ooooooooooo

Front and Rear lunchbox lockers?

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hello Everyone,

I have been drooling over these Roxor's for about a year now and this week I finally bought one, I take delivery next Friday! In my research I found that one of the biggest problems people seem to have with these is that they have open diffs. When I bought mine, I paid for Spartan's to be installed in both the front and the rear. The parts aren't there yet and I have probably a day or two to seek out advice from the more experienced, so I have 2 questions.

1. Will Warn hubs still unlock the front wheels if I have the front lockers installed?
2. Did I make a mistake in buying the front locker, should I cancel that and just go with the Warn's in the front?

Thank you in advance for all your help, I appreciate any advice or opinions.

General

Founding Member
"Front locker" refers to the differential. Warn locking/unlocking is on the hubs. They're different parts, and they can be used in any combination. A locking front differential can give you more traction than stock (both front wheels spinning instead of just one). (Un)locking hubs give you less traction than stock (zero front wheels spinning) which is rarely helpful off-road but can be nice for on-road comfort and ease of driving. In general things that add more spinning wheels are better for off-road but less comfortable for on-road. I understand the confusion-- locking hubs should really be called "un"locking because that's what they offer. If you have already paid for those parts and you want the most capable machine on- and off-road, then keep the locking differential plus (un)locking hubs.

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hello General,
Thanks for the timely response to a poorly worded question. I should have probably asked; If I have a front locker will the Warn hubs still work as intended? I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by putting the Spartan's in the front. I would still like the benefits provided by the Warn hubs, but I was a little worried that the Lunchbox locker would negate the effect of the hubs. So if I am understanding you correctly, the Warn hubs will still do the job of "unlocking" my wheels when needed, even if I have the Spartan Locker installed in the front, correct?

Thanks again, this forum ROCKS!

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes the warn hubs will still unlock the front hubs. The warn hubs are required for the spartan locker in the front axle so u can turn on dry hard packed terrain. Without the hubs, the front power train will bind up and cause accelerated wear on the front axle and transfer case on hard surfaces. On soft or loose surfaces, it should be fine to leave the hubs locked while in 2wd

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes the warn hubs will still unlock the front hubs. The warn hubs are required for the spartan locker in the front axle so u can turn on dry hard packed terrain. Without the hubs, the front power train will bind up and cause accelerated wear on the front axle and transfer case on hard surfaces. On soft or loose surfaces, it should be fine to leave the hubs locked while in 2wd
Thank you very much! I appreciate the response and the advice!

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the information in this thread. After watching a few videos on lunchbox lockers, it seems that the purpose of them is to give you traction and power to the other wheel when you need it, and then let the wheels spin at different speeds when no wheel is slipping, and prevent the jumping we have all experienced when turning hard at slow speeds on pavement in 4WD.

I mention this, because the purpose of the Warn locking/unlocking hub is to lock or free the wheel when off roading or in snow, but not provide traction when it isn't wanted, such as turning when driving in the lawn, etc.

With that being said, it seems counterintuitive to me that I would still need the warn locking hub on the front of the Roxor, if I have a front lunchbox locker. Are you saying that turning hard on pavement with a lunchbox locker - without the hubs unlocked, will result in things binding up?

I would prefer to not put both in, but will if it makes the most sense. I mainly will be using my Roxor for driving around the area where our cabin is, and plowing the driveway and clearing spots on the ice for ice fishing. Let me know your thoughts and helping me clarify this!

Upman

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Only suggestion I would have it when you want to unlock the hubs, first back up 2-3 feet and then put it in 2wd. It will take the bind off everything and make unlocking the warn hubs easier. I had a TJ with a lunch box locker and needed to back it up a little to disingauge 4wd.

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes, steering on hard pack road or pavement will be harder to steer with a locker in the front. Which is the reason for the hub lock out so a person can unlock the hubs on terrain that don’t need 4wd or the axle locked. The hubs also save the front axle from unnecessary wear. On ice, snow, or mud the locker won’t affect steering much.

B

Bister

Yes, steering on hard pack road or pavement will be harder to steer with a locker in the front. Which is the reason for the hub lock out so a person can unlock the hubs on terrain that don’t need 4wd or the axle locked. The hubs also save the front axle from unnecessary wear. On ice, snow, or mud the locker won’t affect steering much.
Actually the front locker effects mine lots. It is very very noticeable when in 4x4. If there is a 'next time'. I would do the spartan in the rear axle and do an OX locker in the front and only select full lock when actually needed like an ATV. The rear I don't even notice, but in 4X4 the thing will come straight home, and I mean you don't even have to touch the wheel, it just wants to go straight. But, it does climb like a mountain goat. lol

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree with Bister. I wouldn't say that I'm unhappy with the front locker, but to me, it's VERY noticeable. Apparently I don't do cool off-roading like Woodrat, (unfortunately). When I bought mine, Spartan lockers were 950 installed front and rear, Ox lockers were in the ballpark of 2k without install. I was lucky enough to break the piggy bank and pay cash for mine, and at the time it just seemed like too much money. I just looked at On the Rox and there are pages and pages of options now! A couple of months ago all we had was Ox or Spartan. Looks like the market is coming to life folks! Now for a top...

Indy4570

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I agree with Bister. I wouldn't say that I'm unhappy with the front locker, but to me, it's VERY noticeable. Apparently I don't do cool off-roading like Woodrat, (unfortunately). When I bought mine, Spartan lockers were 950 installed front and rear, Ox lockers were in the ballpark of 2k without install. I was lucky enough to break the piggy bank and pay cash for mine, and at the time it just seemed like too much money. I just looked at On the Rox and there are pages and pages of options now! A couple of months ago all we had was Ox or Spartan. Looks like the market is coming to life folks! Now for a top...

I suppose that is some solace for me having to wait ten months to get my Roxor, the speed the aftermarket is moving should ensure many more options at the time of purchase for me. I see some sort of lockers as a "have to have" item. The Woodrat is the reason I am hooked on Roxors, but that machine is not only way out of my budget but also not something I need. I will use mine for trails in my own woods and hauling/cutting wood and pulling trailers about and dragging a few non running antique tractors now n then. the steep hills in my woods will require lockers to navigate in any wet situations. spinning tires is a poor option here as chert rock will slice up your tires in a second. I need the mountain goat! At my age I cannot drag a deer up these hills to the homestead and my HPX gator is dead in the water.

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Touring Marten Beach, AB with the little one CE293395-85B6-4496-9BB0-A93A573CB800.jpeg

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Is OX still the recommended locker for the front, or is there now a better, cheaper , simpler solution? Sounds like the spartan is still the best bang for the buck in the rear, not adversely affecting driving when not in 4x4?

3ninerdelta

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks! Ill have to look into those. I like the idea of selectable, although a bit pricey.