Farm tags?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I wonder if it would be a possibility to get Farm tags on a roxor in Texas

I looked into it, as I remember it doesn't meet the criteria. The use within 25 miles of property with an AG Tag is the way I am operation for now in and around my property . Remember to display the orange flag 6 feet above the vehicle.

I thought about registering mine as a Farm Trailer and see if gets tagged. I am then covered 100% if towing or driving. The driving as a ag discounted farm use and the trailer for the , well, you know! LOL.

I still do not see anywhere in the state regs where you can flat tow without registration of some sort. Tow with a dolly, its tagged. Tow on a trailer, its tagged. Flat tow the Roxor????? LOL!

BDRAG

Blackmouth

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just checked with the counties I will use mine. Best info I got was register for OHV plates in the county you will use it most. Skip all the street legal stuff. You do need lights, horns, brakes, etc. Keep motorcycle/ATV liability insurance. I got mine through USAA/Progressive for $14.75 a month fully insured.
Next contact the local law enforcement. I spoke to three deputies in three counties. Explained the Roxor is insured and " road worthy " at least for 25 miles to the cafe and feed store. All agreed if you are not impeding traffic (speed limiter removed), not being stupid... you are good. They told me no reason to pull you over unless committing an actual moving violation other than OHV plate. That being said, I will still put an illuminated licence plate bracket to be safe.
If you do get the chance, I would roll into your closest Sheriff dept and let them give it the once over and explain your intentions. I will bring breakfast tacos to mine. Our family properties just have to be where three fairly large counties meet and I do have an AG exemption card with me.
If you don't plan on getting plates it sounds like you need the slow moving vehicle triangle as high as possible and stay under 25mph.
Each jurisdiction has the right to do what they choose with these. Checking in advance with Tax office,PD-Sheriff Office is the way to go.
Texas DPS is a whole other pot of beans and just play it safe if pulled over. Keeping documents in a spot other than locked under your seat may be a good idea :)
I will keep you posted as I head south next week to check on feeders and our cabin.
House Bill (HB) 1548 – Off-Highway Vehicles | TxDMV Message Archive
1592501661916.png
1592501661916.png

1592501661916.png

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just checked with the counties I will use mine. Best info I got was register for OHV plates in the county you will use it most. Skip all the street legal stuff. You do need lights, horns, brakes, etc. Keep motorcycle/ATV liability insurance. I got mine through USAA/Progressive for $14.75 a month fully insured.
Next contact the local law enforcement. I spoke to three deputies in three counties. Explained the Roxor is insured and " road worthy " at least for 25 miles to the cafe and feed store. All agreed if you are not impeding traffic (speed limiter removed), not being stupid... you are good. They told me no reason to pull you over unless committing an actual moving violation other than OHV plate. That being said, I will still put an illuminated licence plate bracket to be safe.
If you do get the chance, I would roll into your closest Sheriff dept and let them give it the once over and explain your intentions. I will bring breakfast tacos to mine. Our family properties just have to be where three fairly large counties meet and I do have an AG exemption card with me.
If you don't plan on getting plates it sounds like you need the slow moving vehicle triangle as high as possible and stay under 25mph.
Each jurisdiction has the right to do what they choose with these. Checking in advance with Tax office,PD-Sheriff Office is the way to go.
Texas DPS is a whole other pot of beans and just play it safe if pulled over. Keeping documents in a spot other than locked under your seat may be a good idea :)
I will keep you posted as I head south next week to check on feeders and our cabin.
House Bill (HB) 1548 – Off-Highway Vehicles | TxDMV Message Archive
View attachment 6876View attachment 6876

View attachment 6876
The law states it must be an orange triangular flag. Not the common SMV triangle. You’ll need the flag and to have your lights on while on the road. I don’t care what the sheriff says. They may allow you to less but if you get a state trooper all bets are off. Best to follow the law to a “T” and know shoutouts be ticketed you can cite the regs in court and get it thrown out.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/pdf/TN.551A.pdf

Sec.A551A.057.AAAGRICULTURAL OR UTILITY OPERATION ON HIGHWAY. (a) The operator of an unregistered off-highway vehicle may operate the vehicle on a highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway if:
(1)AAthe transportation is in connection with:
(A)AAthe production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying, processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing, selling, or use of agricultural
products, as defined by Section 52.002, Agriculture Code; or (B)AAutility work performed by a utility;
(2)AAthe operator attaches to the back of the vehicle a triangular orange flag that is at least six feet above ground level; (3)AAthe vehicle ’s headlights and taillights are
illuminated;
(4)AAthe operation of the vehicle occurs in the
daytime; and
(5)AAthe operation of the vehicle does not exceed a
distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination. 17

(b)AANotwithstanding Section 551A.052, an off-highway vehicle operated under this section is not required to display a license plate.
(c)AAProvisions of this code regarding helmet and eye protection use, safety certification, and other vehicular restrictions do not apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle under this section.
Reenacted, transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 663.037(d) by Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1233 (H.B. 1548), Sec. 32, eff. June 14, 2019.
Amended by:
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1233 (H.B. 1548), Sec. 33, eff. June 14, 2019.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I looked into it, as I remember it doesn't meet the criteria. The use within 25 miles of property with an AG Tag is the way I am operation for now in and around my property . Remember to display the orange flag 6 feet above the vehicle.

I thought about registering mine as a Farm Trailer and see if gets tagged. I am then covered 100% if towing or driving. The driving as a ag discounted farm use and the trailer for the , well, you know! LOL.

I still do not see anywhere in the state regs where you can flat tow without registration of some sort. Tow with a dolly, its tagged. Tow on a trailer, its tagged. Flat tow the Roxor????? LOL!

BDRAG

with a hitch making the Roxor a trailer you don’t need plates. Under 4000 pounds.
TxDPS - CVE Farm Registration

Blackmouth

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

Sec.A551A.057.AAAGRICULTURAL OR UTILITY OPERATION ON HIGHWAY. (a) The operator of an unregistered off-highway vehicle may operate the vehicle on a highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway if:
(1)AAthe transportation is in connection with:
(A)AAthe production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying, processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing, selling, or use of agricultural
products, as defined by Section 52.002, Agriculture Code; or (B)AAutility work performed by a utility;
(2)AAthe operator attaches to the back of the vehicle a triangular orange flag that is at least six feet above ground level; (3)AAthe vehicle ’s headlights and taillights are
illuminated;
(4)AAthe operation of the vehicle occurs in the
daytime; and
(5)AAthe operation of the vehicle does not exceed a
distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination. 17

(b)AANotwithstanding Section 551A.052, an off-highway vehicle operated under this section is not required to display a license plate.
(c)AAProvisions of this code regarding helmet and eye protection use, safety certification, and other vehicular restrictions do not apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle under this section.
Reenacted, transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 663.037(d) by Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1233 (H.B. 1548), Sec. 32, eff. June 14, 2019.
Amended by:
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1233 (H.B. 1548), Sec. 33, eff. June 14, 2019.
Good info. Bexar county tax office had no idea what was talking about.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
the off road tag is new so it doesn’t surprise me that a major metro county doesn’t know about it.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
the off road tag is new so it doesn’t surprise me that a major metro county doesn’t know about it.

OFF ROAD TAG? Splain it to me because my dealer said they have been getting those for their customers and those customers are driving on the street?

BDRAG

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
OFF ROAD TAG? Splain it to me because my dealer said they have been getting those for their customers and those customers are driving on the street?

BDRAG

Sec. 551A.055.AAOPERATION AUTHORIZED IN CERTAIN AREAS.AAAn operator may operate an unregistered off-highway vehicle:
(1)AAin a master planned community:
(A)AAthat has in place a uniform set of
restrictive covenants; and

(B)AAfor which a county or municipality has approved a plat; or
(2)AAon a highway for which the posted speed limit is not more than 35 miles per hour, if the off-highway vehicle is operated:
(A)AAduring the daytime; and
(B)AAnot more than two miles from the location where the off-highway vehicle is usually parked and for
transportation to or from a golf course.
Added by Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1233 (H.B. 1548), Sec. 31, eff. June 14, 2019.

not the big loophole many thinks it is. Route must be approved and distance is extremely limited. primarily aimed at communities such as Port Aransas where golf carts can travel on the roads and beaches via city issued plates. Utvs weren’t able to get licensed only golf carts. This opens up the area to utvs and atvs. It’s a step in the right direction but only a baby step.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Sec. 551A.055.AAOPERATION AUTHORIZED IN CERTAIN AREAS.AAAn operator may operate an unregistered off-highway vehicle:

(2)AAon a highway for which the posted speed limit is not more than 35 miles per hour, if the off-highway vehicle is operated:
(B)AAnot more than two miles from the location where the off-highway vehicle is usually parked and for
Added by Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1233 (H.B. 1548), Sec. 31, eff. June 14, 2019.

not the big loophole many thinks it is. Route must be approved and distance is extremely limited. primarily aimed at communities such as Port Aransas where golf carts can travel on the roads and beaches via city issued plates. Utvs weren’t able to get licensed only golf carts. This opens up the area to utvs and atvs. It’s a step in the right direction but only a baby step.
Well screw it! I went and picked up an off highway plate. $15.00.

Drove around town testing the waters. Lol. Gonna see how far I can push it. Driving around the house area is great and is legal. That's 75% of what I want to be able to do. Run down for a burger or dounuts. Take the wife around for a cruise. Hope it becomes widely accepted. For $15.00, I'm in.

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #

I want to load my old Ford tractor wheels in the back and make a day trip on the back roads to my land to install them, then cruise back . We will see.

BDRAG

Harvey Cannon

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If you are a farmer or rancher you need to get the (Texas transportation code: 663.037). I have been stopped twice with no problem. I keep a copy of the code with me. The ones that stopped me was not aware of the code, so they had to check it out so they had me stopped a while. I have close to 13k miles on mine now and the most of the miles is on a farm to market highway.

Daddyflea

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I just got my Texas Off Highway License plates today. Paid $15 and it was worth it to just have my VIN on file. Most Officers have never seen one of these plates before anyway.

Farmer78

Still running a South Dakota tag on mine. I drive it to work (gainful employment) so really can't take advantage of the AG/TIMBER exception for farmers even though I have farming interests. If I get too much grief for the SD tag, I will take it off and put my whip antenna with orange triangle flag back on it and drive it anyway.