ooooooooooo

Battery

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Fried the stock battery, I think the Stereo, heater and winch were to much, got a AGM 900 CCA at 32. No more dim lights when powering the winch.

Bhayarock

Fried the stock battery, I think the Stereo, heater and winch were to much, got a AGM 900 CCA at 32. No more dim lights when powering the winch.

I thought the fuses should blow first, and not the battery. Very strange, also I hope you used all of the above mentioned load when the engine (alternator) was on. Havent seen a fried battery in my life due to properly wired load.

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
One of the cells died, the fuses are for over amp drawl, the battery capacity coulded handle all the amps being pulled, the alternator charges the battery, it doesn’t run the accessaries. They put a larger battery in the ones with the winch and radios, I didn’t get that one. So I had the smaller battery

Bhayarock

One of the cells died, the fuses are for over amp drawl, the battery capacity coulded handle all the amps being pulled, the alternator charges the battery, it doesn’t run the accessaries. They put a larger battery in the ones with the winch and radios, I didn’t get that one. So I had the smaller battery
Well in that case yes you needed a higher amperage battery.
However battery cells dont die like you mentioned due to running heavy load, because fuses will blow first before shorting the cell. It will just discharge quicly.
On the alternator part again it charges the battery true but it's part of the same circuit so yes your accesories draw current from alternator as well.
Think of a pump filling up the tank(battery) and your water outlet hose as (load or your accesories)
Since, you have ran load over the rating of your old battery, I would suggest you to make sure alternator is working ok and generating the correct voltage when ever you get your vehicle serviced.

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Let’s agree to disagree on the fuses

I had the alternator checked. It’s was fine, I had an Rv with the Exide Batteries for the coach. They lasted two seasons. They are Junk. I wouldn’t ever buy them.

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I bought the basic ROXOR so I could build what I wanted. No winch comes with the basic as you know. In reading the owners manual it clearly states you need a bigger battery with the winch. Whether it is an Exide brand remains to be seen for me, they claim any other battery will not fit because the batttery posts could make un wanted contact and short out. I’m pretty sure other batteries will fit. I will say this, I’m going to pop the caps on my battery to make sure electrolyte (water) levels are as they should be. Then I will get a higher amp battery before I put a winch on this puppy!

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Here is what I got, fit perfect, it’s a shorter battery. It came with a tray at the bottom to raise it up. To short without it,

2DC886B7-9CD6-44AE-8824-D17655139DBA.jpeg

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Personally I'm a little confused by your explanation. I'm in agreement with many of the respondents about your fuses and the condition of the cells. I'm curious did you pop the covers off the cells and check them with a guage? You can also do a load test by disconnecting the computer and cranking the starter. A good battery should be able to crank for at least 30 seconds.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Personally I'm a little confused by your explanation. I'm in agreement with many of the respondents about your fuses and the condition of the cells. I'm curious did you pop the covers off the cells and check them with a guage? You can also do a load test by disconnecting the computer and cranking the starter. A good battery should be able to crank for at least 30 seconds.
Everyone on this site know's I'm not interested in spending more than I have too and there's no way I would have replaced the battery without doing a few more tests......

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I checked everything, I can assure everyone that the cell was bad, I knew when I added a 400watt amp, a heater and a winch it wouldn’t last.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Don't the stock batteries come with a year or two warranty? It's a standard automotive battery. Unless you wanted to upgrade to AGM. Note, Optima have had issues some time back.. I don't know about it now. Lessons learned, get an AGM with a good warranty.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Don't the stock batteries come with a year or two warranty? It's a standard automotive battery. Unless you wanted to upgrade to AGM. Note, Optima have had issues some time back.. I don't know about it now. Lessons learned, get an AGM with a good warranty.

They do. However you’d have to bring it to the dealer and of course they’re going to perform a test on the Battery. They won’t give you anything if your battery is fine and you’re just hoping to upgrade it.

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Correct, I called the dealer, they said I would have to make an appointment, 5 days out, they would only replace not upgrade.

Mine AGM has a full 3 year replacement,

EVOLTweetyBird

From my understanding, a battery like the one that comes stock is a starting battery. Designed for a short burst of high amps to start the vehicle, and then the alternator takes over to power the needs of the vehicle and recharge the battery. Couple of problems with that.
#1 if the alternator can't cover the load the battery has to try and cover for it. It's not designed to do that, constant drawing down of the battery will very quickly shorten it's life. Voltage will be there but next to no capacity to carry load demands.

Where you are going to be relying on a battery to help cover the load demands of your Roxor an AGM that has deep cycle capabilities can help, it's designed to be pulled down repeatedly and then recharged. I know with the Jeeps I've owned, I doubled up. I used a bigger amp alternator, and an AGM deep cycle/starting battery, and even is some cases two batteries. I've already been checking around for a replacement alternator with a higher amp rating that can run the vacuum pump.

Side note on an AGM, they don't like being drawn down to below 10.5 volts. Do so and unless you have a charger (not your alternator) that has AGM capability, the battery will not recharge. A little trick the guys at Optima gave me was if in this condition, simply parallel the AGM to any battery that is at 12 volts+. The two will equalize in voltage, and in doing so you can then charge both batteries at the same time.

Johnson Controls, makers of Optima and many other "brands" of AGM batteries has lost a lot of Jeep customers, due to moving operations to Mexico. Quality when out the window, and the batteries aren't what they used to be. The front runner now is the Sears Diehard Platinum for the Jeep folks.

B

Bister

A battery is considered dead at 10.5 volts, that is why they may not take a charge again.

I doubled up on my old Rhino using a battery isolator. For people not familiar with a battery isolator (common in motorhomes) it will charge your main battery first, then charge the secondary and if you run your accessories off the secondary and kill it, your vehicle will always crank. I did this in the Rhino cause the battery is so small. My plow puts a good draw on the system with the heater and lights on on the Roxor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
A battery is considered dead at 10.5 volts, that is why they may not take a charge again.

I doubled up on my old Rhino using a battery isolator. For people not familiar with a battery isolator (common in motorhomes) it will charge your main battery first, then charge the secondary and if you run your accessories off the secondary and kill it, your vehicle will always crank. I did this in the Rhino cause the battery is so small. My plow puts a good draw on the system with the heater and lights on on the Roxor.

This isn't what I was taught. 12.8 volt means fully charged. 12.4 means half charged, and under 12 volts means it's dead. From there you need to charged it and see what the voltage is after it's charged up. Hopefully it'll stay at 12.8 volts. Then you should load test it by disconnecting the computer and cranking the engine. The battery should be able to run the starter for at least 30 seconds. That's how I've always done it.

B

Bister

This isn't what I was taught. 12.8 volt means fully charged. 12.4 means half charged, and under 12 volts means it's dead. From there you need to charged it and see what the voltage is after it's charged up. Hopefully it'll stay at 12.8 volts. Then you should load test it by disconnecting the computer and cranking the engine. The battery should be able to run the starter for at least 30 seconds. That's how I've always done it.
Yep, your numbers are right. Every chart has numbers close to those, but when I said 10.5 is dead, I meant it is completely dead. This is hard to read with the logo over it, but the first one is “state of charge”.

FE50BCA3-454F-4BC0-A029-1BAA6AC38CB1.png

Last edited by a moderator: