MAX A'S 1-1/2" FRONT AND 1" REAR SHACKLE LIFT KIT

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Hello All.......

In the boredom of the STAY IN PLACE AND SHELTER routine that many of us are currently facing, I decided I needed something to do. Soooooo I jumped on our forum and searched lifts. Wanted to level the Roxor out a bit. I found several threads where Max A had what looked like the answers. A 1-1/2" front leveling shackle set and a rear 1" shackle set so the Roxor would not squat if loaded down with the front lift installed.

First off, I emailed Max. I got a very swift response and within a few emails we had a deal. I used pay pal and he said he would produce the kit the next day and mail it out. The next day I got an email with tracking numbers and had the kit in my hands 2 days later. Way to go Max!

The shackles are raw steel the same thickness as the OEM shackles. The fronts are boomerang shaped and the rears are straight. Why they are shaped this way as opposed to being straight I have no clue but they look good. The rear are straight. Max preformed a fabrication clean up by sanding the sharp edges. I decided to paint them Semi Gloss black to look OEM. So I first hit all the edges with a wire brush in my 90 degree air grinder to remove any remaining slag from Max's Laser cutter and then hit the surfaces just to clean off any slag there. I them wiped them down with Acetone and laid them out on my paint booth, my recycle bins, for some primer and paint.

I shot one side with primer then waited 30 minutes and flipped them and primed the other side. After 30 minutes I shot the first side with black and let them dry for 30 minutes. Well wouldn't you know it, the black Rustolium paint was taking too dam long to dry. Sooooo I found an old AK-47 Cleaning rod there on a shelf and decided that it was the perfect paint rod. So I spaced the tacky half black parts on the AK rod. Hung them between the recycle and trash bins. Shot them black.

Now the install. Dragged the Roxor over to my buddy Pete's place. He has a big nice shop, every tool you could want and since my right knee blew out a few weeks back, Pete was going to do my install for me. So I have taken before and after pics. I have tape measure pics for a comparison. Its kinda hard to tell but pick out the top edge of the bumper, look for the edge of the top surface for a comparison. I measured at the front bumper, side step and rear bumper. We also measured the tow at the front of tire and at the rear. It has 1/4 inch tow in at front. 60-7/8" at the front, 61-1/8" at the rear. This is a wag, a guess for reference.

The install requires a floor jack and a few blocks of wood as a spacer, a few 15/16 wrenches or impact or whatever you have and desire to use but just 2 wrenches will do it. I just used the front bumper below the winch to lift the roxor. I first loosened the nuts and then jacked it up till the bolts came free. I then removed the OEM shackles. I then installed the new shackles with the top bolt and jacked the Roxor up until I could install the lower bolts. Once all the bolts were back in and tight I lowered the Roxor down. BADABING, it took all of 12 minutes. We measured the tow and it had changed by 1/8 inch. It was now 60-7/8 at the front, 61in the rear. So it is now 1/8 tow in. So I backed out of Pete's shop and spun around and backed in. We did the same process on the rear. Took less than 10 minutes. So all in all we had about 30 minutes in it. Front brake lines look like there are no issues, they are plenty long and the shocks look fine as well.

So off for a test drive. We did about 5 miles around his urban area. Steering was fine and so was the ride. It did seem like if you hauled ass around a tight turn that there was a tad more body roll but I never plan on removing the sway bar so no big deal to me. So we came back. We discussed the tow in and decided to dick with it. So we loosened up the tie rod, rod ends and rotated the rod about 1/2 turn and got the tow back to the 1/4" it was. We then went for a 30 minute romp on the back roads. DON'T TELL THE SHERIFF! LOL, They are FM roads after all and it is a tree farm implement. Now the fact that it's just 150 miles from the farm, Wellllll! Lol! All went well. No adverse effects from the lift. No rattles or noises were created. The ride seemed the same to me. No stiffer or looser, just a tad bit more body roll, I mean a tad. I don't know if the tow in is a big deal. My buddy Pete says 1/8" to 1/4" is always a good to go number for the non alignment rack, quick fix rule.

I say a GREAT PRODUCT and a QUICK MOD. MAX A did a super job on the hole diameters and the shackles were well made. Max did what he said, made them and shipped them when he said he would. That's a big deal for an old school fat ass like me! **** I AM A 100% SATISFIED CUSTOMER! ****

So here are a bunch of before and after pics.

BDRAG

Roxor Lift 11.jpg Roxor Lift 7.jpg Roxor Lift 13.jpg Roxor Lift 10.jpg Roxor Lift 12.jpg Roxor Lift 2.jpg Roxor Lift 3.jpg Roxor Lift 1.jpg

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
More Pics......

Roxor Lift 4.jpg Roxor Lift 5.jpg Roxor Lift 6.jpg Roxor Lift 8.jpg Roxor Lift 14.jpg Roxor Lift 9.jpg

Bob R

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Your install looks very good. Max did a great job on the shackles. The curved front's look very good to me.
I like your HillBilly Paint Booth. :) I am in the middle of a complete rebuild on my HiLift Jack that is going on the back of my Jeep MOAB. It has seen a similar paint booth after sand blasting.
What is the next upgrade planned?

Bob R

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Your install looks very good. Max did a great job on the shackles. The curved front's look very good to me.
I like your HillBilly Paint Booth. :) I am in the middle of a complete rebuild on my HiLift Jack that is going on the back of my Jeep MOAB. It has seen a similar paint booth after sand blasting.
What is the next upgrade planned?

Bob R

I ordered a set of 1.5 wheel spacers just this morn. I don't need tires, I have about 1000 miles total between driving and towing, mostly towing. I love the looks a set of 285/75/16 tires give the Roxor. Found an import set of load range D mud tires for under $500.00. So I am on the fence wether or not to go with the tires just yet! Will see. If I could get $150 or $200 for the K2O's I would pull the trigger on the tires.

BDRAG

Bob R

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I just put a new set of tires on my MOAB. I plan to keep the factory Jeep MOAB wheels on it. As my daily driver I needed a tire that would get good tire mileage as well as perform well in most conditions I will encounter. After lots of research I went with the Cooper S/T-MAXX tires in a LT265/70R-17. I thought about spacers and going a little wider, but I ended up going with a size tire not requiring them.
I am sorta retired. I now work 3 days a week at the local hardware store. We are still working, with throttled back hours to cut down public contact time.
Bob R

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nice write up! Max A. is 1st class! I did the same with mine front and rear shackles. I also added a 2.5" Pro Comp AAL to the front as well. I haven't had any issues with this set up. In addition to that I added 2" Spacers and a set of 33" tires to boot! I've put about 150 miles on it since then and I too am a 100% satisfied customer!

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Nice write up! I also added 2" Spacers and a set of 33" tires to

What tires did you go with? I was looking at some 245/75/16 that I can buy for less than $500 and they are 6 ply C load range which I want to keep the ride not harsh. Also, I have 1-1/2 spacers coming April 1st, I have never used spacers. Do I need to use some Blue LOCK-TITE on the threads of the spacers since I won't be able to check the lugs holding them on unless ya pull the wheels first?

BDRAG

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I went with Thunderer Tracs 285/75/16 from EBAY. They are about 32.6" tall I believe and I mounted them on my stock wheels for around $560. As far as the spacers, I didn't use any Lock-Tite but probably should have, I just used good ole elbow grease and heavy grunting to get them as tight as I could. I did check them after about 100 miles and only had 1 that needed to be turned about an 1/8 turn. You will have to pull the tires off to check them, which I highly recommend.

Roxor Lt front side view.jpg

Last edited: