ooooooooooo

Diesel Maintenance And Operation

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hey All,

The Roxor will be my first sway into a diesel motor. Would this be a good platform to learn on? I get that they are basically the same less spark plugs and such, but Im curious if there is more to be aware of. Im good ok gas ICE's but new to diesel.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Since this is a CR diesel, it acts very much like a DI spark motor from a control perspective. The fundamental difference in the two is not the spark IMO, it’s the active verses reactive fueling.

In a spark ICE, you actively meter air (throttle butterfly) and reactively fuel based on air.

In a diesel, you actively meter fuel and reactively air based on fuel. The engine pulls in what it can, there is no butterfly.

Again a CR system on a diesel ends up acting very much like a TPI or DI type spark efi system.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
In a mechanical diesel, non-computer controlled, think of the injection pump like a distributor that injects fuel instead of spark. There is no throttle plate, therefore the ‘carb’ concept has no diesel corrolary.

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Since this is a CR diesel, it acts very much like a DI spark motor from a control perspective. The fundamental difference in the two is not the spark IMO, it’s the active verses reactive fueling.

In a spark ICE, you actively meter air (throttle butterfly) and reactively fuel based on air.

In a diesel, you actively meter fuel and reactively air based on fuel. The engine pulls in what it can, there is no butterfly.

Again a CR system on a diesel ends up acting very much like a TPI or DI type spark efi system.

Ok, Thanks jrobz23. From there I would guess care and maintenance would be the same as a spark ICE. Should I expect engine oil pressure, water temps to be roughly the same as well? Sorry if its a stupid question, I just dont know for sure and want to lock stuff down in my head.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Temp varies engine to engine, but in general, sure they are in the ball park. I know some diesels run a little cooler than their gasoline neighbors.

Oil pressures tend to be higher on diesels but that is likely related to diesels in the US being a higher duty rating than normal consumer stuff.

Special care and maintenance is paid to the fuel than you may be used to. Water and air in the fuel are FAR more troublesome than on a normal spark engine. Also, the quality and temp of the diesel fuel is much more important. The fuel in a diesel tends to do more than simply explode on queue, so it's got more care paid to it.

Keep water out of your fuel
Keep air out of your fuel lines
Keep your fuel well filtered and treated correctly for the temp

I haven't looked, lol, but I'd be surprised if Mahindra doesn't have a section in the manual all about fuel care.

Something else about diesels: as many today are derivatives of industrial engines of yore, many retain the need to adjust valve lash. Letting this lapse will cause compression/efficiency loss.

Last edited:

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
So is there a water fuel separator at some point?
Temp varies engine to engine, but in general, sure they are in the ball park. I know some diesels run a little cooler than their gasoline neighbors.

Oil pressures tend to be higher on diesels but that is likely related to diesels more likely in the US to be a higher duty rating than normal consumer stuff.

Special care and maintenance is paid to the fuel that you may not be used to. Water and air in the fuel are FAR more troublesome than on a normal spark engine. Also, the quality and temp of the diesel fuel is much more important. The fuel in a diesel tends to do more than simply explode on queue, so it's got more care paid to it.

Keep water out of your fuel
Keep air out of your fuel lines
Keep your fuel well filtered and treated correctly for the temp

I haven't looked, lol, but I'm be surprised if Mahindra doesn't have a section in the manual all about fuel care.

Something else about diesels: as many today are derivatives of industrial engines or yore, many retain the need to adjust valve lash. Letting this lapse will cause compression/efficiency loss.

So is there a water/fuel separator in the fuel line at some point?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So is there a water fuel separator at some point?

So is there a water/fuel separator in the fuel line at some point?
It’s part of the fuel filter canister. There’s a drain for water at the bottom. Should be a light in the gauge cluster if the sensor senses water in it.