ooooooooooo

Transmission gear options

Lebers driven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I dove down a rabbit hole a while back on the mahindra transmission for the roxor and discovered that this vehicle sold in India has the same transmission but the first three gears are geared lower. Four is still direct and five is still an overdrive. I talk to my dealer and he said there is no way to get your hands on the Indian transmission. I would really like to gear this thing even lower. I have a 2022 with 5.38s in the axles so I’m down to the transfer case and transmission for more gearing. Thoughts? please do not recommend smaller tires. Don’t need that kind of negativity lol

C6730CED-184C-4338-B8D5-3236119EFB47.jpeg

Reactions: lcp

lcp

Do you have a link to information on that transmission? That might be a good lower gearing solution for those of us with older, higher geared machines. It might be more cost effective to order that trans from India and replace it instead of regearing the diffs...

Lebers driven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

I’m trying to find some more of the old links but info is few and far between and if you start looking at parts for sale you will be directed to Indian websites. Let me know if you have any luck

lcp

I’m trying to find some more of the old links but info is few and far between and if you start looking at parts for sale you will be directed to Indian websites. Let me know if you have any luck
According to the ultimate authority on all things true and pertinent, Wikipedia, this is the manual transmission in our Roxors, the NGT520:

NGT520-4WD_desktop.jpg

Product CodeNGT520 (For 4WD Application)
Product Description5 Speed Manual Transmission
Maximum Torque Capacity220 N-m
Configuration2 Shaft design
Speeds5 Forward and 1 Reverse
Gear Ratio Spread5.06 - 4.78
Gear RatioV4 - V1
1st Gear4.00 - 3.78
2nd Gear2.09 - 2.24
3rd Gear1.38 - 1.43
4th Gear1.00 - 1.00
5th Gear0.79 - 0.79
6th GearN.A.
Reverse Gear3.52 - 3.52
FD GearN. A.
SynchronizationForward gears: Single cone
Reverse gear : Sliding mesh
Weight (Dry)53 kg (Without Clutch Housing)
Gear Shifter SystemRod type (Direct Shift)
LubricationSplash Type
Oil Capacity2.3 liters

Lebers driven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
According to the ultimate authority on all things true and pertinent, Wikipedia, this is the manual transmission in our Roxors, the NGT520:

View attachment 11888

Product CodeNGT520 (For 4WD Application)
Product Description5 Speed Manual Transmission
Maximum Torque Capacity220 N-m
Configuration2 Shaft design
Speeds5 Forward and 1 Reverse
Gear Ratio Spread5.06 - 4.78
Gear RatioV4 - V1
1st Gear4.00 - 3.78
2nd Gear2.09 - 2.24
3rd Gear1.38 - 1.43
4th Gear1.00 - 1.00
5th Gear0.79 - 0.79
6th GearN.A.
Reverse Gear3.52 - 3.52
FD GearN. A.
SynchronizationForward gears: Single cone
Reverse gear : Sliding mesh
Weight (Dry)53 kg (Without Clutch Housing)
Gear Shifter SystemRod type (Direct Shift)
LubricationSplash Type
Oil Capacity2.3 liters
Correct and I think we have the V 1 in America. I want the v 4

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’m not sure we’d like that huge jump from 1st to 2nd. I want that lower 1st gearing but it’s a bigger jump than what we currently have.

lcp

I’m not sure we’d like that huge jump from 1st to 2nd. I want that lower 1st gearing but it’s a bigger jump than what we currently have.
I didn't notice that. I wonder if the numbers are switched for 2nd and 3rd gears.

Lebers driven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ya you would have to really run out first gear before shifting :/ but how else could I slow the roxor down for crawling?

lcp

Ya you would have to really run out first gear before shifting :/ but how else could I slow the roxor down for crawling?
The difference in first gear would only give you about a 5% reduction in speed. It might not be worth the trouble unless you could get the new transmission as easily as an original replacement and needed a transmission anyway.

Lebers driven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The difference in first gear would only give you about a 5% reduction in speed. It might not be worth the trouble unless you could get the new transmission as easily as an original replacement and needed a transmission anyway.
it doesn’t seem like a whole lot but since the gear change is happening in the transmission, you still have to multiply the transfer case ratio then multiply your differential ratio to get to your final drive ratio so a small difference in the transmission will feel larger than it seems

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice find. v4 final drive with 5.38 in low would be 58.75:1 and the v1 would be 55.52:1. That's the difference of 1.8mph vs 1.9mph @1000 rpm with 35s. I don't know if its worth it.

You may be better off getting a lower idle put in your tune for slow crawling. I had Diesel Freak drop my idle by 10%. Still has plenty of torque and oil pressure but have a slower crawl.

Lebers driven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice find. v4 final drive with 5.38 in low would be 58.75:1 and the v1 would be 55.52:1. That's the difference of 1.8mph vs 1.9mph @1000 rpm with 35s. I don't know if its worth it.

You may be better off getting a lower idle put in your tune for slow crawling. I had Diesel Freak drop my idle by 10%. Still has plenty of torque and oil pressure but have a slower crawl.
I have been wondering about that option! My idle is still at 825 or 850, whatever the factory is and I have been able to idle up quite a bit of the obstacles if it wasn’t super technical.
And thanks for doing the math for me. I think you’re right on the transmission idea

lcp

I just ran the numbers through Grimmjeeper.com's gear ratio calculator and got these results (attached PDF file). This website is a fantastic tool for estimating what gear changes will do for you.

Attachments

• Gear Ratio Calculator.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 125

lcp

This is off topic, but message me if you ever bring the Roxor to Katemcy Rocks or Wolf Caves. I live close to those rock crawling parks. I'd love to come out and check out your rig.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@lcp

Great minds think alike!

Is the roxor only a 2.43 low? I just assumed it was 2.73.

lcp

@lcp

Great minds think alike!

Is the roxor only a 2.43 low? I just assumed it was 2.73.
I just plugged in the low ratio for a Dana 18. I really don't know what it really is. The request for a message ahead of a visit to Katemcy Rocks and/or Wolf Caves applies to you too. I'd love to meet up and watch your machine in action if you ever make it down this far.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just plugged in the low ratio for a Dana 18. I really don't know what it really is. The request for a message ahead of a visit to Katemcy Rocks and/or Wolf Caves applies to you too. I'd love to meet up and watch your machine in action if you ever make it down this far.
Katemcy is definitely on my wheeling bucket list.