ooooooooooo

Hi Lift Jack

Bob R1

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have owned Hi Lift Jacks since 1974. The one bought in 1974 was rebuilt, and repainted Red, and lives on the back of my Jeep Wrangler MOAB.

This is about the one for the Roxor. I have owned two Hi Lift Jacks for several years. The second one is the subject of this post. I have been looking at mounting options for Rocky. The Hood Mount looked like the best option on the Roxor with the Roll Bar configuration that I have. Several variations of the hood mount are available. The one that I liked the best ended up being the one sold by Roxor Parts Direct. It is one piece and and has the mounting studs a little more inboard than most two piece mounts. The Hold Down Knobs look good, and it comes with new Stainless Steel attachment bolts.

Both of my Hi Lift Jacks are the Original Version with a cast iron base. To start with I disassembled the jack to its component parts. And like the last rebuild, I took all the cast iron parts except the I Beam to the local glass shop who has a sand blaster cabinet, and had the parts cleaned down to bare metal. I removed the old paint on the I Beam with my angle grinder and a wire brush. with all the parts clean, I then applied several coats of KRYLON CAMOUFLAGE Ultra Flat in OLIVE Green. I purchased two cans, and only used one to paint the jack.
I thought that I had purchased a second Rebuild Kit for this jack a few years ago, but I could not locate it.

I reassembled the jack using the original parts yesterday, and put a rebuild kit (Fix-It-Kit) on the order sheet at the hardware store. I will have the Fix-It-Kit Wednesday. The rebuild kit comes with new Climbing Pins, Climbing Pin Springs, Cross Pins, and a new Pitman Bolt & Nut (Shear Pin), as well as a tube of WD40 Grease. It will take about Five Minutes to install the Fix-It-Kit. The Jack would have worked fine for years to come, without the Fix-It-Kit parts. However since I went to the trouble of cleaning it up and painting it, I might as well restore it the rest of the way to like new condition.

The Hi Lift Jack painted OD Green looks like it belongs on a WWll Jeep now. Which was the point. I have never seen a Military Hi Lift Jack, but I do suspect that they do exist. I would also not be surprised if they were painted OD Green.

I added a Handle Isolator in Black to the jack, from Quadratec.

The Hi-Lift-Jack gets a lot of negative comments from some off road so called experts. However I still see a lot of them in rural areas on Jeeps, and in truck beds. I have owned one for 50 years, I do not plan to try and replace it with some hi tech air bag. I do not use the jack very often, but when i do need to jack something up, it gets the job done. You just need to use caution, and keep in mind that it can be dangerous.

Bob R

Last edited:

Busted Knuckles

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Can be dangerous? It's only the most dangerous offroad jack available and known as the "jawbreaker" for good reason. My uncle lost the tip of his tongue to one seveal years ago.
I saw a device once that added outriggers near the base to add a lot of stability. Tip-over is one of the two major dangers.
Having one miss a pin latch when jacking up or down is the other. Sounds like you've done all you can to prevent this with new parts.
Keep 'er lubed good and watch the mechanisms as you operate it and as long as you've paid close attention to placment, etc. to prevent tip-over, you'll probably be fine.
We never could get Uncle Lisp to use one after his incident, though.