ooooooooooo

HARBOR FREIGHT TOW BAR......

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
OK. You caused me many hours of screaming, dirt in my eyes, busted knuckles and a few choice words with your damn tow wire harness idea. Its a damn good thing the Roxor is like a Jungle Jim. I was crawling all over and under, up and down, pulling my fat ass up from the floor and under the chassis using drive shafts, wheels, door openings and the roll bars to get this fat old man underneath to tie up the wires.

I ran it all in split tubing. I decided to run down the right frame rail. I thought my existing magnetic tow light wire harness was not long enough to run down the left and then back over to the right side where the lights are correctly positioned with the wire going to the right light first then running over to the left light. I made some Z clips for the tow bar harness to keep it tucked inside the U channel. I then ran the harness down through the winch wiring hole and back along the right frame picking up existing wires, frame holes and so on till I got to the rear bumper. I then ran it out the right side pocket in the bumper where the plug will also roll up nicely and stow when not used.

So I have a disconnect at the tow bar and at the rear so I can remove the tow bar and also I can disconnect the magnetic lights and stow them and the plug.

The POS plugs that splice right to wires were junk and took some re work but now work. All in all I am happy with it. Thank you for doing yours and bringing that great idea forward. Next time though you need to offer to do it too! LOL!

BDRAG

View attachment 2893View attachment 2894View attachment 2895View attachment 2896View attachment 2897
BDRAG, damn you had me laughing my butt off when I read your post! I went through the same thing! At 62 myself crawling around on the cold garage floor doing these projects really is a pain in the a##! That being said, it makes stuff easier going forward, like hooking up our tow bars.
OK. You caused me many hours of screaming, dirt in my eyes, busted knuckles and a few choice words with your damn tow wire harness idea. Its a damn good thing the Roxor is like a Jungle Jim. I was crawling all over and under, up and down, pulling my fat ass up from the floor and under the chassis using drive shafts, wheels, door openings and the roll bars to get this fat old man underneath to tie up the wires.

I ran it all in split tubing. I decided to run down the right frame rail. I thought my existing magnetic tow light wire harness was not long enough to run down the left and then back over to the right side where the lights are correctly positioned with the wire going to the right light first then running over to the left light. I made some Z clips for the tow bar harness to keep it tucked inside the U channel. I then ran the harness down through the winch wiring hole and back along the right frame picking up existing wires, frame holes and so on till I got to the rear bumper. I then ran it out the right side pocket in the bumper where the plug will also roll up nicely and stow when not used.

So I have a disconnect at the tow bar and at the rear so I can remove the tow bar and also I can disconnect the magnetic lights and stow them and the plug.

The POS plugs that splice right to wires were junk and took some re work but now work. All in all I am happy with it. Thank you for doing yours and bringing that great idea forward. Next time though you need to offer to do it too! LOL!

BDRAG

View attachment 2893View attachment 2894View attachment 2895View attachment 2896View attachment 2897

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BDRAG, damn you had me laughing my butt off when I read your post! I went through the same thing! At 62 myself crawling around on the cold garage floor doing these projects really is a pain in the a##! That being said, it makes stuff easier going forward, like hooking up our tow bars.
You did the same thing I did just without the sockets bolted into the bumper. The pics really show what the idea is all about.

Bob Shiels

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So as many of you know by now, Texas is being a dick about tagging the Roxor for street use. So for now, as my battle continues, I went and bought the $55.00 on sale Harbor Freight Tow bar. Its rated for 5000 lbs. I have the SE model with winch and winch bumper. The supplied attach brackets hole pattern is just about 1/16-1/8 inch to narrow to pick up the existing bumper mount bolts. Easy fix. I filed and ground the holes outside edges to form a slight slot. BADABING! they lined up perfect. Mounted and tightened everything up as specified.

So the next day I bought about 30 feet of chain and 4 hooks and 4 attach rings with the threaded opening area thingies. Cut the chains to the right lengths. Installed the hooks and hooked it up for a test run. All went well. Placed Transfer case in neutral as well as transmission. It pulled fantastic up to 50 mph.

So its good for short hauls to my buddies place where we then load it on his 16 foot trailer. Its a 15 mile drive. Diffs and transfer case were slightly warm. Nothing hot and smoking. LOL. Still waiting on Mahindra to post a thumbs up for the flat tow method of operation. Another member towed 90 miles with no issues. So fingers cross that for short hauls for now I'm good. Well worth the $100 invested with about 2 hours of labor.

Oh and I bought the $18.00 tow lights set. LOL. Works great. Magnetic bases.

BDRAG

View attachment 1783View attachment 1784View attachment 1785View attachment 1786
Are you the guy I met last Saturday when I was picking up my new Roxor in Plano? If so, I'd like to hear the final details when you get your Roxor street legal. Thanks..

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Are you the guy I met last Saturday when I was picking up my new Roxor in Plano? If so, I'd like to hear the final details when you get your Roxor street legal. Thanks..
Yes. Your last 4 digits of your cell number are 2528.

BDRAG

Bob Shiels

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes. Your last 4 digits of your cell number are 2528.

BDRAG
Yes! I had read your post prior to meeting you! Nice setup by the way! I’m really pleased with my new Roxor! Where do you drive yours? I have mine on my ranch along with several Honda Pioneers. 700 and 1000. Also Honda Rancher but this Roxor is a tough workhorse and just so cool!

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Yes! I had read your post prior to meeting you! Nice setup by the way! I’m really pleased with my new Roxor! Where do you drive yours? I have mine on my ranch along with several Honda Pioneers. 700 and 1000. Also Honda Rancher but this Roxor is a tough workhorse and just so cool!

I have 80 acres in east Texas southeast of Palestine. Creeks, sand, mud and the cabin we built back in 95. The man cave in the woods! Lol.

roxor screen saver 1.jpg roxor at cabin 1.jpg roxor at cabin 3.jpg

B

Bister

I have 80 acres in east Texas southeast of Palestine. Creeks, sand, mud and the cabin we built back in 95. The man cave in the woods! Lol.

View attachment 3956View attachment 3957View attachment 3958
I would 'double like' your cabin post if I could. My brother and I built this place starting with what is now the wood shed and then the winter cabin. It's just a day cabin (no sleeping quarters) in the valley a few miles form home, but great for going to for a gathering or a ride or a great trail head for walking the dogs. This place is the main reason I bought the snow plow for my Roxor.

It started out as just an old rim for a fire pit and progressed from there. lol

Sorry for the hijack. lol
IMG_3630.jpgIMG_3631.jpgIMG_3038.JPGIMG_3143.jpgIMG_9846.JPGIMG_6214.JPGIMG_4604.JPGIMG_5193.JPG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
I would 'double like' your cabin post if I could. My brother and I built this place starting with what is now the wood shed and then the winter cabin. It's just a day cabin (no sleeping quarters) in the valley a few miles form home, but great for going to for a gathering or a ride or a great trail head for walking the dogs. This place is the main reason I bought the snow plow for my Roxor.

It started out as just an old rim for a fire pit and progressed from there. lol

Sorry for the hijack. lol
View attachment 3959View attachment 3960View attachment 3961View attachment 3962View attachment 3963View attachment 3964View attachment 3965View attachment 3966

Nice place!

I think when we built the cabin we used old wing crates from work and culled lumber from home depot. One buddy snagged 45 pcs of 3/4 ply wood from his brothers concrete form pile. Yes they were dusty! Still are! Lol. Bought 5 windows and the storm door, some cinder blocks and such. Took us about 5 weekends to build in the miserable east Texas woods in the middle of summer. No power tools, used a chain saw to cut or hand saws! Total cost with the fixes over the years and all is still less than $2000 bucks. No power or water. Traded a SKS rifle I paid $79 for to the farmer next door in 95' for the stove! Lol.

BDRAG

cabin pic 169.jpgcabin pic 15.jpgcabin pic 14.jpgcabin pic 13.jpgcabin pic 12.jpgcabin pic 11.jpgcabin pic 10.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Shiels

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Very nice! I like the stove! Looks like a fun place to hang out and drive around! That part of Texas is really pretty.

B

Bister

Nice place!

I think when we built the cabin we used old wing crates from work and culled lumber from home depot. One buddy snagged 45 pcs of 3/4 ply wood from his brothers concrete form pile. Yes they were dusty! Still are! Lol. Bought 5 windows and the storm door, some cinder blocks and such. Took us about 5 weekends to build in the miserable east Texas woods in the middle of summer. No power tools, used a chain saw to cut or hand saws! Total cost with the fixes over the years and all is still less than $2000 bucks. No power or water. Traded a SKS rifle I paid $79 for to the farmer next door in 95' for the stove! Lol.

BDRAG

View attachment 3969View attachment 3970View attachment 3971View attachment 3972View attachment 3973View attachment 3974View attachment 3975
Cool. I run some solar (needed for the electric fence to keep cows and stuff out since it is pasture land) and a generator if we need more power for something, which is rare. And we have a rain barrel. We also have a (dry) well that keeps beverages cool in the summer and from freezing in the winter.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Tows great! I bought the magnetic tow lights from HF as well. So you slotted the bracket holes 1/8 inch as well? Factory says use 4 mounting bolts per side. Brackets only have 2 holes. No brainier, used 2. LOL.

I made my own chains. I loop the safety hook from back of shackle sliding the hook above leaf spring from back side and let it hook on shackle. Stays put just just fine. Don,t forget the Warn hubs.

BDRAG
BDRAG, I am unfamiliar with the term “slotted the brake holes“ I have purchased the Harbor Freight Haulmaster Tow Bar and the magnetic lights too. I bought a step drill bit but maybe slotting a hole just means making it more oblong? Do you use a dremel grinder. Sorry about my ignorance but I know there are cures for my condition.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
BDRAG, I am unfamiliar with the term “slotted the brake holes“ I have purchased the Harbor Freight Haulmaster Tow Bar and the magnetic lights too. I bought a step drill bit but maybe slotting a hole just means making it more oblong? Do you use a dremel grinder. Sorry about my ignorance but I know there are cures for my condition.

Physicsdog, I am so sorry I just saw this post. I have not been on in a bit.

Yes, elongate the holes, one of the 2 holes or both some to fit the OEM bolt holes.

Again very sorry.

BDRAG

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Physicsdog, I am so sorry I just saw this post. I have not been on in a bit.

Yes, elongate the holes, one of the 2 holes or both some to fit the OEM bolt holes.

Again very sorry.

BDRAG
Amazing timing. I just got back from my mechanics and explained to them what I needed and they said to me, "You want us to slot the holes?" and I said (as if I knew what I was talking about - I said yes). So it was done about two hours before I read your response! It looks fine but I haven't attempted to pull the ROXOR yet - tomorrow. Question? Do you think just having the two hole plate from the Haulmaster kit will be enough for the ROXOR. The tow hook plates they took off (with the snazzy red ubolts) had four holes.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Amazing timing. I just got back from my mechanics and explained to them what I needed and they said to me, "You want us to slot the holes?" and I said (as if I knew what I was talking about - I said yes). So it was done about two hours before I read your response! It looks fine but I haven't attempted to pull the ROXOR yet - tomorrow. Question? Do you think just having the two hole plate from the Haulmaster kit will be enough for the ROXOR. The tow hook plates they took off (with the snazzy red ubolts) had four holes.
Wow! That's funny!
I have towed for a total of about 1500-1800 miles so far. No issues at all.

I think you need to invest in the front warren lockout hubs if your going to tow it. Also, I saw a service advisor bullitin at the dealer once and I think the handbook says max tow speed is 55 or 60mph. I generally tow at 65 mph and have no issues.

Bdrag

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wow! That's funny!
I have towed for a total of about 1500-1800 miles so far. No issues at all.

I think you need to invest in the front warren lockout hubs if your going to tow it. Also, I saw a service advisor bullitin at the dealer once and I think the handbook says max tow speed is 55 or 60mph. I generally tow at 65 mph and have no issues.

Bdrag
I will initially be driving just between Vegas and Cedar City Utah. I will drive 65 the first trip because the Speed limit is 80 and never less than 75 on I-15. I will probably use my “Flashers” as many folks drive 90. Don’t want to be run over. I have the Warn front hubs and have been reading that the transfer case needs to be in neutral and the Roxor is supposed to be in 1st Gear. This is very counterintuitive. Do you just feel the hubs to see if they are hot (all four?) to determine if you are doing it right? I have considered a test run with one of my friends in the Roxor to listen for grinding or Squeals etc.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
I will initially be driving just between Vegas and Cedar City Utah. I will drive 65 the first trip because the Speed limit is 80 and never less than 75 on I-15. I will probably use my “Flashers” as many folks drive 90. Don’t want to be run over. I have the Warn front hubs and have been reading that the transfer case needs to be in neutral and the Roxor is supposed to be in 1st Gear. This is very counterintuitive. Do you just feel the hubs to see if they are hot (all four?) to determine if you are doing it right? I have considered a test run with one of my friends in the Roxor to listen for grinding or Squeals etc.

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I have been in the mode of trying to retire. Yes, for good. so its been busy.

I have stopped and felt the hubs and diffs. The hubs seem warm but not hot. The diffs front and rear get pretty warm but no warmer than driving. I have never had mine make any squealing noises or had any issues sept for when I did the lift. I had to add shims to the spring perch to get the axle rotated back to OEM position to keep it tracking in turns without scrubbing. 1st gear, and in neutral on transfer case is correct. Let me know how it goes.

BDRAG

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It went very well. The rear hubs were not warm but the front hubs were just slightly warmer than ambient. No growls or squeaks during testing and so I towed it from our cabin to vegas (187 miles) at 65 mph with absolutely no problems. I only lost 1,5 mpg which I was pleasantly surprised to note and my 2017 GMC Canyon Diesel transmission temperature only increased about 10 degrees on average. I really like this little Jeep. Thank you BDRAG for your advice and everyone else who supports this method.

I have been retired now 8 years and still am not totally comfortable with the changes. I must admit, though, most times it is very nice. Good luck, Greg

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
It went very well. The rear hubs were not warm but the front hubs were just slightly warmer than ambient. No growls or squeaks during testing and so I towed it from our cabin to vegas (187 miles) at 65 mph with absolutely no problems. I only lost 1,5 mpg which I was pleasantly surprised to note and my 2017 GMC Canyon Diesel transmission temperature only increased about 10 degrees on average. I really like this little Jeep. Thank you BDRAG for your advice and everyone else who supports this method.

I have been retired now 8 years and still am not totally comfortable with the changes. I must admit, though, most times it is very nice. Good luck, Greg
Great to hear Greg.

So far every day this week has been a Saturday. Lol.

BDRAG