ooooooooooo

Rigging a Thar Soft Top to my Roxor

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Since the full soft tops are hard to come by these days, and pretty pricey even if they were. I decided to roll the dice and buy a Thar soft top on Ebay for $320 + tax with free shipping. The top is supposed to snap onto a bunch of hardware that the Thar has and the Roxor doesn't, but since the dimensions of the two vehicles are the same I figured I could figure out a way to connect it. So far I've just added a lot of velcro to all the edges of the soft top. Then matching velcro along the windshield, parts of the cage cage, and using the tie down posts on the bed.

IMG_20220105_114215145_HDR.jpg

The biggest problem is with having just the Sport ROPS I have nothing to hold up the back end of the soft top. At first I figured I could just get the full passenger rops, but this soft top is slanted and the back (like the 2015-2019 Thars not flat back like the 2010-2014 Thars so I don't think it will fit over the passenger cage. For the meantime, I rigged up something super cheap using aluminum yard sticks, carpenter squares and such all zip tied and duct taped together. It's pretty flappy and loud right now. Long term I'm going to try and modify some marine top bows which should help the thing be a lot more tight. If I'm lucky it might end up being able to fold up and down too.

IMG_20220105_114237347_HDR.jpg

I also noticed I have the thing a little too far forward, by about 2 inches or so. So I'll have to redo some velcro, but I'll wait until I have top bows before I figure that out.

The top itself seems well made. All the stitching looks good and the fit is spot on. So far it stays on at speeds up to 45. The clear windows got wrinkled in shipping, but I'll see If I can take a hair dryer or a heat gun to them and see if I can smooth those out. If anyone is curious here is the link STITCHED SOFT TOP FOR MAHINDRA THAR CRDe.

I'll add some more pics as I work on it.

Last edited:

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Try to get the dimension you need the rear top supports. There are willy supply companies that should have tubing "bows" that should be a close fit. Or you can try a canvas shop. Alot of them can bend bows used for bimini tops in boats.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's an authentic looking top. Seems that readily available, easily bendable electrical conduit could make an inexpensive, light weight, rust resistant DIY frame.

MaXXis85

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I really like this. Im probably going to order one and have my cage modded to fit the top.

You could also use bimini top style supports.

RoxinatorAZ

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That looks great. Could also use PVC pipe to frame the back. How are you attaching it at the bottom to the body.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That's an authentic looking top. Seems that readily available, easily bendable electrical conduit could make an inexpensive, light weight, rust resistant DIY frame.
x2. EMT conduit bends easily, and doesn't cost that much.

BookBarbarian

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I must be lucky when it comes to timing because Fistler Fabrication just added uploaded a video to youtube getting a whole Thar soft top kit with all the hardware. So I can let him be my guinea pig and see what other Thar parts I should pick up to make this work, and which ones I can skip.

Anyway, time for an update!

I got a great deal on a 3 bow bimini frame that's 60" wide and 56" tall. The width is close to spot on. While I imagine I'll have to cut down the height a bit (or a lot) I'd rather trim material then try to add it. I'm just waiting for it to arrive now.

In the meantime I tweaked my makeshift setup by adding a $20 portable work-stand from harbor freight as temporary top bows. The back bow is holding up my little frame made of carpenter squares and 48" aluminum rulers from harbor freight. I also added some old vertical blinds for a kind of soft frame along the edges of the top but I don't think they are doing much, and I'll pull then out for the next revision of the frame.

IMG_20220110_102016561_HDR.jpg

It's good enough that I was able to move the top into (what I think is) the proper position. About 2 inches back from where I had it. I'm a lot happier with how it sits now.

a
IMG_20220110_095231654_HDR.jpg

The top comes with the velcro attachments at the back to attach to the 3 tie downs on the tailgate.

IMG_20220110_094920499_HDR.jpg

It also came with velcro along the sides edged of the bed. I just ran a matching 42" strip of velcro though the tie downs without even pulling the plastic off the back of my vecrro strip. (Plastic looks a little janky in the pic. I straightened it out after, but I'm too lazy to go take another picture)

IMG_20220110_094006781_HDR.jpg

It holds together well, but if I can find these Thar attachments for a good price I think I'll get them.

I also added more velcro attachments on the b-pillars and grab handle. Which all hold well.

IMG_20220110_102039341_HDR.jpg

What works a little less great is the top of the doors. The flap that hangs down and is supposed to attach to the Thar door frame doesn't line up very well with the Roxor ROPS. For now I have it velcroed to the underside of the cage tubing. But it isn't very tight and I'd like to put some grab handles there. I might just fold the flaps under the top too keep them from flapping in the wind and have no attachments right there at all.

I've also ordered so soft upper half doors so I'll have to revisit the setup once they get here.

IMG_20220110_102048162_HDR.jpg

All in all I'm confident this will work well with the right bows setup, but after some measurements I am realizing that If I want a folding setup I'll have to attach the bimini frame outside the body like some of the old military Willy's jeeps setups, or I'll have to get rid of the Sport ROPS and go with a custom cage. I'll probably end up going the latter route.

Plainsman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any updates on this project? It looks like something I might want to try, if it worked out for you.

GiStore

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Thar Owner
I have my own production of soft top in Marine grade Denim,We can make any changes that you may need for fitting to your Roxor.
Very recently we made one with extra frame support (as marked in attached picture .
I Also have ready full conversion kit of Thar to fit roxor
Let us know if we can help

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-24 at 08.29.16.jpeg

GiStore

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Thar Owner
Is this project still being shelved? I would love to put one on
I have the top & also selling the required frame to match it,The frame does require a bit of DIY efforts,Let me know