ooooooooooo

Transfer case problems. Hard to shift into 4wd

Spudfarmer

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hello all new Roxor owner here. Bought one to replace our ranger on our potato farm. We hope these things last a longer than our previous rangers!
Went for a test run today around the farm and got stuck in some mud. Tried to shift into 4wd but it was virtually impossible. I ended up reversing out in 2 wd drive and made it home. I did end up getting into 4wd but it is a bugger to change. Roxor is new but had 36 miles on it when I purchased it. I'm wondering if it doesn't get better than about taking it back for the dealer to work as I cant tolerate this as we use 4wd slot to get to center pivots.

Anyone else experience this? I've thing about checking the fluid tomorrow to see if the dealer forgot to put transfer case fluid.

B

Bister

All is good. They are hard to shift when new, just needs breaking in. Shift it lots from 2x4 to 4x4 while on the go. This is mentioned in the manual, it helps break it in. If you are trying to shift it while stopped, you may need to feather the clutch to get it to slip in.

txfarmboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree. I have around 900 miles on mine and use it on the farm daily, and the transfer case shift is a lot easier now than when new. I also tend to keep mine in low range most of the time, not so much for the 4 wheel drive but to slow the vehicle down on rough terrain and thru the woods and that helps keep me from riding the clutch so much.

Semperfi

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hello all new Roxor owner here. Bought one to replace our ranger on our potato farm. We hope these things last a longer than our previous rangers!
Went for a test run today around the farm and got stuck in some mud. Tried to shift into 4wd but it was virtually impossible. I ended up reversing out in 2 wd drive and made it home. I did end up getting into 4wd but it is a bugger to change. Roxor is new but had 36 miles on it when I purchased it. I'm wondering if it doesn't get better than about taking it back for the dealer to work as I cant tolerate this as we use 4wd slot to get to center pivots.

Anyone else experience this? I've thing about checking the fluid tomorrow to see if the dealer forgot to put transfer case fluid.
Hey Spudfarmer, first of all, Welcome!!!! I had a terrible time with putting mine into 4-wheel drive when new, also. I took a can of spray lithium grease, slid under the Roxor and lubed the shaft and linkage on the transfer case. The factory paints the shaft that enters the case for 4-wheel drive. Then work the daylights out of it and PRESTO!!!! Mine works slick as a whistle. Hope this helps.

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I felt like I was going to snap my transfer case lever when I first got mine it was so difficult. It has gotten immensely better over time. Until it does, find a small hill, let it roll backward a bit as you shift into 4L. This trick always worked for me.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Mine was extremely stiff when brand new. Someone advised me to try shift in and out of 4WD on a slight uphill grade with the vehicle rolling slowly backwards. This made all the difference until it loosened up. Any kind of slight slope in the land or undulation in the driveway is all you need.