ooooooooooo

GL-5 vs GL-4 gear oil

CRP

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have the 2023 HD All Weather and the owner's manual recommends 80W-90 GL-5 for all drivetrain components. I have read a lot from other posts about how GL-4 is the recommendation for previous model years so not sure why the change? I doubt they changed much in the drivetrain except differential gears. I realize some of the manufacturers say their product works for both specifications so but am mainly curious why Mahindra changed the recommendations for the newer models if the drivetrain is largely the same. I'll probably go with the GL-5 oil per their specifications but please let me know if I should use GL-4 instead.

motormd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have the 2023 HD All Weather and the owner's manual recommends 80W-90 GL-5 for all drivetrain components. I have read a lot from other posts about how GL-4 is the recommendation for previous model years so not sure why the change? I doubt they changed much in the drivetrain except differential gears. I realize some of the manufacturers say their product works for both specifications so but am mainly curious why Mahindra changed the recommendations for the newer models if the drivetrain is largely the same. I'll probably go with the GL-5 oil per their specifications but please let me know if I should use GL-4 instead.
GL-5 IN THE AXLES, GL- 4 In the trans and transfer case. GL5 is bad for brass parts.

TomRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Post a screen shot of that part of the ‘23 manual

’22 and older is as motorMD posted

OffRoad709

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Out of the 2018 Manuel

Screenshot_20240501_064428_Drive.jpg

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
GL-5 supersedes all of the specifications of GL-4 and should be suitable for anything that specified GL-4. I know there are some of you who believe GL-5 is not as compatible with brass as well as GL-4, and you may be correct, but I have no experience to say that GL-5 is bad on brass, and no test data to prove it is good with brass. What I can tell you is that for an oil to be qualified to GL-5 it had to meet the more stringent specifications of GL-5 which is superior in performance to GL-4. All manufactures who specified GL-4 in the past are now specifying GL-5 for the same products because, GL-5 is now more commonly available and GL-4 will be harder and harder to find as GL-5 takes over. Most large manufacturers will run their own tests before they make the switch, if they have any concerns at all, but who knows about Mahindra. As an old engineer, I am not concerned with running GL-5 in my Roxor, and will run whatever I can find at Walmart as long as it is certified to either GL-4 or GL-5 in my 2023 HD.

TomRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Seems you are good with GL-5 all
Around in the ‘23

I would like to see a technical bulletin for us ‘22 and older guys

CRP

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks all, appreciate the input! I'm swapping all my gear oil from factory oil and at least for the first time, going to use GL-4 in the transmission and transfer case, GL-5 in the differentials until more clarity. I just putz around my property and occasionally 20 miles or so on gravel roads so no super hard use and its stock except for new shocks.

On the Amsoil site, both the GL-4 and GL-5 gear oil have a 1b rating for copper corrosion, not sure if a 3 hour test will guarantee the oils will act the same over the life of the components. I agree, something from Mahindra as to why their recommendation changed would be helpful.