ooooooooooo

Turbo upgrade to Stealth.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Changed out stock turbo to the new stealth aftermarket turbo. Stock turbo turned out about 8-10 boost with the wastegate limiting valve installed. I am getting about 18-20 max under heavy load with the new turbo. I also added pyro & boost gauge to monitor temps and boost.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Changed out stock turbo to the new stealth aftermarket turbo. Stock turbo turned out about 8-10 boost with the wastegate limiting valve installed. I am getting about 18-20 max under heavy load with the new turbo. I also added pyro & boost gauge to monitor temps and boost.

20200318_085828.jpg 20200318_085819.jpg

20200318_085828.jpg 20200318_085819.jpg

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A side by side pic of both turbos would of helped.

So you doubled the boost by just changing the turbo?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
A side by side pic of both turbos would of helped.

So you doubled the boost by just changing the turbo?

You don’t need to change the turbo to double the boost. Swapping the turbo will change plenty about the whole running state of the engine. More boost was likely a side effect.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You don’t need to change the turbo to double the boost.

I certainly never suggested that? Actually, a larger turbo without additional fueling would likely have the very opposite affect that he claims?

I used the lawyer approach on my question in this case, (a lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already know the answer) and he has not replied.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
turbos have an "efficiency" range so if you have a tune and added the boost increase restrictor you are pushing the OEM turbo out of its "efficiency" range. once you do that the boosted air is very hot, that increases EGT,s.. I to have the upgrade turbo, installed Thanks giving day its a great up grade. reduced EGT's less black smoke witch means i now have a better combustion burn making more power. For anyone with a "stage 2' or more performance the turbo is a good thing.

New turbo, turbine.
1584897192205.png

Old turbo, turbine.
1584897029263.png

New turbo, compressor
1584897611724.jpeg

Old turbo, compressor
1584897558556.jpeg

1584897029263.png 1584897192205.png 1584897558556.jpeg 1584897611724.jpeg 1584897611771.jpeg

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got all that. His thread suggested he just installed a bigger turbo and doubled his boost? Never mentioned a tuner or anything else. If in fact just the turbo alone did double the boost (it would not) codes and defueling would ensue without a chip or programming.

At 20 psi boost I would think an intercooler would be very benificial. Also, are there oil cooling nozzles on the pistons. These engines come with a (passive turbo) likely for a reason. Unless we know more about the actually construction and design I am personally leary to push them too hard.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have looked at the diagrams for are engine and do not see oil squirts for the pistons. So high EGT's are a issue for us. and yes a intercooler will help everything, lower intake air temps are what we need. More power and better for the engine. without oil squirters you do not want to go over 1300 degrees F. Could melt a piston. there are two intercooler kits out there right now. my Roxor it at Calibrated Power Solutions right now, they asked to borrow it for some testing on upgrades they are working on. And yes the intercooler has been installed and they are working on dyno tuning to see what gains they can get for us. They are also working on another upgrade that has been installed to see what gains can be made with that. can't wait for the results... As far as the turbo upgrade i can say it made a noticeable difference, the guys i go out wheeling with were very impressed as well.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Are you running a stock clutch or aftermarket? Seems a stock clutch with those upgrades would slip. Not certain I would be real comfortable at 1300 degrees egt. Are you talking pre or post turbo coupler location.

A 6bt Cummins will handle 1300 but they have the piston oil nozzles and I never pushed mine beyond 1100 pre turbo. Just kept with practical and useable power.

Last edited:

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
stock clutch is not a very good set up. before turbo upgrade, and with stock tires, "Stage 2 tune" it slipped a little. But when i put on 33" tires the stock clutch was done, could hardly drive it. I went with the South Bend, ceramic disk, clutch very nice clutch. non problems after that, great upgrade.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It sure sounds like you have given everthing much thought. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Waiting in the garage is all the stuff to upgrade the front axle to the 30 spline RVC axles. Trying to do the upgrade but keep the stock gears, if it works it will save money and allow people to do the upgrade themselves

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So you're OK with the 3:73's? I personally can't stand them. Those larger tires would benefit a lower ration but then again 33's are no longer considered a big tire.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Not sure yet, when we go wheeling, i put it in low and it works quit well. When we put the transfer case in low the third gear is just a little less than first in high gear. So we end up with two lower gears, does very well. But i plan to re gear once i figure out what ratio will work best for me. With tock tires we have to shift to often, need to be able to run the a gear longer. With 33' inch tires going to a 4.27 gear will put it bach to a stock RPM, and will probably have the same affect, so i don't think i will go to that, Looking more so at 4.11, IMO with a diesel engine, low RPM torque we do not need as much gear as a normal gas engine would. If you are setting up your toy for rock climbing then a higher ratio will be wanted. I guess you are a Cummings fan, well i sure am i have an 06 with manual trans, 3.73 gears and run 35" tires. well the 35" compared to stock make the truck much better, i don't have to shift as soon. A Cummings with a 4.11 gear is a night mare, can't stay in a gear and tacked out on the highway. My point is i don't want to go to high and not like it, but wanted to get e locker in the front so i can really test it out on the trails before i pull the trigger on gears. Once i make up my mind i will be adding the rear full floating axle kit.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Always appreciated the Cummins. Had three of them. I was without a diesel a number of years and when the little diesel powered Injun Jeep came out I just had to have one.

Last edited:

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
turbos have an "efficiency" range so if you have a tune and added the boost increase restrictor you are pushing the OEM turbo out of its "efficiency" range. once you do that the boosted air is very hot, that increases EGT,s.. I to have the upgrade turbo, installed Thanks giving day its a great up grade. reduced EGT's less black smoke witch means i now have a better combustion burn making more power. For anyone with a "stage 2' or more performance the turbo is a good thing.

New turbo, turbine.
View attachment 6163

Old turbo, turbine.
View attachment 6162

New turbo, compressor
View attachment 6167

Old turbo, compressor
View attachment 6166

View attachment 6162 View attachment 6163 View attachment 6166 View attachment 6167 View attachment 6168
Haerterich, you made my point and thanks for posting the pics. I just made a quick post, didn't think everyone would jump all over it. I guess I should have posted more pics and more data like you did. For the record: yes I have a stage 2 tune, upgraded air box, installing ceramic clutch this week, and plan on adding intercooler as well. So far I haven't had excessive EGT's but will add cooler anyway, I installed gauges to monitor boost & temps. LOL ---that's what the pics are showing.