ooooooooooo

Bed Liner in Wheel Wheels

Baja405

Lifetime Member
Used a pressure washer on mud in the fender wells and the paint peeled exposing a silver textured surface. Was thinking about using a roll on bedliner material to keep the metal from rusting. Anyone do this and what do you think. I wish there where some liners we could purchase.

General

Founding Member
No bolt-in liners available yet. Caution with using bedliner in the wheel wells--the texture will accumulate dirt and mud terribly. Consider spray-on rubberized undercoating. Several of us have done that with good success. It's messy but cheap and effective.

Baja405

Lifetime Member
No bolt-in liners available yet. Caution with using bedliner in the wheel wells--the texture will accumulate dirt and mud terribly. Consider spray-on rubberized undercoating. Several of us have done that with good success. It's messy but cheap and effective.
Sounds good I will look at that.

Baja405

Lifetime Member
Not sure if it's thick and tuff enough to take a power sprayer, also looked online and some were very concerned with it trapping moisture. Included a video to show you what a mean.

General

Founding Member
Sure, the same arguments apply to any do-it-yourself coating. Surface preparation, high quality materials, and multiple layers are always important. Some people don't follow those principles, and then they're surprised when they don't get the outcome they were expecting. Lazy or inexperienced people shouldn't apply coatings by themselves; it takes lots of time and a little skill. This applies to rubberized undercoating, bed liner, or even paint.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Not sure if it's thick and tuff enough to take a power sprayer, also looked online and some were very concerned with it trapping moisture. Included a video to show you what a mean.
Thats so depressing. Thanks for posting this. I had a can of this junk ready to go when my Roxor came in. Thanks!!!

General

Founding Member
Yes, the truck in that video sadly is falling apart. You'll notice how poorly it was applied. I was obsessively careful about mine, and my final product (much less the masking process) looks much different compared to that video. I bet there are some low-cost places that spray cheap crap haphazardly, and I definitely would stay away from those business and products, but I still believe there are some quality products out there which will help prevent scrapes and rust without moisture trapping between layers like this video.

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Reviving this thread to see what products folks have used. Was considering getting the underside done with Rhino liner, and/or line-x. I however, don’t want it to hold onto extra mud when off-road. I am very curious about this now that Roxor is offering the wheels wells to be lined from the factory.

That being said, I am concerned about driving the Roxor on the road once the salt is down after the first snow. What are thoughts on the best options to protect the vehicle from salt and mud? For those that did it by hand with roll-on, what products did you use and how has it worked out?

In terms or Rhino/Line-x, what areas would I need to be careful for to make sure they don’t cover up?

MAGAHAWK

Used a pressure washer on mud in the fender wells and the paint peeled exposing a silver textured surface. Was thinking about using a roll on bedliner material to keep the metal from rusting. Anyone do this and what do you think. I wish there where some liners we could purchase.
Research "Marine grade metal primers and paint" I worked at a new car dealership for 9 years. They always offered undercoating for new cars to prevent corrosion and reduce road noise. It will in fact reduce road noise, especially on gravel. We used a thick rubber based spray on coating. I can tell you that I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. A minimum wage worker wearing a disposable coverall suit with hood, goggles and a respirator puts the victims vehicle on a rack and sprays the crap out of everything. If you could watch it being done you would cringe. It will trap dirt and moisture and make a total mess of everything. Mechanics hate working on vehicles sprayed with that crap. I've even seen small gravel and road debris actually stick to that stuff. Biggest benefit is to the dealerships bottom line profit$. With expert application, and preparation applied using expensive high quality products in very thin limited amounts such as some marine products (think salt) there can be some benefit. Best defense is to keep things clean and inspect often especially after cleaning because of mud and salt exposure and spot treat any areas showing signs of trouble with a special Marine grade primer / paint. The special compounds they use actually penetrate the surface of the exposed metal and create a molecular bond for best protection. Stay away from the Flex-Seal type products and undercoat in a can stuff you find at Walmart. From what I have observed I think Roxors are especially vulnerable to corrosion issues if neglected so stay on top of things. Option #2 ..... Consider Arizona. Clear blue skies and 83 degrees today with 9% humidity - perfect t-shirt weather in the Roxor!
Sorry just had to throw that in :cool:

B

Bister

I put bed liner (cheap stuff) on one of my flat deck truck under my water/fertilzer tank. NEVER AGAIN. The moisture/fertilzer got under it where it wore and made a mess and it was on a fresh new deck. When I put a new deck on my second truck, I did nothing. It had some minor surface rust where the tank rubbed. A wire brush cleaned it up and I rolled on some fresh paint. I do this every fall when I put the trucks away now. Blow the loose paint off and it dries. You don't notice it at first with bed liner, but when you do, it's too late. Years a go I had a deck painted with a heavy duty 2 part epoxy paint, it was tough as hell, but again once it got a scratch in it to the metal, moisture got under it and ate it away while it just bubbled up and festered. The deck was just rotten when I replaced it. The epoxy paint and bed liner just held the moisture and it ate the decks. The decks I had with cheap paint, the paint would blow off and it would dry and I would get some minor surface rust and I would touch it up. The under coated and epoxy decks took a beating and just rotted. It only happened where there was a cut or scratch for it to start or on a seam like across the front of the bed. I took off as much as I can on the one I did, hopefully it won't get much worse and it was new 3 years ago.

My paints holding up all over, but in time if I had to do something, I would clean it up and just spray flat black under my fenders and touch it up if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the advice on here. It will be interesting to see what the reviews are for the folks that choose to get the new factory option of Roxor lined wheel wells. The flat paint might be the way to go for now, or moving to Arizona.

B

Bister

Thanks for the advice on here. It will be interesting to see what the reviews are for the folks that choose to get the new factory option of Roxor lined wheel wells. The flat paint might be the way to go for now, or moving to Arizona.
Remember mine was cheap DYI stuff. Factory applied on a clean properly prepped surface might be OK. I would still be leery about stuff getting under it....in time. I'm fine with paint. My regular truck deck lasted about 30 years with sandblasting a couple times and painting and sometimes just rolling a new coat on after using a wire wheel on the bad spots. The Epoxy one was rusted out worse in 16 and I couldn't really do anything with it cause paint was so though and thick. A wire wheel wouldn't even take it off nice like regular paint.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
After power washing the liner off that was loose when removing mud, I cleaned off the BALD area with acetone then sprayed White Flex Seal on mine. So far after a year its still on there.

BDRAG

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What about POR (Paint over rust) product?

And letting a lawn sprinkler gently remove mud is a good idea. Set it up at one end of vehicle and periodically advance the sprinkler. I use a sweep style sprinkler.

Last edited: