ooooooooooo

Factory roxor diff's

Bdwelder_99

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have did a lot of searching but can not find what the factory differential are. Are they open or limited slip. I stoped at a local shop selling them. Other then the price (which they knew very well) they were clueless. If anyone knows please let us know.

JonBoyK

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have did a lot of searching but can not find what the factory differential are. Are they open or limited slip. I stoped at a local shop selling them. Other then the price (which they knew very well) they were clueless. If anyone knows please let us know.
Open diffs...they are planning to release an elocker...it is said that they are very similar to dana 44s in design. 19 spline lockers aren't exactly the most prevelant.

Desertwndrr

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
True, but 30 spline diffs are very prevalent and a set of 30 spline axle shafts would be easy to source. They did say that Dana 44 carriers and ring gears would bolt right up. You only need a spacer if you wanted to use the stock carrier with aftermarket gears.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
You have to keep in mind that these are somewhat based on the older Dana 27 design. Also the locking hub listed for the old CJ also works on the Roxor which means it probably has 10 spline outers (Unless warn came up with a totally brand new hub for them, I've emailed Warn and still awaiting reply back on this), which is also a Dana 27 design. And if the axle shaft itself is the same idea, then it has 10 spline inners aswell. I've seen people say they are 31 spline and 19 spline, but at the same time when mentioned, didn't sound too confident. I also crossed the locking hub listing over to AVM hubs who make a set for the older Mahindra solid axle models and it also says 10 spline outers. But once again, this is all speculation with what I've found. Doesn't mean it can't have 19 spline inners and 10 spline outers etc etc Really what we need is for someone to get a hold of the shop manual or just to pop the drive flange off and count splines. But then again, I just found a picture of a Bolero shaft here and you can clearly tell the difference in splines if the photo is accurate. It looks like 19 inner and 10 outer in this picture.

0027528_1160_x_1160_01(1).jpg

Bdwelder_99

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I found this video on mahindra lockers. I think its a interesting design. But not sure how dependable it will be after a few years. And the springs get weak.

Any thoughts?

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The above design is an Eaton design and looks exactly like the usual "G80" Gov lock unit found in older GM trucks. Its reliable. Requires no special additive. Its a mechanical positrac. I have zero issues with them. But under hard use they turn into "gov bombs." Anything Eaton is top notch. The picture is from an 80s K5 Blazer. You can see they are identical.

download.jpg

Bdwelder_99

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thank you for the reply tben87. I saw this video before I asked what type of diffs the roxor came with. I was hoping it would be in it since their trucks come with it. I'm kinda disappointed they come open diffs. I am wanting to pull the trigger on one. I love everything about them. Except the 45 mph limiter and open diffs. I think ill wait till they are offering lockers as a option.:sneaky:

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I'm thinking the exact same way. Buying a Roxor and then installing new differentials later won't be worth while. I'm assuming they'll offer a rear traction device for less then $400 installed at the factory. There's no way you'd be able to buy the differential afterwards and install it for less then that. I also thought it was weird that they came with open diffs front and rear. Industry standard is at least a rear traction device. We'll see how the aftermarket and Mahindra react.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
For this chassis, I’d wonder if a regular plantary can be housed behind the trans in gear reduction unit. I’d have to check shaft angles. It’d be nice to keep 3.73 in the axles for strength and cost and the fact that they keep you in the meat of torque peak at highway speeds. All things to take into account.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The parts must match up pretty closely to a factory application, I see the On the Rox fab already has an auburn posi installed in one of their units.

loboost

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just checked the Roxor accessories listings and they now have available, a Lunch Box Locker. Anyone got a clue how these work? It states that the are a snap to install then recommends professional installation.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
On most semi-float rears, with ends not compression fit with bearing, these are a breeze to install. Seriously, like a 10m job on each side. The process equates to removing and replacing the spiders. I haven't pulled an axle shaft on the Roxor yet, so I don't know if they just slide out. If they do, it will be super easy. The process is greatly simplified by the diff case not needing to come out. Therefore, a gear lash does not need to be performed.

These work with springs and blocks to keep the axles spinning together.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Sounds like we may have a winner.

They have serious appeal, due to their install process, and are usually one of the first diffs available for any platform. If they require fluid additives, be sure to heed that.

B

Bister

Check out this video. It explains how they work.

I think I will add this to the back of mine to start once the "ROXOR FUND" recovers a bit. lol

loboost

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
At $300 I can't resist. At Roxors $900 it appears they want a Caribbean vacation with every sale. Good vid.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We also have them for sale, Spartan Lunchbox Locker we can also help with install directions over the phone and with purchase we will email you Roxor Specific Installation Instructions!
I got my spartan locker through on the rox, Steven is a wiz with the gears and installs and was able to help out tremendously. I just got done helping out another member who's mechanic installed his wrong and was having serious problems, had they talked with Steven I think they would have never had a problem. The spartan works great but it's not a 10 min install. It will take the better part of 5 hrs and you better have a good wheel puller, preferably a hydrolic wheel puller to get the hubs off. The axels need to come out and the axels will need a slide hammer to pull them. Other than that it's a pretty easy job.as jrobzz said no lash needs to be set because the ring gear and carrier are reused. Save yourself 200$ and the cost of "pro install" and buy from Wyatt at on the rox. Tell him Sonny sent you;)

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
And
I got my spartan locker through on the rox, Steven is a wiz with the gears and installs and was able to help out tremendously. I just got done helping out another member who's mechanic installed his wrong and was having serious problems, had they talked with Steven I think they would have never had a problem. The spartan works great but it's not a 10 min install. It will take the better part of 5 hrs and you better have a good wheel puller, preferably a hydrolic wheel puller to get the hubs off. The axels need to come out and the axels will need a slide hammer to pull them. Other than that it's a pretty easy job.as jrobzz said no lash needs to be set because the ring gear and carrier are reused. Save yourself 200$ and the cost of "pro install" and buy from Wyatt at on the rox. Tell him Sonny sent you;)
And fwiw the 900 is for 2 lockers through mahindra, on the rox sells them for about 350 each I think. Extra cost is worth the expert advice.imho