ooooooooooo

Horsepower and torque readings with ECM tune

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
General question for all that have tunes from DF, Gilomen, etc. For those of you that run while using an OBD reader and app, what is the app showing for increased horsepower and torque? Stage 1? Stage 2? What other mods have you done that have increased those numbers? Also, not sure all apps are the same, but is it showing you HP & torque numbers at the crank or wheels? Thanks for sharing.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have an app, but i dont use the Hp value it provides.
As an engineer, I wonder how the apps would calculate Hp and torque. Fuel rate and MAP data could be used to get fuel to air ratio. Then there are probably tables that show what energy is generated. Whoever writes the app does not validate their algoritm with real agains dyno numbers. I think what any app out there will provide is merely for entertainment value.

If there would ever be an electric Roxor, it will be easy to calc and display torque. Only takes a few paramters on the electric motor, RPM, and current draw.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well your response answers my question to some degree. I use a OBDLink and the free app that goes with it. It would appear that additional values such as speed, rpm, fuel capacity, engine temp and others are reporting accurately. Boost is reported about 11 psi which follows what others have posted. I wrote to the manufacturer of the OBD reader and he claims it calculates HP at the crank.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Everything the ECU needs to run the engine at optimal fuel/air/RPM is on the OBD bus:
Air intake temp, manifold air pressure (MAP), fuel rate, RPM (explanation below), etc. The ECU uses the data on the bus every fraction of a second to run the engine.

RPM from the crankshaft is also used for the speedometer (RPM at the crankshaft, gearing and tire size from the factory = speed)

Whatever comes off a sensor is on the OBD bus and is correctly displayed on the Scanner tool.
If the numbers on the OBD scanner are to jumpy (change so fast that it is hard to read) then the developer should have used a filter. For instance, the engine needs to know the manifold pressure every 1/1000 sec, I don't. The developer should use a filter to just show data every 5, 10, 20, whatever seconds.

The company that developed the tool can say all kinds of stuff they calculate.
For instance, torque, the crankshaft would be the right spot. But the sensor on the crank shaft provides a signal that is converted to RPM (a hall sensor: metal rotating past a magnet of known field strength ... a small current is measured every time metal passes the magnet....etc...) Now the ECU now knows the RPM.

Anyway, as I said: whatever sensor data the engine needs to run perfectly is on the OBD and good information on the scanner tool.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
? I had even more engineering stuff in my post before I deleted 2/3 of my message before I hit the Post button.
In other words you simplified it more. I will need to read it again with to grasp it, lol. I have the Gilomen stage 2 and love it.

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anything inferior about the Gilomen tune for $200 less?

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you. Gilomen it is, whenever I decide I wanna go without the Roxor for a week.