ooooooooooo

Well, I think I have the first warranty issue in the country...

BigDaddy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have been waiting to see how this went before I discussed it.

I took my roxor out for its initial run on 8/7 and was just on trails , no real 4 wheeling. I came to a little hill and started to climb. i was just crawling and could have made it up in 2wd if i was using a little momentum. The Roxor just spun one rear tire and slid down. I was kind of surprised so I pulled it into 4wd high - the transfer case lever moved, but it was mushy and didn't "snick" into gear like I would expect (yes, i tried it multiple times under every combination I could think of...lol) but when I tried again only one rear wheel would spin and i would slide back down.

So I followed directions and tried switching into 4wd low - same issue - no matter what i did it wouldn't ship out of 2wd high.

I drove it home and crawled underneath and the transfer case looks like the classic spicer 18 with one lever connected to two rods. One rod wouldn't budge. The lever movement was limited due to one rod not moving so it didn't allow the unit out of 2wd high.

I took the Roxor back to Ball Equipment in Richmond, MI. Where I purchased it and after I proved I wasn't an imbecile, that even though the transfer case lever appeared to move it was still in 2wd.

So Roxor required Ball Equipment to fill out the warranty info online (that took 3 days for the service department to do), Mahindra drove a completely new replacement transfer case out to Ball Equipment in less than 20 hours and delivered it in person.

That was impressive. But, I had decided that since i had experienced the stock open differentials - I absolutely could not live with them. So I ordered lunchbox lockers from On The Rox Fabrication for the front and back and had them shipped directly to the service department at the dealer to have them installed.. I wanted to support our Roxor community here and was paying up from what I knew I could purchase the units directly for.

Well, that turned into weeks waiting for the lockers to show up. While I like On The Rox Fab, and whatever the sourcing problems were , it still took weeks and maybe a dozen calls on my part to get the parts to the dealership.....

So, the dealer receives them early this week, and starts the R&R of transfer case and installation of lunchbox lockers....

I try to get an ETA or a status from Service at Ball and they are moving forward, its on the hoist like the day after the parts show up. But I cannot get an ETA, I call every day - Michael from service says I will call you when its done.

Today I was supposed to be headed out 4 wheeling with the Roxor.... except I have no Roxor and no ETA.... Service manager and I have words this morning because I believe its reasonable on my part to ask for an ETA, so I can plan my four wheeling weekend.

Well, after some unpleasantries I was informed that I will not have my Roxor because they need new dustcaps and a bolt for the transmission.

I offer to stop by roxor in Auburn Hills, as that is where I am, and pick them up and take them to the dealer so that I can have the Roxor for this weekend (the actual motivation behind my purchase)

I also understand that I can probably bring them anything they need as the dust caps they are referring to are probably a standard part - the bolt is a standard part.

But, the response is they are having problems sourcing these parts as these are new in the country, hopefully we will have them next week.

So, I sit here this AM... trying to decide what I think.... I do know that I haven't had problems like this with my jeeps...

I hate to be unpleasant, I really do, but the assumption that I just have to wait until its convenient for everyone and not have the use of my vehicle for the trip I purchased it for, really irritates me.

*sigh*

General

Founding Member
We feel your pain, man. So sorry for the delays. I've been there, too, and it's frustrating. If the T-case is an off-the-shelf item for Mahindra, I wonder if it hadn't been filled up with oil or something--issues from their new assembly plant & new workers, as others have been reporting recently. I trust that they'll fix these human errors over the next year or so, but that doesn't help you today. Hopefully Mahindra or the dealer give you a price break for the delays; couldn't hurt to ask.

BigDaddy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ok,

So I emailed my Salesman at Ball Equipment around noon, trying to be nice but see if i could get the roxor for the weekend if I found the missing bolt. A manager called me and said, the salesman filled him in, they will get it done before closing if I can bring the one left hand bolt for locker they buggered installing them for me. He even told me they identified the part number from autozone. I looked online and it was a 3 hr round trip to get the bolt and drive it to Ball Equipment.

Lol, so I ran out of my office and went and got the bolt and drove it there and they finished the install! So I had it for this weekend. They found extra dust caps in the "dealer kit" each dealer gets.

20180901_151217.jpg

I installed 32 11.5 15 tires qfter getting it back...

i do have a question about locker sounds.... but i will post that elsewhere

Norseman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
LE#62
I had a wrangler unlimited rubicon with extreme DEATH WOBBLE. I cannot tell you how much time and money (from not working) it cost me running down to Barton Jeep in Spokane. But the repair bills probably added up to 10K and the problem was never helped one iota.

I swore up and down that I would never own a newer jeep again that didn't have front leaf springs. I blamed the problem on the design as they basically part by part and visit by visit rebuilt the whole entire front end.

I traded it off on a Toyota Rock Warrior.....which was bulletproof and still being driven by my daughter.

I hope your after market locker problem is a simple fix. First time installs....your kinda the guniea pig.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
what is the difference between using the Warn manual lockers and lunch box lockers?
They are two different things...I think you're talking about warn hubs, which are on the ends of the front axle that allow you to disconnect the front wheels from the rest of the front differential, drive line etc, so it's all not spinning all the time to save wear and tear on the whole assembly and will give you slightly better fuel mileage. A lunch box locker will lock the gears in the differential to send power to both wheels, rather than only having one wheel spin with the stock open differential. Hope that makes sense.

arupp

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
They are two different things...I think you're talking about warn hubs, which are on the ends of the front axle that allow you to disconnect the front wheels from the rest of the front differential, drive line etc, so it's all not spinning all the time to save wear and tear on the whole assembly and will give you slightly better fuel mileage. A lunch box locker will lock the gears in the differential to send power to both wheels, rather than only having one wheel spin with the stock open differential. Hope that makes sense.
yes thank you for that. I think my plan will be to put warn hubs up front on each wheel, and a spartan locker in the rear. someone else on here mentioned that an OX locker up front would be better than a spartan lunchbox style. I'm very new at this so I'm trying to get all the research and do it right the first time. I have the tools and ability to do the warn hubs myself but I don't think I have the skills to do the rear lunch box. how much would be reasonable for a shop to do that part swap? the OX locker up front is going to have to wait a while, money is going in every direction of this build right now :LOL:

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
yes thank you for that. I think my plan will be to put warn hubs up front on each wheel, and a spartan locker in the rear. someone else on here mentioned that an OX locker up front would be better than a spartan lunchbox style. I'm very new at this so I'm trying to get all the research and do it right the first time. I have the tools and ability to do the warn hubs myself but I don't think I have the skills to do the rear lunch box. how much would be reasonable for a shop to do that part swap? the OX locker up front is going to have to wait a while, money is going in every direction of this build right now :LOL:
You're in the right place for sure! There's a lot of knowledge on this forum...I'm constantly checking it for a lot of different things. If you have something you're thinking about modifying, or upgrading something, chances are someone on here has already done it and knows the ins and outs.
I have a set of Warn hubs I haven't had time to put on...maybe tomorrow, lol. Lockers will have to wait for a while...these things are AMAZING even with open differentials! A few hours ago I took the girlfriend on a ride up a nearby canyon and wound up giving the ol' Roxor a pretty good hill climbing test up a little side trail, that pretty much turned into a an ATV trail that is about as steep a hill as I've ever attempted...and I've been wheeling for 40 years. I probably wouldn't have attempted it if she hadn't started screaming her head off telling me to stop, lol.:devilish: It was loose dirt and baseball size rocks and it had some twists and turns and just kept going up, up, up! it climbed it like a mountain goat, no problem at all, never spun out, never bogged down, never stopped climbing...man the torque in that little diesel is incredible, I can just imagine how it would be after a tune.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you're going to do to yours.

rseth020

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
You're in the right place for sure! There's a lot of knowledge on this forum...I'm constantly checking it for a lot of different things. If you have something you're thinking about modifying, or upgrading something, chances are someone on here has already done it and knows the ins and outs.
I have a set of Warn hubs I haven't had time to put on...maybe tomorrow, lol. Lockers will have to wait for a while...these things are AMAZING even with open differentials! A few hours ago I took the girlfriend on a ride up a nearby canyon and wound up giving the ol' Roxor a pretty good hill climbing test up a little side trail, that pretty much turned into a an ATV trail that is about as steep a hill as I've ever attempted...and I've been wheeling for 40 years. I probably wouldn't have attempted it if she hadn't started screaming her head off telling me to stop, lol.:devilish: It was loose dirt and baseball size rocks and it had some twists and turns and just kept going up, up, up! it climbed it like a mountain goat, no problem at all, never spun out, never bogged down, never stopped climbing...man the torque in that little diesel is incredible, I can just imagine how it would be after a tune.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you're going to do to yours.
I probably wouldn't have attempted it if she hadn't started screaming her head off telling me to stop, lol.:devilish: hahahaha

".... just kept going up, up, up! it climbed it like a mountain goat, no problem at all, never spun out, never bogged down, never stopped climbing...man the torque in that little diesel is incredible"...tells loudly..someone had a blast

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I probably wouldn't have attempted it if she hadn't started screaming her head off telling me to stop, lol.:devilish: hahahaha

".... just kept going up, up, up! it climbed it like a mountain goat, no problem at all, never spun out, never bogged down, never stopped climbing...man the torque in that little diesel is incredible"...tells loudly..someone had a blast
Lol! Yep, I definitely had fun.

Uncle Chuck

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
what is the difference between using the Warn manual lockers and lunch box lockers?
Please forgive in advance the length of my response! I just turned 67 and have been off-roading for DECADES! I hope somebody can benefit from my experience.
For the good folks who might be new to all things differential, please allow me to share. Manual hubs (any brand) go on the outer ends of the axle. Usually the front axle. They are used to connect or disconnect the spinning axle shaft (it’s inside the axle housing and you can’t see it) with the hub, to which the wheels are bolted. Then, let’s talk about differentials and what a “locker” is. Please understand that most vehicles come from the factory with what is called an “open” differential. (The actual differential is the gear setup inside the “pumpkin” somewhere near the middle of the front or rear axle housings.)
When you are turning a corner, the outside tire will travel at a higher speed and travel a greater distance than the inside tire. (Remember running the 440 track back in school?) An open differential compensates for this difference by allowing one wheel to just float, not providing any thrust. If both wheels turned at the same speed and distance, you would have increased wear and tear on the tires and the vehicle might just want to go in a straight line instead of making the turn. These units will only provide thrust to both wheels if the traction is equal. Ever have one wheel in the mud and the other one on hard ground? Mud tire sits there and spins! Most off-roaders opt for a different setup in order to keep from getting stuck like that. There are a number of different options here. Installation of a locker or a limited slip unit is usually best left to experienced pros who have all the right tools and knowledge. Key words here - limited slip and locker. An LS unit is designed to act like an open diff on the street. When you get down and dirty off road, they will ALMOST lock the left and right wheels together, but will allow for a “limited“ amount of slip. I’m thinking something like 10%. These units have little clutches in there and require the use of a special friction modifier in the gear oil. The clutches don’t last forever and will wear out. This is why I prefer a locker. I’m lazy and don’t want to have to deal with that periodic maintenance stuff on the differential. Then we have the option of some type of LOCKING differential. These guys literally lock the left and right axle shafts together for an absolutely positive grip on the ground. If you drive one of these, be mindful of their tendency to push your vehicle in a straight line. There are a ton of different brands and different ways they accomplish that mission. If you’re considering changing out the open diff for something more serious, do your research and get the one that fits your budget and intended use. Call an off-road shop and/or talk with people who are into off-roading!!! Don’t let anybody talk you into anything. People can be quite opinionated. Weigh the differences and make up your own mind. Now, back to your original question…..
A “lunchbox“ locker is a generic name for a particular type of locking differential which can be installed in an afternoon by just about anybody who knows their way around a big tool box. You’ll have to open up the pumpkin and dig in. My experience has been that they can only be installed where there is currently an OPEN differential installed. An easy way to find out if you have an open differential has long been to jack up one wheel and see if it spins when you put it in gear and try to drive away. DANGER! CAUTION! WARNING!
Some vehicles have automatic full-time 4wd and you’re gonna kill somebody or drive into your living room if you try this with that kind of vehicle.
Now I’m almost done. ?
I welcome any input from anyone who knows more than I do about the above subject! I’m not an expert, just really old and been around the mountain a few times. If I have misstated anything here, please feel free to correct my error or elaborate if you like!
Happy WHEELIN’!
BTW…. I just had 33” tires, 4.56 gears, locking diff in the rear and LS in the front, and a free-float rear axle kit put on my 2019 Roxor! (Thank you to On the Rox Fab!!) I also requested that they install Warn hubs on the rear axle so that I could unlock them and flat tow it without worrying about turning gears anywhere! Problem was that THERE ARE NO HUBS OUT THERE! Oh, there is definitely a Warn part number, but NOBODY IN THE COUNTRY has any and Warn doesn’t know if or when they might be available!
GRRRRRRRRR! ???

Uncle Chuck

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ok Folks, I got lucky…. I searched a ton of websites that had my Warn hubs listed as for sale. Nobody really had any. So I checked OfferUp. Nothing. I checked Craigslist. I’m in the Phoenix area and finally found ONE set, new in the box, in SPOKANE WASHINGTON, by a private seller. Spokane is a 4 hour drive from my daughter’s house. She said she wouldn’t be able to drive there any time soon, but had some cousins there. I arranged to send money through Venmo, and she got the hubs and sent them to me. Installed them yesterday! Now, flat towing with no worries about gears in the differential, transfer case, or transmission! HooooooRaaaaahh!

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok Folks, I got lucky…. I searched a ton of websites that had my Warn hubs listed as for sale. Nobody really had any. So I checked OfferUp. Nothing. I checked Craigslist. I’m in the Phoenix area and finally found ONE set, new in the box, in SPOKANE WASHINGTON, by a private seller. Spokane is a 4 hour drive from my daughter’s house. She said she wouldn’t be able to drive there any time soon, but had some cousins there. I arranged to send money through Venmo, and she got the hubs and sent them to me. Installed them yesterday! Now, flat towing with no worries about gears in the differential, transfer case, or transmission! HooooooRaaaaahh!
What a saga! The lengths we go to for our machines!

Evh1

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BTW…. I just had 33” tires, 4.56 gears, locking diff in the rear and LS in the front, and a free-float rear axle kit put on my 2019 Roxor! (Thank you to On the Rox Fab!!) I also requested that they install Warn hubs on the rear axle so that I could unlock them and flat tow it without worrying about turning gears anywhere! Problem was that THERE ARE NO HUBS OUT THERE! Oh, there is definitely a Warn part number, but NOBODY IN THE COUNTRY has any and Warn doesn’t know if or when they might be available!
GRRRRRRRRR! ???
Uncle Chuck - what brand locker and LS did you go with and why? I can see why an LS in front would make sense for turning vs locker push, but why not an electronic locker? Just a $$ decision?

Uncle Chuck

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
$$ was a consideration, but I also figure that the smaller number of systems I have on a vehicle, the less there is to go wrong 40 miles from the nearest pavement. Since this install, I have decided I don't like the Grizzly locker in the back. When making tight turns going forward or reverse on pavement, it makes a very loud popping sound. Sounds like I'm actually breaking gears back there! REALLY ANNOYING. I keep getting odd looks from people in parking lots. I'm planning to change to a TrueTrac.

Evh1

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
$$ was a consideration, but I also figure that the smaller number of systems I have on a vehicle, the less there is to go wrong 40 miles from the nearest pavement. Since this install, I have decided I don't like the Grizzly locker in the back. When making tight turns going forward or reverse on pavement, it makes a very loud popping sound. Sounds like I'm actually breaking gears back there! REALLY ANNOYING. I keep getting odd looks from people in parking lots. I'm planning to change to a TrueTrac.
Roger that. Murphy lives in multi-system stuff.
Let us know how you like the TrueTrac. Ran them in old Blazers moons ago and have thought of them for the Roxor. My next upgrade is posi so I'll be curious how yours does. I'm not a fan of the clicking either.

Greg

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have been waiting to see how this went before I discussed it.

I took my roxor out for its initial run on 8/7 and was just on trails , no real 4 wheeling. I came to a little hill and started to climb. i was just crawling and could have made it up in 2wd if i was using a little momentum. The Roxor just spun one rear tire and slid down. I was kind of surprised so I pulled it into 4wd high - the transfer case lever moved, but it was mushy and didn't "snick" into gear like I would expect (yes, i tried it multiple times under every combination I could think of...lol) but when I tried again only one rear wheel would spin and i would slide back down.

So I followed directions and tried switching into 4wd low - same issue - no matter what i did it wouldn't ship out of 2wd high.

I drove it home and crawled underneath and the transfer case looks like the classic spicer 18 with one lever connected to two rods. One rod wouldn't budge. The lever movement was limited due to one rod not moving so it didn't allow the unit out of 2wd high.

I took the Roxor back to Ball Equipment in Richmond, MI. Where I purchased it and after I proved I wasn't an imbecile, that even though the transfer case lever appeared to move it was still in 2wd.

So Roxor required Ball Equipment to fill out the warranty info online (that took 3 days for the service department to do), Mahindra drove a completely new replacement transfer case out to Ball Equipment in less than 20 hours and delivered it in person.

That was impressive. But, I had decided that since i had experienced the stock open differentials - I absolutely could not live with them. So I ordered lunchbox lockers from On The Rox Fabrication for the front and back and had them shipped directly to the service department at the dealer to have them installed.. I wanted to support our Roxor community here and was paying up from what I knew I could purchase the units directly for.

Well, that turned into weeks waiting for the lockers to show up. While I like On The Rox Fab, and whatever the sourcing problems were , it still took weeks and maybe a dozen calls on my part to get the parts to the dealership.....

So, the dealer receives them early this week, and starts the R&R of transfer case and installation of lunchbox lockers....

I try to get an ETA or a status from Service at Ball and they are moving forward, its on the hoist like the day after the parts show up. But I cannot get an ETA, I call every day - Michael from service says I will call you when its done.

Today I was supposed to be headed out 4 wheeling with the Roxor.... except I have no Roxor and no ETA.... Service manager and I have words this morning because I believe its reasonable on my part to ask for an ETA, so I can plan my four wheeling weekend.

Well, after some unpleasantries I was informed that I will not have my Roxor because they need new dustcaps and a bolt for the transmission.

I offer to stop by roxor in Auburn Hills, as that is where I am, and pick them up and take them to the dealer so that I can have the Roxor for this weekend (the actual motivation behind my purchase)

I also understand that I can probably bring them anything they need as the dust caps they are referring to are probably a standard part - the bolt is a standard part.

But, the response is they are having problems sourcing these parts as these are new in the country, hopefully we will have them next week.

So, I sit here this AM... trying to decide what I think.... I do know that I haven't had problems like this with my jeeps...

I hate to be unpleasant, I really do, but the assumption that I just have to wait until its convenient for everyone and not have the use of my vehicle for the trip I purchased it for, really irritates me.

*sigh*
The dealer will be the death of the Roxor. Jeep has nothing to worry about.
I have a 2022 all weather cab it lives in the shop.
My dealer has it more than I do. My dealer is incompetent. They just do not have the skill set they need.
Mahendran is no help. Mahendran makes excuses for the dealer.
They say the same thing waiting on parts. No service after the sale. All-weather cab your at 30, 000.
Its just to close to a price of a two door jeep. I purchased mine April of 2023 new.
Windshield is creaking around the wipers. I am defiantly selling my Roxor.
The transfer case slides in to 4 low or High. Going back to 2 wheel drive difficult at best.

Uncle Chuck

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
When you say that the dealer will be the death of Roxor, you couldn’t be more right!
Here in the Phoenix area, Nash Motorsports is the one, with 2 dealerships. I’ve done business with the one in Mesa. My first misadventure with them was when I took delivery of my 2019 in about February of ‘20. I had ordered the Vintage A/C / heater combination unit to be installed by them. Took a month to get it done. When I went to pick it up, I popped the hood to have a look. The A/C belt wasn’t even on the top pulley! It was actually forward of the pulley grooves and riding on the hub. I pointed it out and they apologized and fixed it. Should never have happened in the first place! Makes me wonder about the competence of the wrench-twisters. (Mechanic????)
Since then, I’ve had a couple of small issues, and when I call the service department looking for answers, all I ever get is a voice mailbox. So ok, I leave messages and usually, nobody ever calls me back. Once, I got a return call a week later!!
I’ve decided that, in spite of the fact that I purchased the extended warranty through them, it’s all pretty much worthless.
So now, if I can’t fix it myself, I just look for somebody else to do it. I’m pretty handy with a tool box, so I have only had work done on the differentials. Went from the factory 3.73’s to 4.56 with a limited slip front and Grizzly locker in the rear. I also had AZ Differential install the free-float axle kit from OTR. Then, I installed Warn hubs on the front AND the rear axles for flat towing the Roxor.
Summary: I suspect that the mechanics at the “MOTORCYCLE” dealers are fairly clueless when it comes to a vehicle like this.
They couldn’t even figure out how to add gear oil to the transfer case or transmission! Had to do that myself!!!