ooooooooooo

Hubs. To Lock or Not to Lock?

MAGAHAWK

Seeing quite a few questions on here about locking hubs so I thought it would be helpful to provide a link below that really helped me understand what locking hubs do and don't do. Enjoy! locking hubs - to lock or not to lock, how to use manual locking hubs
I read the above info and actually feel there are several inaccuracies. Biggest confusion comes from the term "locking hubs". More realistically they should be called "unlocking" hubs - and hear's why: A bone stock Roxor has what are commonly referred to as open differentials. Meaning just one side of a given axle provides traction. It's actually a 2wd vehicle because only one front wheel and one rear wheel supply traction. If you nail it on gravel in 2wd and go back and look at the tire marks you will notice only one wheel left marks indicating spinning, or traction. If you have aftermarket lockers, limited slip, or positraction (different names but same results) differential installed then both wheels will "spin out" meaning you have traction or "grip on both wheels". Lockers provide for the transfer of power from the wheels that "slip" to the wheels that "grip". These same principles also apply for the front diff.

Now regarding 'Locking hubs" ...... a guy named Warn developed front hub locks in the mid 1940's designed to fit all the surplus WW2 Jeeps that were being obtained for civilian use on paved roads. (4wd needs "loose" surface conditions IE: dirt, sand, snow, water to help eliminate excessive component wear and hard steering when being driven on hard surfaces. (another topic) So - what warn did was design a retrofit hub that would allow the front drive axle components to rotate freely without 4wd assist, turning a vehicle into a rear 2wd when the front hubs were "disengaged" or in the "free" position as indicated on the hub. Setting to the "lock" position simply returns the system to the original factory 4wd setting and does nothing to improve traction over the stock non - hub equipped vehicle when in 4wd. The advantages in the ability to unlock the original front diff: easier steering, less wear and drag on front axle components, less front tire wear and thus a small increase in fuel mileage. It is a difference you can actually feel when driving. Not installing Warn hubs will absolutely not change your 4wd performance from stock configuration in any way.

Depending on conditions however, and the way you most often use your vehicle then a form of locking differentials (you can do just rear, front or both) can make all the difference in obtaining ultimate traction when driving in SEVERE off road situations. Power is sent to both left and right rear wheels and both left and right front wheels equally

Two identical Roxors attempting the same run up a hill - One with hubs, one without: SAME RESULT (unless the guy with hubs forgets to put them in the "lock position)

Probably half of the guys that brag about having "locking hubs" don't even know what it means but guys with locking diffs know and appreciate the advantage with lockers during heavy duty off road performance when their in the Sh*t

Bottom Line: if you drive quite a bit on hard surface roads the hubs can be a good way to go...... If not - no big deal

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I am curious to know what the inaccuracies are? The article is describing the functioning of the hubs, not the differentials. It presumes both differentials remain locked as is evident from the drawings.

MAGAHAWK

I am curious to know what the inaccuracies are? The article is describing the functioning of the hubs, not the differentials. It presumes both differentials remain locked as is evident from the drawings.
Well OK - I realize it's all about the hubs, but a person needs to understand how diffs work in order to have a full understanding and appreciation of locking hubs and their advantages. by the way - think that's why they included the diagram at the end of the article ?

2nd paragraph in the article is contradicted by the statements in the 4th paragraph. No one is saying the front diff isn't strong enough. Don't know where that came from. The reasons for free wheeling front hubs are obvious as stated in paragraph 4 of the article referred to. that's a direct contradiction to the statements in the previous paragraph (2)........ nuff said

"You will be stranded if the hub is damaged" - Not really - this is a very rare occurrence (Been using warn hubs since they invented dirt - never seen it happen) but IF it should happen then simply revert to 2wd. If a person does not have the basic tools equipment and knowledge to get themselves out of what are usually simple circumstances they should not venture into remote areas in the first place. Rule #1 Don't get yourself into situations that you can't get yourself out of. Self reliance is what it's all about and 1/2 the fun of any outdoor adventure.

In my opinion and experience Warn makes the best quality products - several Bazillion warn hub customers can't be wrong.

Any way - just my 2 cents worth for sake of discussion. I think once a person actually experiences the benefits of free wheeling hubs they will have a better understanding and appreciation of their true value on 4wd vehicles. They are of great value to me because I drive on hard surface roads to get to my favorite desert areas. Wouldn't be without them.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thank you Magahawk. Your response is very informative and appreciated, particularly the time you took to point out the discrepancies. Between the article and your response I feel I really understand how this all works now.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This is good information. Just this hot day, I was checking the electric fence and got one front wheel in a ravine.. There I was,teetering on and off one of the back wheels. I thought I'd do a slow roll if I had to take a breath even . But, after saying a prayer and 4L, as the air rear wheel made momentary contact with the ground , I got right out. I could not have gotten out of the Roxor to manage hubs because of the predicament so was very grateful that I had not yet installed the lock/unlockable warn hubs (sitting on my shelf).

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
This is good information. Just this hot day, I was checking the electric fence and got one front wheel in a ravine.. There I was,teetering on and off one of the back wheels. I thought I'd do a slow roll if I had to take a breath even . But, after saying a prayer and 4L, as the air rear wheel made momentary contact with the ground , I got right out. I could not have gotten out of the Roxor to manage hubs because of the predicament so was very grateful that I had not yet installed the lock/unlockable warn hubs (sitting on my shelf).
I am of the opinion I will invest in the rear locking differential first before anything, but unfortunately my dealer is very far away so may have to figure out how to do it myself. Do you have a locking rear diff and would that have helped?

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
No, I don't have the rear locking diff. I also had my self convinced that I needed them but then... I first got some good gripper tires and put the BFGko2s on a hay wagon - yes a hay wagon. That's the only place they belong on this farm as we have lots of mud in the winter. My bil paid me $300 for the set so I came out ok. I think the difference in that money and my Mud Star grippers was less than $200 including mounting and balancing. They made a world of difference - I mean a world of difference in climbing out.
I had 2 consecutive RTV's 900s with about 8,500 hours of total seat time before the Roxor came into my life and only used its differential maybe 3 or 4 times in those 14 years. So I'm gonna wait on the rear diff locks.

B

Bister

No, I don't have the rear locking diff. I also had my self convinced that I needed them but then... I first got some good gripper tires and put the BFGko2s on a hay wagon - yes a hay wagon. That's the only place they belong on this farm as we have lots of mud in the winter. My bil paid me $300 for the set so I came out ok. I think the difference in that money and my Mud Star grippers was less than $200 including mounting and balancing. They made a world of difference - I mean a world of difference in climbing out.
I had 2 consecutive RTV's 900s with about 8,500 hours of total seat time before the Roxor came into my life and only used its differential maybe 3 or 4 times in those 14 years. So I'm gonna wait on the rear diff locks.
I have Spartans front and rear, but if I did it again, I would do an OX in the front and the Spartan in the back still. Might change it someday, just not feeling rich. lol

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
As I understand Warn front locking hubs, it allows the front end to be disengaged and all that stuff isn’t moving. I installed it because I can access low range and not be in 4WD. I agree on tires. I sold my BFGKO2 and bought the BFGKM3. A world of difference in traction. It is all I need for my purposes in my terrain.