ooooooooooo

Harbor Freight winch install

Renegade6

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Latest project is installing a Harbor Freight 12K Winch using the Harbor Freight winch plate and the stock bumper. Nothing too complicated, just a big of fabricating. You have to trim down the winch plate and then drill holes to match up with ones that already exist in the Roxor frame. The winch plate has a lot of holes in it already however; none of them match up. When you drill the holes, you will end up having some of the holes you drill touch the existing holes and you will need to use a die grinder to finish them off. One thing I did different is enlarge the holes in the frame to 9/16" to allow for the metric mounting bolts that I already had to fit in. Additionally, I had to fabricate spacers using rectangle tubing to get the winch plate above the adjuster on the steering gear box and trim the bumper so it would fit the fairlead and spacers.

20180916_132054.jpg20180916_135621.jpg20180916_141221.jpg20180916_151521.jpg20180916_155109.jpg20180915_171256.jpg20180915_172153.jpg20180916_131151.jpg20180916_140336.jpg

Last edited:

Shortbus

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My brother has the small version for a UTV and it has been holding up great.

Renegade6

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I've one of the smaller ones on a trailer for several years and no issues. So far so good with the one on the Roxor. Used it a couple of weeks ago to pull me out of the mud.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thanks for the pics. I'm going to go this way as well. I just like the look of the plain bumper better then the roxor winch bumper and I already have a winch ready to go for it. I figured it was this easy but its nice to see beforehand.

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Latest project is installing a Harbor Freight 12K Winch using the Harbor Freight winch plate and the stock bumper. Nothing too complicated, just a big of fabricating. You have to trim down the winch plate and then drill holes to match up with ones that already exist in the Roxor frame. The winch plate has a lot of holes in it already however; none of them match up. When you drill the holes, you will end up having some of the holes you drill touch the existing holes and you will need to use a die grinder to finish them off. One thing I did different is enlarge the holes in the frame to 9/16" to allow for the metric mounting bolts that I already had to fit in. Additionally, I had to fabricate spacers using rectangle tubing to get the winch plate above the adjuster on the steering gear box and trim the bumper so it would fit the fairlead and spacers.

View attachment 1247View attachment 1248View attachment 1250View attachment 1251View attachment 1252View attachment 1254View attachment 1255View attachment 1256View attachment 1249

View attachment 1247View attachment 1248View attachment 1250View attachment 1251View attachment 1252View attachment 1254View attachment 1255View attachment 1256View attachment 1249
Renegade 6, I like what you have done here. It is a solid solution to mounting a winch at a much more affordable price. I take it you were able to get the nuts on the back side of the mounting plate bolts by just reaching up into the frame tube?

Renegade6

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Renegade 6, I like what you have done here. It is a solid solution to mounting a winch at a much more affordable price. I take it you were able to get the nuts on the back side of the mounting plate bolts by just reaching up into the frame tube?

Yes, having flange nuts helped it stay on the wrench.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, having flange nuts helped it stay on the wrench.

Maybe I should post a video about this. The easiest way to do it is to buy some 3/8x2" grade 8 bolts. If you take a foot of light guage wire like thermostat wire and wrap it around the threads and that will hold the bolt. Of course use a washer too and then feed the wire through the frame and pull the bolt through the hole. Then use a nut and washer to hold the bolt to the frame and now you have a stud to work with. After I installed 4 studs I marked that on the winch plate and drilled. Then I used a second set of washers and nuts to hold the plate to the frame. It's also a very good idea to drill a 1 1/2 hold above the steering box so it can be adjusted without having to remove the winch plate.