ooooooooooo

Gateway "NEW 1966-77 Bronco"...legal how....???

General

Founding Member
There are some Broncos out there that are 95% restored. All new parts (except the VIN, frame, and maybe engine block). Like restoring a CJ with new (Roxor) parts!

It seems that Gateway recently got a license to reproduce them totally, all new. The problem will be that DOT will probably want a 2019 title, not a 1970, which will make inspections, registration, and insurance more difficult and expensive. If given the option, I'd stick with an older title, so the government stays uninterested. If it does have a newer title, I would fear that the title would be stamped "Off Road Only" or something, like a Roxor, because it doesn't have modern safety requirements: air bags, pedestrian safety bumpers, rearview camera, collision avoidance, etc.

Last edited:

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This "NEW" bronco legal???

Uncle Sam looks at those Broncos, Defender 90’s, CJ’s and machine guns the same way.
What do machine guns and short/steel bumpered 4x4’s have in common?
They were legal to manufacture for public use at one time but now are not.
The Gov didn’t ban vehicles without crumple zones just as they didn’t ban machine guns.
They banned the manufacturing of them. ....not counting military firearms and building a Jeep from a catalog. Both of which are possible but you can’t title a pieced together Jeep and you can buy a M249.
However you can buy a 1945 Thompson, strip it to the receiver and rebuild it.
Same with a Bronco and CJ. Like the machine gun you can do anything you want to it other that mess with the serial number or VIN in this case.
The Gov allows this because they know thru attrition short/steel 4x4’s and machine guns will fade away.
There is a fixed number of both.
Like several have stated: if you state doesn’t allow titling, buy and old CJ title and bring that title to the DMV.
Don’t brag about it. Don’t post about it.
Just do what you need to do to get a plate.
Gateway clearly states on their site that they use “barn finds”.
Personally I took advantage of Louisiana’s LSV option.
Why is this so hard for many of you to understand?

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ha! Well the General and I disagree on how Gateway is titling them.
And forgive my typos if you will. I’m using my phone.
I’ll leave my post as is for posterity.

General

Founding Member
Their website says that they could either issue a new title or use an old title, whichever the customer prefers. I agree, grandfathering and attrition seem to be their strategy to limiting the total number of these things out there.