering. Since I had both, the OX for me is the only way to go on the front if you are going to do a locker and keep your Roxor for a long time. I rarely disengage my front hubs now, maybe if its a long dry spell and I probably don't need 4x4 in my trails. Lots of steep parts if they are a bit wet, or wet grass on a steep part, the Spartan in the back gets me through in 2x4. Everyone says to just disengaged the hubs, that kind of defeats the purpose of a locker for me. I did some on the road. I hated getting in and out to play with the hubs. Now I have steering and full locked 4x4 on command, like my old Yamaha's. I don't even think I really need it in the front for the little bit I use it, the back one is defiantly needed for me, but I wouldn't give it up now.